Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hey Rush man , I'm 100% with you man, while I'm loving my Pre-Plus everyday. And I can tell you that i'm done with buying any phone whatsoever for next 5 years, unless I break this one, or it gets lost or stolen. I hope they just go on working on webOS fixin' 'n enhancing it while I enjoy using my Pre-Plus. As I always say, PRE-PLUS IS THE WORLD'S BEST COMPACT SMARTPHONE EVER BUILT YET.

My Palm history: M500--->Treo650--->Pre+
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by voirob View Post
    Hey Rush man , I'm 100% with you man, while I'm loving my Pre-Plus everyday. And I can tell you that i'm done with buying any phone whatsoever for next 5 years, unless I break this one, or it gets lost or stolen. I hope they just go on working on webOS fixin' 'n enhancing it while I enjoy using my Pre-Plus. As I always say, PRE-PLUS IS THE WORLD'S BEST COMPACT SMARTPHONE EVER BUILT YET.

My Palm history: M500--->Treo650--->Pre+
    I could not have said it better. keeping the same size and fixing the slider problem would be the best way to go.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I agree with that, but the point is that bad first impression was made, so now they need to get away from it by not evoking it at all. So...yeah, pretty much everything they can change, they should.
    Sorry if this has been discussed to death, but we are minority (the expert users) majority of the Palm Pre owners that I know are still on their first device. Many of them know nothing about the phone but the Phone app, Navigation, Email App, Browser App and Texting. I generally agree with you on the build quality but for majority it is adequate. Not desirable. HP/Palm should make them desirable by coming up with sturdy designs first , then market them like they are the greatest thing since slice ....
    Did you notice the "Retina" thing that Steve marketed yesterday ? You will see a million folks will be eating and breathing the "Retina" display thing.

All I want from HP / Palm is to improve the phone so that it won't be returned.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    I could not have said it better. keeping the same size and fixing the slider problem would be the best way to go.
    I would add , keeping the same exterior size but increasing the screen size.
    The rest keyboard,slider ..... have to be replaced with better quality.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    The iPhone was a quality piece of hardware, one that was build really well. The Pre isn't. They need a new look to get away from the cheap look and feel of the current hardware. Apple didn't need to change the look of the phone because people knew it was well built, and one look at the yearly upgrades people knew without even touching it that it was going to be a solid device.

The Pre doesn't have that luxury. Almost everyone agrees it's build like crap, and even feels cheap and "plasticy" in the hand. If they don't change the design, even if the new phone is build like a rock, it'll be stuck with the stigma of being cheap and poorly built by those who won't bother to try it out. People will take one look at it, say it looks like the old one so it must be build like crap too, and never look back.

Unfair? Yeah, maybe. But that's humanity for you. We love attaching preconceptions to things.

They need to ditch the Pre design entirely, IMO. They can keep a vertical slider if they want, but don't make it look like the Pre. A Dell Lightning type look would be fantastic. The Pixi form factor is OK, because it's well built.
    I don't see what's so bad about having multiple models and form factors. I know several people that refuse iphones because they insist on physical keyboards. Of course, Apple could care less about those people - they've brainwashed the masses.

I don't buy that most people have issues with how solid or cheap something feels in their hands vs how well it performs.
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohaste View Post
    The Pixi form factor is OK, because it's well built.
    That was my thoughts also.
    A few here have photoshopped a Treo Pro with the Screen size of a Pre.
    I'd buy that.
  8.    #48  
    @beanis your right most people don't have an issue with how solid or cheap a phone is.. For me it matters how well can that phone perform,and the capabilities of the device. I for one love everything this phone offers,but a little improvement wouldn't hurt either. :-).

Some like coffee others prefer tea. We all have our opinions and choices.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I don't see what's so bad about having multiple models and form factors. I know several people that refuse iphones because they insist on physical keyboards. Of course, Apple could care less about those people - they've brainwashed the masses.

I don't buy that most people have issues with how solid or cheap something feels in their hands vs how well it performs.
    +1 I totally agree, nothing wrong in having diff form factors. Palm also needs to think of this as a business as well, yes you will always have your loyal fans that will support you but for how long? The fact that they got bought out by HP is an indication. So the next device has to be on par with EVO and iPhone 4, so nothing less than 1ghz processor and front face cam.
    When the Pre came out it was marveled for being so small, yet large enough to get the job done. Also, it was said to be somewhat thin, at least while open. This is the Pre don't mess with that. Of course the thing is going to look out dated after a year on the market. I'm sure Palm/HP will put out another powerhouse device, but it might not be the Pre 2 just another WebOS phone.

Rest assured the next WebOS flagship will have to match or beat the specs on the new iPhone or the EVO...so expect two cameras w/ more MP's, more memory, petter processor, higher resolution screen, battery, etc.....

The thing needs to come out soon or it'll be lapped faster than the Pre was.
    While yes, apples strategy is very successful for them, there is another company with a different strategy that is much more successful in the market today. RIM! They are selling more phones in the US than any other OEM out there, and for a good reason. Not only do they get the benefit of vertical integration like apple (which, by the way, they were doing long before apple even got in the smartphone business) but they also give their customers a choice! Imagine that.

I really hope hp decides to go this route and offers us a wide variety of hardware to choose from. They have the advantage of tightly integrated hardware and software, and they could provide a diverse selection of smartphones on all carriers, without worrying about fragmentation found on android.

Pre
    Pixi
    landscape slider
    touchslab

I want to see webos on those four form factors. Isn't it ironic that of all of them, the vertical slider is the least proven in the market?
    Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    hmmm...disagreed...They should make it longer and bigger so they can put a keyboard on it just like the pixi, centro and treo 800 instead of puttting a shakey keyboard that pulls out. It'll look more elegant that way.
    Umm that would be a completely different device and hence should not be called a Pre. More variety of WebOS devices would be a big plus as with all of the Android devices, but the Pre Form factor should not fluctuate much from where it is now. A slightly larger screen with a thinner gesture area would be great with all new internal hardware and of course a rework of the slide mechanism, keyboard and housing materials would put the Pre back in the game IMO. I personally chose the Pre for it's form factor and not the OS. I'm not discrediting WebOS in any way, I just personally prefer Android a bit more, but I have a PRE.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegb856 View Post
    Umm that would be a completely different device and hence should not be called a Pre. More variety of WebOS devices would be a big plus as with all of the Android devices, but the Pre Form factor should not fluctuate much from where it is now. A slightly larger screen with a thinner gesture area would be great with all new internal hardware and of course a rework of the slide mechanism, keyboard and housing materials would put the Pre back in the game IMO. I personally chose the Pre for it's form factor and not the OS. I'm not discrediting WebOS in any way, I just personally prefer Android a bit more, but I have a PRE.
    So the form factor is what makes it a Pre? Do you know how many devices out there have the exact form factor? Its the OS/GUI that makes the Pre. Not the form factor needs to change, Palm does not have the power apple does to force feed you the form factor. Palm needs to compete, and in order to do that they need variety.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

Everyone agrees WebOS is the best thing about either device. No one says the form factor, the screen size, the glossy finish, the horribly placed charging port or the keyboard.
    I love the form factor, screen size, glossy finish, charging port placement and the keyboard of the Pre.

Nobody??
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I love the form factor, screen size, glossy finish, charging port placement and the keyboard of the Pre.

Nobody??
    Awww, man, you proved I was not absolutely, literally correct. There goes my point...
    I'll say it again:
    "If an Apple iPhone jumped off a bridge, then should a Pre do it too?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    So the form factor is what makes it a Pre? Do you know how many devices out there have the exact form factor? Its the OS/GUI that makes the Pre. Not the form factor needs to change, Palm does not have the power apple does to force feed you the form factor. Palm needs to compete, and in order to do that they need variety.
    You forgot about the Pixi.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You forgot about the Pixi.
    To be fair, most other people have too...
    Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Pre is a model that uses Palm's WebOS. If you change the form factor completely then that would be a different model and should not be called a Pre and it should be given a different name.

Pre is not a Brand, Palm is the brand and WebOS is the operating system that it runs. Pre is just one of the models running WebOS.
    well I for one love my pre+ on the Big V. BUT I also just want a 2.0 Pre... You know just like Mr. Jobies & the fuitPhone. Same thing just better.

More to that can we still get MORE Please. That (like others said) will pull Palm out of the slump.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast