1.    #1  
    So, I reached for my Pre and my belt case had shifted so it fell right out onto the floor of my office and put a horseshoe shaped crack in the very top edge of the Pre on the screen half. What makes it worse is it has that clear plastic look, like when you crack glass, and it has light bleed through. I put some leak/crack sealer on it, which seeps in and helps stabilize it, but it's still visible. Anyone recommend any black plastic epoxies, resins, laminates or anything? It doesn't have to be perfect, I just want to clean it up and make sure it doesn't get worse. It's totally not worth $100 and the randomness of whatever Assurion might send me to replace it with a shiny refurbed one.

I've done similar repairs, so I'm not afraid to do it with this one. I just don't know what to do for this.

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Take it to your carrier repair facility and tell them this broke way too easily and is a defect in the design and aske them to replace it. If you're on Sprint, they're flying through replacements of the original Pre so fast that they just might do it (at least my local Sprint facility is pretty quick to relace your phone). In my opinion, a simple drop from your belt to your office floor is something that a phone with decent build quality should survive... especially if you paid a lot of $ and extended a contract for it. In the future, I use Skinomi and have had no problems with chipping and cracking ever since I placed it on my most recent replacement. Doesn't really answer your question... but worth trying.
    Sure things can withstand a light drop but if it drops on a corner or bumps something on the way down anything can get damaged. I've seen hammers get nicked from being dropped and they are made of solid steel. When you drop something any damage is remotely possible no matter what the build quality is.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I've seen black glue sticks for hot glue guns.
    Clear 5 min epoxy...
    I'm pretty sure the pre is made of ABS plastic. You can find a bonding agent at lowes maybe Home depot. It's also black. A small can is only a few bucks and make it the strongest part of your phone. Don't use a lot and put it on with a toothpick,,, if you use to much (as with any glue) it will make a mess.
    If you choke a smurf what color would it turn?

SCP-8100 by Sanyo> Treo 300 by Palm> Hitachi SH-G1000> VI-2300 by Sanyo> LX150 by LG> MM-7500 by Sanyo> MOTORAZR™ V3m by Motorola> M330 by Samsung> MOTO Q9c by Motorola> Palm® Pre
    If you do fix it, can you please post before and after pics? Along with what you use to fix it. I'd love to know....

FWIY....I also recommend seeing if Sprint will replace it. I'd bet they will!
    Quote Originally Posted by wynkoop2000 View Post
    Take it to your carrier repair facility and tell them this broke way too easily and is a defect in the design and aske them to replace it. If you're on Sprint, they're flying through replacements of the original Pre so fast that they just might do it (at least my local Sprint facility is pretty quick to relace your phone). In my opinion, a simple drop from your belt to your office floor is something that a phone with decent build quality should survive... especially if you paid a lot of $ and extended a contract for it. In the future, I use Skinomi and have had no problems with chipping and cracking ever since I placed it on my most recent replacement. Doesn't really answer your question... but worth trying.
    This is why thing cost so much, people like you! its called insurance FRAUD!

Man up and take responsibility, If my pre breaks due to something I did then I deserve to pay for it.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
    If you do fix it, can you please post before and after pics? Along with what you use to fix it. I'd love to know....

FWIY....I also recommend seeing if Sprint will replace it. I'd bet they will!
    I'll do my best. Not bothering with Sprint. This was a new phone, out of the box, unlike most of the replacements I've received. it seemed to be working well so far, little oreo effect, and I just want to keep it.

Also, at this point, my Sprint stores are offering Palm Pixi's and Samsung Moments (refurbed) as replacements for Palm Pre's.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    There is no way I'd accept one of those for a replacement on my Pre, if they couldn't give me a Pre, I'd demand the Evo, unless you just wanted WebOS.

My logic is the Pixi and the Moment are both lesser priced phones. The Pixi, might be a close rival, but I would want equal not lesser value! The Evo is still priced lower than the Pre, but out of pocket is the same as what I spent on my Pre!

Good luck on the fix!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post

Man up and take responsibility, If my pre breaks due to something I did then I deserve to pay for it.

I wouldn't call that insurance fraud. I agree, I don't think a cell phone should break that easily either and if he admits he drops it, and says that, they can say yes or no. No fraud when being honest. Fraud is when you are deceiving. The other thing with the Sprint insurance is that he can loose the phone, have it stolen, drive over it with his car, pay the deductible and get a new phone....at least that's how they sold it to me!

Just like in a car, you pay for it, doesn't matter if YOU wreck the car, insurance still pays. The only reason I have the insurance on my phone is because I have young kids and a boat....chances are too high that it could wind up overboard and I don't want to be out the $500 for a new phone.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post

You are being a little harsh. He's not suggesting that I lie, only that I bring it in and argue that it broke far too easily given the circumstances, and he would be right. There is such a thing as an expected amount of resilience with a cell phone. I was sitting at my desk, it dropped no more than a foot and a half to a wood floor and cracked. If you consider that cracks around the USB door, screen cracks starting around the central button, and even stress cracks in the screen, underneath the outside plastic shell are considered to be known problems, a short drop to the floor should never have cause the crack that this one did.

That said, I simply don't want to deal with the hassle of getting and loading another phone that might night run as well. This one has been reliable, the oreo affect is minimal and I can glue it.

So far, all I did was use a product called Captain Tolley's leak sealant, which is water soluble and seeps into cracks using capillary attraction. I then used a Sharpie marker on the outside to blend it. I may use the epoxy later, but I just haven't taken the time and it works well enough for now.
  13.    #13  
    Another part of why I don't want Sprint to replace the phone is that this is my 8th Pre. The last time, they gave me a really crappy refurb with a huge oreo effect and bad performance as a replacement. It was also assigned to someone else which created all sorts of problems. I had it for part of a day then brought it back. They offered me a refurbed Pixi or Samsung Moment, and I insisted they open a new Pre and give it to me, which they did.

That said, my next Pre will be Pre number 9 (all 8 so far have been necessary replacements, not little picky things). I'm devoted, but there is a point at which you have to cut your losses. I would probably just go to an Evo for a while, which I really don't want to do. So, glue, it is.