Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Need some advice. I got my Palm Pre Plus a little over a week ago. I didn't get the insurance at the time, but I'm wondering whether that was a mistake. What are the advantages of the insurance over the Palm warranty? I guess I want to know if the Verizon "insurance" is actual insurance? (Does it cover accidental damage, etc.?) What do people think? Is it worth it?

Thanks,
    JD
    it gives me piece of mind. I have sprint and I can destroy my phone up to 3 times a year for under 2 bucks a week. I have never used it but it's good to know I have it. Covers all,theft,lost,,everything.
    I have the VZ insurance. If they will still let you, get it NOW. You can always cancel it later, but they only let you buy it when you activate, so it may already be too late...

If it's too late, you can check with squaredeal.com to see if you can buy an extended warranty from them...
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    YES!! Get it…and be sure to buy the "Total Equipment Coverage." It's $7.99/month, but so worth it. I used to have the perception that phone insurance companies were slimy but after I broke my first phone (since 2006 I've been on smartphones), it was the easiest experience. An $89 deductible is much less than a $500 off-contract replacement, and the extended warranty is quite a necessity, as we know how build quality is on the Palm Pre+.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I think I'll get it. I should have gotten it yesterday, but the guy in the Verizon store said I have 30 days from the time I bought my phone. I'm not sure if it was "Total Equipment Coverage" but I do remember it was $7.99, so it was probably that. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks Everybody,
    JD
    Just like insurance on anything else in life (home, auto, boat etc) it's not useful until you actually need it and then when you do it's a life saver. You may very well go the whole year and never actually use the insurance and feel like you might have wasted the money..but if you didn't have the insurance you can bet that something would have happened..it always does..
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    VZW had two insurance options. The lower priced insurance is just insurance. The higher priced ($7.99) is insurance plus an extended warranty. I believe it extends your warranty by one year.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRLyman View Post
    VZW had two insurance options. The lower priced insurance is just insurance. The higher priced ($7.99) is insurance plus an extended warranty. I believe it extends your warranty by one year.
    I think it extends the warranty for as long as you pay them $7.99/month. I had my Centro a lot longer than 2 years when they had to replace it... and for $50 deductible, they sent me another one...
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Just got done talking to a VZW representative yesterday about this; the 7.99 plan extends the manufacturers warrenty for an additional year, the 6.00 plan is accident insurance through Asurion, which I can vouch personally for.
    I had a BB 8330 replaced and the replacement had numerous issues. Asurion promptly replaced it with a bran-new, ordered straight from RIM, 8330.

As far as the extended warrenty, IMHO you're wasting money getting it when the phone is new, you can always add it towards the end of the first year and save the 1.99/month for the year. (Just remember to add it )
    $7.99 x 24 months (on 2-year plan) + $89 deductible = $271

Let's say I don't have the insurance or "Total Replacement Coverage" and I damage my phone beyond repair in the 18th month. Won't Verizon offer a refurbished model for $99?

That has been my experience with my Treo 650 and Centro.
    Hey! No fair doing the math.

Unless you know you're going to use it, insurance is a peace-of-mind thing. It's almost always a sucker's bet if you actually run the numbers. I decided the peace of mind was worth it for my new Pre.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    Let's say I don't have the insurance or "Total Replacement Coverage" and I damage my phone beyond repair in the 18th month. Won't Verizon offer a refurbished model for $99?
    If your phone has a problem that is not attributed to physical damage ie. water, dropped etc. and you don't have warrenty coverage, they will replace the phone for a $50.00 charge.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrePlus79 View Post
    Just got done talking to a VZW representative yesterday about this; the 7.99 plan extends the manufacturers warrenty for an additional year, the 6.00 plan is accident insurance through Asurion, which I can vouch personally for.
    I had a BB 8330 replaced and the replacement had numerous issues. Asurion promptly replaced it with a bran-new, ordered straight from RIM, 8330.

As far as the extended warrenty, IMHO you're wasting money getting it when the phone is new, you can always add it towards the end of the first year and save the 1.99/month for the year. (Just remember to add it )
    I was recently told by Verizon that you can only purchase the extended warranty until 30 days after activation.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i got the insurance and glad i did. i fumbled my pre+ and cracked it. i filled out the insurance claim online and 27 hours later had a new pre+ in my hands for $85.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Got the insurance today. I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Was afraid I would drop it and crack it before I could get the insurance thing done. I guess it's worth it.

James D.
    I think it takes some time for insurannce to kick in,,am I wrong? I know I had to wait a few months after I got it before I would be able to file claim.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I think it takes some time for insurannce to kick in,,am I wrong? I know I had to wait a few months after I got it before I would be able to file claim.
    Is this true? If so I drop my phone next week, and the screen cracks I'm not covered? How long do you have to wait?

JD
    I've already used it; filed a claim at 8p on Tue, had the phone by 10a Wed.

My rule of thumb is if it's portable, put insurance on it. Otherwise the warranty should be adequate.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.