Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I will be one of the first people that will tell you that I love patches and the webos. I love the devs for making the best patches to make life easier for us. We all know Palm is trying too but webos internals and the entire dev community is precentral have actually done more for me than Palm itself, other than the fact that Palm created Webos . Then again, I'm one of the top people who also complain about the Pre's horrible battery life. I don't have an intentions of bashing any devs, but I made this thread just so people should know that the battery problem isn't only cause by apps that run in the background, but also patches too. Patches like the ubercalender, top bar with volume control and the 20 unread messages patch sucks a little more juice out of the battery life. I ran alot of test with and without those patches and my battery life improved dramatically. What other patches do you want to alert us about that might improve battery life?

Remember, patches are installed at your own risk. Anything that happens to your phone after you install a patch is your responsibility, not the devs. I'm actually just trying to know that patches that reduce my battery life, so I can uninstall them on the day I might not use them and then reinstall when I want to (thats the beauty of Preware, thanks to webos internals). I would post links to those patches list above but I'm type from my Pre, so that's kind of tideoud to do. Well, lets here your issue.
    I install patches that I need, like sending audio/video attachments through Messaging, Reduce Min brightness, Add/Delete Launcher pages, Default Month view calender, auto close Phone app on call end. They make my entire webOS experience better. My battery life is reduced maybe, but hopefully 1.4.5 will have increased battery life and features. There were talks of a whole new webOS experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Well,I don't have to worry about that,cause those patches I really don't need. My batt seems to work the same with or without patches. (battery life suck regardless)
    Can you just test them all for us? I have about 60 of them. I couldn't possibly narrow it down to any one source... I'm guessing that they would only use power if they somehow had an active background process or used a radio for something...

Look forward to those test results and thanks for doing that! :-)
    Would you post some data from your testing? Such as average battery drain with and without said patches. Could you also list all patches that you tested with and the differences in batt drain when said patch is installed? I know you are at your pre right now but can you do this when you get back to your computer.
    Also what was your testing method?
    I am curious because when I run stock I saw on average no battery increase, but if you post data that points to the opposite I will run a more accurate test for myself. Thanks
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Can you just test them all for us? I have about 60 of them. I couldn't possibly narrow it down to any one source... I'm guessing that they would only use power if they somehow had an active background process or used a radio for something...

Look forward to those test results and thanks for doing that! :-)
    you're kidden right ?
    All 60 of them?
    I understand how some patches, only one I can think of that I use is the device temp warning. I don't really see how patches are the main reason for battery drain. Maybe a new descriptor could rank these patches on how they could effect battery life.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    It still amazes me how people still complain about battery life and trying to pin it on apps or patches. This is a smart phone that does many things. email, internet, gaming, phone calls etc...

There is NOTHING you can do to increase battery life except for charging it. I have 3 chargers, 1 at work, home and in the car. If you want better battery life, underclock or buy an extended battery.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    It still amazes me how people still complain about battery life and trying to pin it on apps or patches. This is a smart phone that does many things. email, internet, gaming, phone calls etc...

There is NOTHING you can do to increase battery life except for charging it. I have 3 chargers, 1 at work, home and in the car. If you want better battery life, underclock or buy an extended battery.
    I didn't state that I had all my emails set to manual, apps set to manuel, locaton services off,gps off and pretty much every was off. I turn off data when I'm not using it, but my Pre still burned through the battery quickly. Please, don't tell me that's what all smartphones do because that will be very incorrect.
    I am running 39 patches with the Govnah/Uber-Kernel and my battery life is fine. The new Evo's battery life is on par with the Pre's, shorter battery life is just the price you pay having a smartphone. If you can't hang with the battery life then maybe you should revert back to a full feature phone.
    another thread here told me that top bar patches are a big drain. Esp. The batt.%. I really like having the date up there, so I eventually put that back, but doing w/o the batt.% did seem to make a difference at the time I first tried removing it... I'd like to hear from folks more knowledgeable than me about what patches might be battry drains.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I am running 39 patches with the Govnah/Uber-Kernel and my battery life is fine. The new Evo's battery life is on par with the Pre's, shorter battery life is just the price you pay having a smartphone. If you can't hang with the battery life then maybe you should revert back to a full feature phone.
    Hopefully, you are not trying to tell me that lol.
    patches are worth it.

invest in a spare battery
    Quote Originally Posted by joedisaster View Post
    another thread here told me that top bar patches are a big drain. Esp. The batt.%. I really like having the date up there, so I eventually put that back, but doing w/o the batt.% did seem to make a difference at the time I first tried removing it... I'd like to hear from folks more knowledgeable than me about what patches might be battry drains.
    the battery percent really drains battery? What about brightness and flashlight.
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

LOVE IT
    An extra hour of battery without patches versus patches but with an hour less of battery life...well, I know where I'm setting up camp.

I don't know if they really reduce battery life...I know for some of my usage (streaming), Govnah will kill the phone running at 720mhz screenstate, so I switch to a 250/500mhz screenstate. The biggest problem I had with some of the top bar patches was that it ate up memory, not battery life, and made the UI laggy. Battery percent patches were a big offender. Lag and the menu taking a few seconds to drop down. It's gotten a ton better though, but I could probably remove Device Menu MegaMix...but then I would go back to usuability and ease of access frustrations. You're going to hate this, but I'm just going to have to channel my inner Jack and say, Live with a Spare Battery or Die Phoneless. And LOST.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    An extra hour of battery without patches versus patches but with an hour less of battery life...well, I know where I'm setting up camp.

I don't know if they really reduce battery life...I know for some of my usage (streaming), Govnah will kill the phone running at 720mhz screenstate, so I switch to a 250/500mhz screenstate. The biggest problem I had with some of the top bar patches was that it ate up memory, not battery life, and made the UI laggy. Battery percent patches were a big offender. Lag and the menu taking a few seconds to drop down. It's gotten a ton better though, but I could probably remove Device Menu MegaMix...but then I would go back to usuability and ease of access frustrations. You're going to hate this, but I'm just going to have to channel my inner Jack and say, Live with a Spare Battery or Die Phoneless. And LOST.
    That's the truth of the matter. And people telling me that's what I should expect. No...Palm needs to build a standard and lets not start with the comparisons because not all smartphones have terrible battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    That's the truth of the matter. And people telling me that's what I should expect. No...Palm needs to build a standard and lets not start with the comparisons because not all smartphones have terrible battery life.
    Which smartphones have good battery?
    they should allow you to fully customize the status bar up to 6 items... And optimize it.

LOVE IT
    The truth? Where are the comparison tests? You are stating that patches are responsible for draining down the batteries, where are objective tests and results. My friend has to recharge his iphone before the end of the day if he uses it a lot surfing the web and watching videos. But what the heck, I guess we should take your word for it because it is the truth.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Which smartphones have good battery?
    Just think about the obvious. And the BB bold has a better battery life too. You should know what the obvious is. Palm said the Pre was 'obvious' killer about a year and a couple of months ago.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast