1.    #1  
    Last month I decided to use VZ Navigator to drive to the graduation at UW Madison. I had a map of the city and knew how I usually entered town, but my wife was usually with me to give me directions. This time we had to drive separately. Had I followed the map I would have become entangled in Madison's streets and traffic on a very busy day. VZ Nav led me directly to the Stadium with no difficulty. The problem, it was not very easy to hear, much less see, from my the Center Console, and looking down into my lap really forced me to take my eyes off the road. What to do?

There was Velcro on my steering wheel where my Centro used to sit. I wouldn't think of putting Velcro on the cool Touchstone back of my Pre, but I bought an after-market battery and cover for $22 and could risk that. The new cover is thicker and gives more stability to the Pre.

I placed it on the dash. From this position VZ Nav was easy to see and to hear. It is also a great place for almost hands-free calling.

See my subsequent post for photos.
    Last edited by modemjunkie; 06/07/2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Really butterfingers today, even on a full size keyboard..
    I just use my 4.3" Garmin. Cheaper than the VZ navigator and easier to see... I have been trying the VZ Navigator with the 30-day trial... To me it's a steaming pile that lacks so many basic features of a dedicated GPS... And using the phone for calls while trying to use it as a GPS... even worse...

I have a Proclip already installed so adding my phone to it would be easy, but I just can't justify spending $240 over the lifetime of my contract for 25% of the functionality of a GPS + life time traffic service that was way less than $200...

Just my two cents...
  3.    #3  
    Here are the photos to go with my previous post. They should be self explanatory.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by modemjunkie; 06/07/2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Typo.
  4.    #4  
    Forgive me for failing to rotate them but I actually have to go outside and enjoy a glorious day. Is there a forum for Pre-Addiction?
    Quote Originally Posted by modemjunkie View Post
    Forgive me for failing to rotate them but I actually have to go outside and enjoy a glorious day. Is there a forum for Pre-Addiction?
    Yes, it's m.precentral.com and it works great from your webOS phone...
    I have my touchstone sitting on the steering arm that extends out holding the steering wheel. I hear my Pre fine and can see the screen well enough to know if I'm on the right path. I'm guessing you don't honk your horn very much as you don't expect to accidentally hit your Pre on an aggressive honk.
    Good info here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ures-here.html

And for those wanting to spend money, additional info here:

ProClip Mounting System - Device Holders
    Quote Originally Posted by modemjunkie View Post
    Good, I was hoping you weren't driving with them rotated like that, that would be difficult!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Just thought I would ask if you have thought about what would happen to the phone if your airbag is deployed from the steering wheel center during even a minor accident? It would probably become a small missile
    I have Bluetooth in my car, and almost all audio comes through the car's speakers. So when I use Google Maps or Sprint Nav, I can hear the voices quite well. Have you considered Bluetooth?
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Hope nothing triggers your airbag while you have that there.

I've got a similar Mazda. The Bracketron mount with the vent clips works well with that dash. PM me if you want pics or more info.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet_funk View Post
    Hope nothing triggers your airbag while you have that there.

I've got a similar Mazda. The Bracketron mount with the vent clips works well with that dash. PM me if you want pics or more info.
    That's a great point! You would really get hurt. Also, if you ever hooked it to a charger, the cord would get all tangled when you go around corners...

But the airbag thing... trust me when I tell you they cause a lot of damage on their own without adding a solid object in front of all that force. Depending on where the cover splits for the airbag (which is never perfectly on the "line" that they etch on the surface) it could launch that thing into pieces - into your chest, your throat, etc...