1.    #1  
    I just purchased my Palm Pre Plus on Verizon and instantly spotted the GPS problem. In my line of work I drive around town alot and Google Maps is my "Killer App" -at least it was on my Treo.

*If you GO OUTSIDE and get a clear view of the sky the GPS corrects itself (well mine did). I futz with my Pre for days trying to figure out the 1 mile discrepancy -it was the last GPS "fix" I received before going indoors.

I remembered that laptop and automotive GPS devices needed a view of the sky to read GPS data. Maybe Verizon's aGPS solves that problem and is why VZ Navigator works fine.
    Probably not...
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...roved-gps.html

Also useful is an app called GPS Wrangler... but that is $1.99 in the App Catalog. I bought it as part of "Buy an App Day" on Sunday, and it seemed to be pretty effective. YMMV.
    I believe you mean GPS Wrestler. If so, how well does it work? Does it keep the GPS active for long periods of time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Probably not...
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...roved-gps.html

Also useful is an app called GPS Wrangler... but that is $1.99 in the App Catalog. I bought it as part of "Buy an App Day" on Sunday, and it seemed to be pretty effective. YMMV.
    The only thing that *really* helped mine was the QPST procedure - but that certainly isn't for everybody. <sigh>
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I believe you mean GPS Wrestler. If so, how well does it work? Does it keep the GPS active for long periods of time?
    yes, that's it. Once the gps radio is working, it seems to stay open for google maps just fine...
    Might have to try that. Every once and a while Google Maps seems to lose GPS for me. I can use other apps all day until Google Maps gets a hold of the thing, then it eventually stops working, but not all the time. It's really inconsistent.

Got a trip to with the family to WV at the end of the month and wanted my GPS to function on a need basis (not for constant use).
    two words:

garmin nuvi

google maps is fine for basic stuff, but not for navigating in a car IMHO.
    Know the route. Just need to resolve the occasional "where the *beep* am I?". Last time we went up that way we needed to find someplace to eat. This is before I had a smartphone. The Pre should be able to serve me much better, as long as the GPS can locate me.
    the phone will always get you within 1500 meters. That will at least get you to the right exit off the highway... or the right "holler"...
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    The only thing that *really* helped mine was the QPST procedure - but that certainly isn't for everybody. <sigh>
    Why not? Just follow instructions...
    the phone will always get you within 1500 meters. That will at least get you to the right exit off the highway... or the right "holler"...
    Depends on the phone. You can say whatever you want about EVO, but GPS on it is working very well.., it finds me in 20 sec - building, no building...
    Okay for finding an exit or even for using Foursquare, but not so hot for using a golf GPS app. I'm NOT happy about this Verizon GPS issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    Depends on the phone. You can say whatever you want about EVO, but GPS on it is working very well.., it finds me in 20 sec - building, no building...
    Since the phone works fine on other carriers, and other phones have had issues on Verizon, including my 8330 Curve, it's clearly a Verizon issue and not Pre/Pre+ issue. If I launch VZNav first, I get a quick fix as well. Inside depends on the building and my location in it.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    To fix this based on this thread...

I went to Preware and install these 2 patches:

1.) Enable Verizon aGPS Server for Improved GPS
    2.) Auto Enable and Disable GPS for Maps

Start Google Maps and waited about 20 to 30 seconds to find my location.

For good measure I also installed:

1.) Patch: GPS Icon On Top Bar
    2.) Patch: GPS in Device Menu
    3.) Application: GPS Toogle

If feel bad for the mere mortal that owns this phone and doesn't know how to get Preware installed on it. I expect v2 of the hardware and software to seriously improve things.
    I've had great luck with GPS Wrestler. If find that 'fix 3' works the most often for me so i normally start off with that one. I do with that we had better GPS on Verizon and a Google Map experience equal to what Android has...
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Yes. GPS Wrestler did the trick. It was worth the $1 I paid for it. GPS should really just work out-of-the-box. I hope 1.4.5.1 fixes the GPS issues!