Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Last I heard, they acknowledged their role in the problem and were working on a solution with no ETA. I will be driving from Arizona to Indiana in a few weeks, and it would be very helpful is this was corrected by then. Anyone hear anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    Last I heard, they acknowledged their role in the problem and were working on a solution with no ETA. I will be driving from Arizona to Indiana in a few weeks, and it would be very helpful is this was corrected by then. Anyone hear anything?
    Nope I haven't heard anything but when it comes down too it there is only 1 turn-by-turn based navigation app on the Palm Pre+ and that is Verizon's own, I know it costs but I tried most all other apps and that tend to be the most useful for me when I went on the road.
    I am Pain, I am Real, I'm not a dream! (Ayreon)
    Patch available here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...roved-gps.html

Also, I tried the GPSwrangler app and that seemed to be very effective...
    Yeah I would love VZW to fix this issue too. It's a pain to have to work around it. The patch did nothing for me - bummer. But I have found that opening Trapster and letting it find a lock first has been the most consistent solution for me until VZW decides that they can grace us with a fixed phone.
    I don't think Verizon is ever going to fix anything. They are too busy with their baby droid pones...
    I tend to agree, I would be very surprised if Verizon had a gps fix by the next release.

If you're looking to do GPS, here's a few suggestions that worked for me. If you're outside and have a clear view of the sky, GPS actually will work, but it's flaky. In a clear open sky, I would open up gpsDashboard (there is a free version). After about 30 seconds, it usually picks up the signal, however if it doesn't after a minute or so, you'll need to close the app, reboot the phone and then try it again. This usually does the trick (stopping and starting gps does not always work).

If you're still unable to get a signal (or are indoors), open VZ Navigator and let it sit in the background (open and minimized). Then open google maps or whatever other gps app and it should work by obtaining aGPS info from Verizon's towers.

What is irritating is that GPS does work, but it is not consistent. (Real GPS, not aGPS). aGPS does work, but only with VZ Nav. (The patch doesn't work for everyone and I tried a few kernel tricks myself by enabling the IP and ports for aGPS and it doesn't work, so there's more to it). I think if Palm would fix the GPS issue, we'd have a decent system. aGPS is great for indoors, but if I can get a consistent (real) GPS signal outside, I'd feel better about the phone.
    I recommend that you install the patch from ebags33 (link above) and get GPS Wrangler.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I have been using the Geocaching for WebOS app, and it wakes up the GPS pretty nicely. Of course, i'm usually outside when I use the app, so well.. ok, nevermind.