Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I've said this many times, and I'm going to say it again: if Palm ever ditches the keyboard slider and goes slate large screen only, I'm ditching it and going back to my old Nokia pseudo-smartphone.

Though the BlackBerry 9800 looks interesting and could be my backup route.
    +1
    with hp's money pumping in (if they do pump in), palm can always comes out with multiple devices. A next gen kick-*** 'geek' version, then improve the spec of the curent pre plus, i think it will sells.
    If HP is smart, they will abandon every design decision of the Pre and Pixi along with the branding. It's one thing to revive a once-successful brand and/or model that has fallen into disregard and disrepair. It's quite another to elevate one that never succeeded in the first place.

Everyone agrees WebOS is the best thing about either device. No one says the form factor, the screen size, the glossy finish, the horribly placed charging port or the keyboard.

So pretty much everything non-WebOS should be seriously upgraded and altered. Matte materials, metal, and glass. Much bigger screen. Better keyboard or none at all. Put all plug-in ports to the bottom (with the exception of the headphone jack, of course), and no cheesy $.02 plastic covers. If existing WebOS fans aren't down with that, secondhand Pre Pluses will be available for cheap for many years to come.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If existing WebOS fans aren't down with that, secondhand Pre Pluses will be available for cheap for many years to come.
    +1,
    Pre form factor is distinct, HP should make it perfect with all metal case and a 4 inch screen with BB like keyboard.
  5.    #25  
    If HP is smart, they will abandon every design decision of the Pre and Pixi along with the branding. It's one thing to revive a once-successful brand and/or model that has fallen into disregard and disrepair. It's quite another to elevate one that never succeeded in the first place.

Everyone agrees WebOS is the best thing about either device. No one says the form factor, the screen size, the glossy finish, the horribly placed charging port or the keyboard.

So pretty much everything non-WebOS should be seriously upgraded and altered. Matte materials, metal, and glass. Much bigger screen. Better keyboard or none at all. Put all plug-in ports to the bottom (with the exception of the headphone jack, of course), and no cheesy $.02 plastic covers. If existing WebOS fans aren't down with that, secondhand Pre Pluses will be available for cheap for many years to come.
    Abandon every design and then what? Make different phones and label them (HP) I don't think so. Don't throw away something unless it's completely dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Apple always has a way of duping us into thinking that we have never seen the new features they add to their phones. Holy crap! 3G! Video Recording! A front facing camera! LED Flash! Multitasking! Whatever.

Granted I must admit, they have very smooth and likeable products. But this is how they brainwash the public...
    Well if you consider their new phone has more resolution than Evo, better battery life than Evo, and smaller form factor, and a larger app library, i'm kinda feeling sorry for those who already bought an Evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Abandon every design and then what? Make different phones and label them (HP) I don't think so. Don't throw away something unless it's completely dead.
    How else would you describe the state of Palm as a company and the Pre and Pixi Plus prior to the HP acquisition?

Have you heard HP executives mention ONCE how much they like the branding or devices of Palm? They bought it for intellectual property, not the physical.

I bought the Pre because it had a physical keyboard. May not be the sturdiest. If Palm made their phone with the same quality as Apple, i'm sure it would have been a lot more successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I bought the Pre because it had a physical keyboard. May not be the sturdiest. If Palm made their phone with the same quality as Apple, i'm sure it would have been a lot more successful.
    I agree with that, but the point is that bad first impression was made, so now they need to get away from it by not evoking it at all. So...yeah, pretty much everything they can change, they should.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Well if you consider their new phone has more resolution than Evo, better battery life than Evo, and smaller form factor, and a larger app library, i'm kinda feeling sorry for those who already bought an Evo.
    Why? Who bought the Evo looking for Apple's app library or smaller screen and form factor? Nobody.

Hardware specs are great, but you are still limited to rows of icons, no active agenda/widget info being pushed to you, horrible notifications, horrible social media/contact integration, AT&T's crap network, and data plans that aren't unlimited and cost more. No amount of screen clarity of shiny glass changes those aspects.
    I like the idea of 3 choices - one like the pixi, one like the pre, and a slab (cause there's plenty of people that want one). Improve on the current designs of course, but keep the general idea of them. A bigger screen on the Pre is a great idea, but not over the top (That's what the slab will be for).

And yes, they should ditch the current names (Pre and Pixi, but keep them Palm labeled). Too many bad feelings surround the names, start with some new names to generate new interest.
  12.    #32  
    How else would you describe the state of Palm as a company and the Pre and Pixi Plus prior to the HP acquisition?

Have you heard HP executives mention ONCE how much they like the branding or devices of Palm? They bought it for intellectual property, not the physical.
    The truth is we really don't know what goes on behind close door. We all know that Palm wasn't maturing the way they should have. Even if HP did not bought palm do you think palm would be no more? let me answer that for you.. "NO" Palm would surely still be in the smart phone business,maybe not the best.. but one of the most elegant operating system ever made.
    The Iphone since first launch as never change its look or formation. Steve Jobs only make each generation even better than the one before. Even though I am not a Iphone lover,but I do respect the company's effort. Most people are looking for Palm to completely change the formation and size of the Palm pre/plus,because of this or that. How about palm keeping the pre/plus the way it is and permanently get rid of the oreo effect the phone seem to have. Add a slightly larger screen. I love the size of the phone and personally don't need one larger than this. Do y'all think this is a good idea?
    Because Palm isn't Apple.
    The truth is we really don't know what goes on behind close door. We all know that Palm wasn't maturing the way they should have. Even if HP did not bought palm do you think palm would be no more? let me answer that for you.. "NO" Palm would surely still be in the smart phone business,maybe not the best.. but one of the most elegant operating system ever made.
    Uh, we do know. When Palm had to disclose financials in the wake of the acquisition, they revealed that they had roughly enough cash to last until the end of the year given their current burn rate and projected revenue.
  15.    #35  
    Ok,I might have overlook that one. Regardless of everything webos rocks.
    The main reason I chose the Pre is the form, both size and shape. I stayed away from a Droid because it is physically too large. I have no place to carry a large phone the size of a brick. I want a stone, not a brick.

Don't make the screen larger, 'cause it will mean the phone has to be larger dimensioned. Don't ditch the physical keyboard, 'cause on a smaller screen the virtual keyboard is close to useless for my fat fingers. I love the rounded corners and the way the unit feels in my hand.

Where the Pre can use a lot of improvement is quality, from annoying things like creaky battery bay covers, to weak slider mech, damage-prone speaker, cheap power buttons, to touchstones that too often don't work unless you stick a business card between unit and stone.

Give me a unit the feels of quality, and I am a happy man. Oh..and put in a faster processor to eliminate the really annoying lag. Doubling the battery life will also be nice.

The reason the iphone design is surviving is that it was a quality design and quality build from day one. Nothing on the iPhone feels cheap.
    The iPhone hasn't changed its overall form factor for one reason: It works for its customers. Why "fix" what isn't "broken"? If you have a formula for success that is working, you don't change it while it is still working. Plain and simple.

For Palm, this is not the case. While we can all appreciate the beauty and elegance of webOS, we have seen plenty of consternation over the hardware, form factor, incomplete implementation, and overall marketing strategy (of lack thereof) for Palm's new platform. In some ways, Palm tried to follow Apple's first-generation iPhone playbook. The problem with doing so, however, was that by the time Palm actually introduced and got the Pre into people's hands, Apple had introduced their second and nearly third generation devices. Also, the market had changed to reflect those newly-introduced devices.

The things that Apple got away with while introducing their first-generation iPhone simply won't fly in today's market (and didn't really fly when Palm first introduced the Pre). Now that iPhone is entrenched in consumers' minds, it is an even harder battle to change consumers' minds and convince them that another product is better... especially if it can't be fully articulated in a 30-second commercial.

So, I think Palm/HP needs to be open to making whatever changes are going to make people take notice for the better. Sure, I like the Pre's form factor. I like the fact that my full screen is always available (no virtual keyboard getting in the way--though it should still be available for landscape operations if users want it). I like the overall size of the device, but I'm certainly not against a larger display. If that means a larger/longer device, I wouldn't be against it.

Bottom line: Stick with what works. Change what doesn't. Don't half-step. The days of half-complete products being runaway successes are OVER. Apple caught that train. Palm missed it, but tried to hook on to the caboose and failed. Now they need to catch a new train and they better jump on it BEFORE it leaves the station this time.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Apple always has a way of duping us into thinking that we have never seen the new features they add to their phones. Holy crap! 3G! Video Recording! A front facing camera! LED Flash! Multitasking! Whatever.

Granted I must admit, they have very smooth and likeable products. But this is how they brainwash the public...
    I mean *** do you want the CEO to do? He's selling and successfully marketing his products. Something Palm wasn't doing too well at over the last year. Whatever Apple is doing looks like its working.

Getting back to the topic, Palm doesn't have to change its form, but they have the make incredible hardware for the form factor they choose to gain success.
    Quote Originally Posted by luau joe View Post
    The main reason I chose the Pre is the form, both size and shape. I stayed away from a Droid because it is physically too large. I have no place to carry a large phone the size of a brick. I want a stone, not a brick.

Don't make the screen larger, 'cause it will mean the phone has to be larger dimensioned.
    Yeah, who would want to remain competitive with other devices using 3.5-4 inches for less scrolling on Web pages, along with more real estate for gaming, video, and eReading?

3.1 inches or bust! Actually, that should read 3.1 inches AND bust, which is exactly what will happen if HPalm combines a niche OS with a niche form factor AGAIN.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I prefer same form factor witha 4" screen. If feasible, make the body more rigid, water resistant, and the screen more scratch resistant. Use of multiple microphones for noise reduction is another feature I value.

video talk is compelling, but I think the network service won't provide quality and affordable service, so I doubt it will be a strong market demand until the service is proven.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast