1.    #1  
    Today, I was at the pool and went to check on my phone, when I noticed it had a bunch of cracks along the sides and a few barely visible ones on the face. Yes, it's been dropped a time or two and suffered an abrasion and one small crack on the corner, but I've never seen these before and they are VERY obvious and surround almost the whole phone, when they weren't prior to going to the pool. I should also point out that the phone was sitting the whole afternoon in a soft bag with diapers, hats, sunscreen etc. and I was sitting in a grassy area of the pool, so it wasn't dropped while there...

I'll post pics if someone wants to see, but the only thing I can think of is that it got hot and cracked. Has anyone else experienced this? My fear is Sprint will say, I dropped it, which for these just isn't the case!
    Just like a crack on a windshield it might not show up for a while. The worse damage that can be done to a phone either from dropping or from being exposed to water doesn't always occur right away. It happens weeks later, it could be that the heat helped the cracks work their way out of the device.

Now with that being said I'm not trying to state that dropping it DID in fact cause the cracks, but you can't completely rule them out of the equation either.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
    Today, I was at the pool and went to check on my phone, when I noticed it had a bunch of cracks along the sides and a few barely visible ones on the face. Yes, it's been dropped a time or two and suffered an abrasion and one small crack on the corner, but I've never seen these before and they are VERY obvious and surround almost the whole phone, when they weren't prior to going to the pool. I should also point out that the phone was sitting the whole afternoon in a soft bag with diapers, hats, sunscreen etc. and I was sitting in a grassy area of the pool, so it wasn't dropped while there...

I'll post pics if someone wants to see, but the only thing I can think of is that it got hot and cracked. Has anyone else experienced this? My fear is Sprint will say, I dropped it, which for these just isn't the case!
    Dude this exact same thing happened to me except I never dropped my phone just left it sitting in car with windows rolled down and came back and checked my phone and screen had small cracks from top to bottom. This was a couple months ago.
  4.    #4  
    looking @ the phone now, they don't show up as bad inside the house. Hmmm....

I'm curious how it'll look outside again tomorrow. They do look a lot like rock chips on a windshield.
    Truthfully, you won't get away with say that the phone did this on itself. The fact you've dropped it a few times doesn't help. I agree with what Hardbeatz said about the expanding cracks.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Truthfully, you won't get away with say that the phone did this on itself. The fact you've dropped it a few times doesn't help. I agree with what Hardbeatz said about the expanding cracks.
    You say that like I'm trying to pull a fast one on them. I'm not trying to "get away" with anything. Personally, I feel it's crappy the phone is so prone to damage. It really should be made better. Maybe I feel this way because having been a customer for about 13yrs of Sprint, I've been through my fair share of phones, this being the most expensive, yet the most prone to problems, with maybe the exception of the candy bar slider from Sony about 12yrs ago.

In reality, I'm not certain I'm running to sprint in the next few days to complain about this, but if I do, the fact that the speaker/ringer is crapping out will probably be my biggest gripe. I'm just trying to be prepared and I'm curious if others have experienced this and it turns out at least one other person has, which tells me it isn't purely from dropping it. I've dropped other phones and had them for 2-3yrs....this is my 3rd or 4th Pre in about 10months. At this point I'm seriously weighing all the options....
    My apologies if it sounded like I was criticizing your actions. I agree that the Pre could have been built to be more durable. I went from a Nextel brick dumbphone to the Pre and learned very quickly how to treat a smartphone.

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    My apologies if it sounded like I was criticizing your actions. I agree that the Pre could have been built to be more durable. I went from a Nextel brick dumbphone to the Pre and learned very quickly how to treat a smartphone.

Oh I agree they need to be treated a little better, but based upon my experience with this phone, I got tired of paying the ~$5 for the replacement "skin shield", so I didn't send in my last one the last time my pre got replaced. They help a lot!!

I'm actually not too worried about getting this phone replaced. This sounds a bit egotistical I'm sure, but I've gotten pretty good about getting Sprint to replace my phones. Doesn't hurt that I've been a customer as long as they've been in my area. I just like knowing what I'm up against and I also don't want it to happen again once the phone is replaced, if it indeed is something that is fairly common.

I also don't tend to complain about the phone, unless it is really something fairly significant. With this phone, I'm really not happy with the idea the phone will be out of warranty in a month or so. I tend to get about 2months out of them. I feel build quality wise they are a true lemon! Great OS, crappy, crappy build....
    Manufacturer warranty is one year, but the Sprint TEP insurance lasts as long if you pay the monthly fee. I also don't know if they reset the "warranty time date" if you get a replacement for the manufacturer warranty. I have always used the Sprint TEP though and claimed hardware defects.

I've personally had to replace a small handful of Pre's thanks to cracking touchscreens (I was an early adopter, and many of the early pre's touchscreens would spontaneously shatter while charging all by itself on a table).

Never dropped, babied absolutely perfectly, defective product.

My most recent one managed to last, so I feel like Palm has probably fixed the issues that plagued the early phones.

You say you've got cracks all over - are the cracks in the touchscreen or on the facia? You might have a shot at free replacement if it's -just- the internal touchscreen...
    Happened to me as well. I had left it in the sleeping bag pouch in the car, and throughout the day, it was in direct sunlight (wasn't in the morning, but by the afternoon it was). When I looked at the screen while off in the sunlight, I could see spiderweb like cracks on the screen. It wasn't noticeable when the screen was on though. FYI, i had never dropped my pre, so while dropping it doesn't help matters, It doesn't seem to be the only factor.
    Mine has them too. I haven't even dropped my phone. There are just a few cracks that, frankly, look like lines going through the gesture area.
    Admiration is the furthest emotion away from understanding.

Lou Holtz loves slurpies!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    My friend had this happen to his phone as well when it was outside on a hot day for several hours:

Seems like there is some issue with the Pre's case and heat/direct sunlight.
  14.    #14  
    This is exactly what my phone looked like, though not quite as bad. For some reason it looks better inside.
    Yep, pretty much common sense, extreme heat is not good for any electronic device.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Yep, pretty much common sense, extreme heat is not good for any electronic device.
    I wouldn't call mid 80's, though sunny, extreme heat. Like I said mine was even covered up in bag.
    A black surface in direct sunlight can get much hotter than the ambient termp. I was referring to the person that left their phone in a car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
    I wouldn't call mid 80's, though sunny, extreme heat. Like I said mine was even covered up in bag.
    Sunny mid 80's in a closed up car in Oklahoma = a 10-20 degree difference easy. Having it in a bag only keeps it from direct sunlight, it doesn't protect it from the internal temperature of the car.

The other thing to note here is that everyone here is only noticing the cracks in the bright sunlight, you don't have any idea when they actually appeared.

I had a similar thing happen with a carbon fiber motorcycle helmet. The cracks were only visible outside in the bright sunlight.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Sunny mid 80's in a closed up car in Oklahoma = a 10-20 degree difference easy. Having it in a bag only keeps it from direct sunlight, it doesn't protect it from the internal temperature of the car.

The other thing to note here is that everyone here is only noticing the cracks in the bright sunlight, you don't have any idea when they actually appeared.

I had a similar thing happen with a carbon fiber motorcycle helmet. The cracks were only visible outside in the bright sunlight.
    Mine wasn't in a car, that was someone else. Mine was in a bag, sunny day mid 80's laying next to my chair, which was sitting on grass, at the pool. The cracks were not there when I got to the pool, I noticed them about 1-2hrs later when I checked for messages...

Most of the cracks aren't visible unless in direct sunlight, but some are and none of them were there before. Basically, my question was answered it is possible and others have noticed it.

THanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    But here is the problem with that argument -- your Pre (and mine too) is already hot to begin with. When in the car, I have it plugged into the charger and sitting on the seat next to me. This is the ONLY time I ever get temerature warnings. Even sunlight filtered through clouds can cause the Pre to go to extreme temps.

The other day driving home, my Pre got up to 62 degrees (C)!!! I had to unplug it from the charger, open it up and get it into the shade to get it to drop below 45 degrees.

The phone never should have been black!! That just soaks up the sun's rays.

BTW, I know this has to be related to the sun, because it sits at my desk plugged in the USB charger, and at home on my touchstone and it never complains about heat. I suppose it could be heating up from switching cell towers, maybe?