1.    #1  
    I read on a different thread that not leaving the Pre in DEV mode should reduce the random restarts. So I turned off DEV mode to see if I would notice any difference. So far the restarts seem to occur with about the same frequency.

But I have noticed something. They seem to come most frequently when I throw a card away and close the slider in quick succession. I am now making a special point to avoid doing this to see if there is an improvement.

Has anyone else noticed a similar pattern?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Are you sure you don't have the "loose battery" syndrome? Especially when you mentioned closing the slider.

Some batteries don't fit properly and any excessive movement (such as closing the slider) will cause the battery to lose connection to the electrical contacts on the phone, which causes a reboot.
  3.    #3  
    Except that it never seems to happen just when closing the slider by itself - seems to be when I'm throwing away a card at the same time.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

I returned my Pre because I could not stand the light bleed anymore and it would do the luna restart 1-2 times a day. Now with the new device I have not had the issue in over two weeks. Hope this helps.
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Except that it never seems to happen just when closing the slider by itself - seems to be when I'm throwing away a card at the same time.
    I think you may have have something here. At least with the throwing cards away. When I had my Pixi, right after I threw my card away I would try open another one. And If I did it to fast my phone would freeze and restart. This happened to all the 3 Pixis I had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Are you sure you don't have the "loose battery" syndrome? Especially when you mentioned closing the slider.

Some batteries don't fit properly and any excessive movement (such as closing the slider) will cause the battery to lose connection to the electrical contacts on the phone, which causes a reboot.
    loose battery shuts the phone off. That would require him to hit the power button to turn the phone on. He is getting a luna restart or something like it.

I saw a lot of that early on. I got into the habit of restarting after using preware to change anything, and I turned off dev mode. Just like I do with my PC. Force of habit. Haven't had a restart in many weeks, but I hadn't really thougt about it. It could just be that the new preware solved it, becausei know they made lots of improvements that I'm not smart enough to enderstand - just that they were good...

I also don't tweak as much now, because there just isn't much I haven't already tweaked...

I'll have to try your idea and see if I have any restarts...
    I've been using preset reset for 2 months,
    set to reboot at 4am every morning,
    and i've not had one since.
    coincidence, i don't think so!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    I was doing that, but then I forget to update guvna and then I get crabby when it gets slow... Ya can't fix stupid!
  9.    #9  
    Just had it happen again - this time I had just sent an SMS message and then closed the slider right away... I observed the display show a screen of distorted colors for just an instant before going blank, and then would not respond until it restarted. When everything came backup, the text message I had sent right before closing the phone was gone and appeared not to have been sent.

I wonder if my original observation above is incorrect and instead of throwing a card away and quickly closing the slider it's actually sending a text message and quickly closing the slider that is triggering the problem.

Anyhow, I'm going to try to remember to wait a few seconds for the SMS message to finish sending before closing the slider. (If I remember...)
    My device history:

- Jim J.

I haven't had a single random restart since the webOSInternals guys cranked out the new Preware with the install workaround. I keep my dev mode off too which seems to reduce the number of TMC errors I get, not sure if it has any impact on the restarts tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 sisters View Post
    I've been using preset reset for 2 months,
    set to reboot at 4am every morning,
    and i've not had one since.
    coincidence, i don't think so!
    Gonna try that, thanks!
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I came here to find out why my Pre+ restarts at odd times (it's a quick restart, so Luna I assume). I've got DEV mode turned off. It happens like you say, when throwing a card away then closing the slider right after. It's happened about 3-4 times in the last few days and the only thing different I can think of is that I've installed the new facebook beta v1.2.5. I'll try to slow down when throwing cards away and closing the slider!
    There were reports about Facebook beta 1.2.5 causing restarts.

Also, Preware at one time had a problem, but I believe it has been repaired in the latest versions.

My restarts have gone away the past month, ever since the Preware update.