Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    my power button stopped working and couldn't turn off my pre.. i've never dropped it or anything in that manner.. I decided to pull it out and give it a quick look to see why is not depressing. As I pull it out it dropped and lost it. Can't find it now.

Will sprint's repair center replace it for me? Thanks
    This recently happened to my pre. The Sprint store told me that they've not had much success with repairing these. They ordered me a replacement phone through my insurance.
  3.    #3  
    oh geez... did u have to pay for the replacement?
    When my power button came off they just took one off of a return and put it on my phone. My usb door came off and they said they cant replace it or repair it as they don't have the parts. They said if I want it replaced I'd have to go through insurance and put down 100.00. I don't want to do that as my phone has other wise been trouble free since I purchased it and I don't want a refurb.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    The refurbs have come a long way, my refurb looks brand new, not a single speck of dust on it, not a single scratch on it. and it has a better slider than my original pre.

only reason i got a new one was because i cracked the screen on my old one on accident.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Just happened to me this weekend. My button got stuck and wouldn't work. Took it to the sprint store in Brookline, ma and they fixed it. I think they replaced it as they had another pre taken apart close by, so I think they took the part from that pre.
    I took my Pre in for that, they fixed it like in 10 minutes.
    They fixed my power button no questions asked, n i don't have insurance on my phone
    Ditto. My power button got stuck a month or so ago and I took it in and they had it back to me in like 5 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post
    oh geez... did u have to pay for the replacement?
    I didn't have to pay the deductible. They considered it a manufacturing defect.

I certainly would have prefered that they attempted to repair my old phone. This replacement, while it looks brand new, has terrible battery life issues. The battery only lasts about 6 hours; it lasted all day on my old phone. Also, the new phone's UI is less responsive than my old phone. Really hoping we get a new WebOS phone on Sprint soon.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I didn't have to pay the deductible. They considered it a manufacturing defect.

I certainly would have prefered that they attempted to repair my old phone. This replacement, while it looks brand new, has terrible battery life issues. The battery only lasts about 6 hours; it lasted all day on my old phone. Also, the new phone's UI is less responsive than my old phone. Really hoping we get a new WebOS phone on Sprint soon.
    cool, i should say that " manufacturing defect. my phone looks new and has no scratches or anything like that.. i'll be like i went to turn in on and the button popped out and got lost.. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    When my power button came off they just took one off of a return and put it on my phone. My usb door came off and they said they cant replace it or repair it as they don't have the parts. They said if I want it replaced I'd have to go through insurance and put down 100.00. I don't want to do that as my phone has other wise been trouble free since I purchased it and I don't want a refurb.
    Contact Palm, they mailed me a usb cover for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by jovanny27 View Post
    my power button stopped working and couldn't turn off my pre.

Will sprint's repair center replace it for me?
    Same thing happened to me recently. I took it in the first time, they had the phone for about half an hour. After the "repair" the button worked but felt "squishy" but I decided to live with it.

Within a week it stopped working completely, I took it back to the same store and within 10 minutes it was fixed just like a launch day pre, it had the same "clicking" feel to it.

That was last week. Today I noticed that the button still clicks like normal but a few times it didn't wake up my phone or turn the screen off. I had to press it a few times.

I have a feeling it's not going to hold up long term.

Neither time Sprint charged me but I guess it was still in warranty (which just ended yesterday) so if it happens again I'll just have to see what they do.
    yah mine just broke today...one day after the warranty...DOH!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    yah mine just broke today...one day after the warranty...DOH!!!
    I would take it in and see what they can do. Since it's a known issue, maybe they will fix it without charging you anything.

If it's beyond repair, I doubt they would order you a new phone since it is out of warranty, but you never know. In that case you should call Palm, some manufacturers have been known to extend warranties for a known, frequent problem but don't always advertise that fact.
    I just noticed today that my power button is feeling a little weird have to push really hard to turnthe screen on and off I don't have the insurance didn't bother to get it this is actually the only problem I have had with this phone

I guess I will try to live with it until it completly stops working
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    Not sure what store you went too but my friend broke his usb door cover and took it to sprint they replaced it no probs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I would take it in and see what they can do. Since it's a known issue, maybe they will fix it without charging you anything.

If it's beyond repair, I doubt they would order you a new phone since it is out of warranty, but you never know. In that case you should call Palm, some manufacturers have been known to extend warranties for a known, frequent problem but don't always advertise that fact.
    For 7 dollars a month you can get the total equipment protection it covers repairs that can be done and lost or stolen phones or if you run it over lol in most cases you wont have to pay a deductible but if its lost or stolen or completely destroyed then you may need too. I have had this package for about 2 or 3 years now and a time or too i got a cracked screen or something they just exchanged me in to a new phone... SO ya i believe its worth paying 7 a month for it...
    Quote Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
    For 7 dollars a month you can get the total equipment protection it covers repairs that can be done and lost or stolen phones or if you run it over lol in most cases you wont have to pay a deductible
    Yes, I have the insurance but if the phone needs to be replaced (if they can't fix the power button adequately) I thought you had to pay a deductible for a replacement.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    The same thing happened to me and my 11 month old pre. The power button quit working and I carelessly lost it when I tried to fix it. Sprint replaced the missing button but ordered me a refurbished phone under warranty (i didn't have insurance).

When the replacement phone I pointed out a hairline crack in the touchstone back (so they wouldn't make it worse). To my surprise the sprint technician replaced the touchstone back too. The replacement phone button worked much better. However there is more oreo than my last phone and some screen discoloration areas if I look hard enough. Overall I was happy with the replacement.

I was kind of tempted to swap with the power button failure to an EVO. However the repair has made me pause to figure what I would give up: ease of use, superior notifications, touchstone, webos style multi-tasking, and the $10 evo tax. I'll wait a bit longer before jumping ship.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast