Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I see a lot of adjectives like "horrid" used in this thread, and I wonder what that really means. Battery life is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen steady improvements with updates to webOS--it's much better than it was a year ago!
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I see a lot of adjectives like "horrid" used in this thread, and I wonder what that really means. Battery life is in the eye of the beholder. I have seen steady improvements with updates to webOS--it's much better than it was a year ago!
    honestly, nothing changed for me. I guess I have to be 'stocked down' to see these improvements to battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    Although, I have been hearing and reading that the EVO, which is a smart phone with a huge screen, that has widgets on there home screen active. Has better battery life than the pre

Maybe its not just that its a smartphone then?
    Here is some info on battery life that might change your view:

Tips and tricks to extending the HTC EVO 4G and Incredible’s battery life (and what this says about Android)
    Can this thread end now...sheesh! Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The fact of the matter is that there are several things that impact battery life and some patches will fall into that bucket

1. Process data on an ongoing process in the background
    2. Call for and transmit data on timed intervals
    3. Actively run in the background

So while the title of the thread is somewhat accurate as in some patches can cause a decrease in battery life, it is wrong to assume all patches will decrease battery life.

Use at your own risk if the reward is better than the loss then you are fine. Ask yourself what the application does and if it needs to run often, you should be able to make your own accurate firm decision on if a particular application is going to consume more battery life than what you are currently consuming.
    exactly what i was trying to say the first time, u just said it better lol.

and..although most of the arguments here are correct that the title is SOMEWHAT misleading, people should be able to realize that the op didn't really mean ALL of them from reading the post or the following post.

on a related note, i think someone who knows more about the patches themselves should start a thread listing some patches that run in the background and everything else on hardbeatz list that COULD possibly drain the battery (even if it's very little), just for the public's info in case they happen to be someone that wants to avoid battery drain (again....even if it's very little lol)
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I dont understand....How in the world did Apple figure it out and no one else can. The iPhone's battery life is beyond awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I dont understand....How in the world did Apple figure it out and no one else can. The iPhone's battery life is beyond awesome.
    You just opened a whole new argument... unless your kidding.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    from all my friends that have iphones, they all have shi*tty battery lives
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

This is sarcasm right?
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    You just opened a whole new argument... unless your kidding.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    from all my friends that have iphones, they all have shi*tty battery lives
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    This is sarcasm right?
    AHHHHHHHHH..I joke..I joke. My Friend has an iPhone. Thats what he says when im complaining about how horrid my battery life is. He's like "call Steve Jobs, he figured it out, maybe he can give Ruby some tips". But, then again, his phone stays longer than mine with gps always on and his wifi just keep running for days, with or without connection.
    No matter what you're told. Patches do indeed reduce battery life.
    "Patches do indeed reduce battery life."

OK, that is a pretty basic statement. No exceptions.

Jason, so how does a patch that changes an icon image once and does nothing else reduce battery life?

- Craig
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    "Patches do indeed reduce battery life."

OK, that is a pretty basic statement. No exceptions.

Jason, so how does a patch that changes an icon image once and does nothing else reduce battery life?

- Craig
    Oh Gosh, im sorry Craig. The title was a little misleading. I wasnt talking about every solitary patch. I was talking about patches that actually reduce battery life, also, i wasl trying to solicit other opinions on the issue. I clearly stated that i wasnt going to uninstall any of those patches that i stated because i love them so much. All i'll do is uninstall them when i know im not going to use them and then install when im going to. Thanks to Preware.
    ...The title was a little misleading...
    There are dozens of patches that just could not possibly impact battery life. Dozens add a menu option in the code or change an icon, etc. How can a patch that makes a one-time change to a scrim reduce batery life as you claim? Instead of:

Would it be more truthful to say that:

Some patches may reduce battery life. Who wants to do some testing?

If your goal is to do some testing and get the community involved, there might be some cleaner patches that could come out of this.

As stated, this is a flamebait thread.

Let me know if you would like to correct the thread title.

- Craig
  14.    #74  
    There are dozens of patches that just could not possibly impact battery life. Dozens add a menu option in the code or change an icon, etc. How can a patch that makes a one-time change to a scrim reduce batery life as you claim? Instead of:

Would it be more truthful to say that:

Some patches may reduce battery life. Who wants to do some testing?

If your goal is to do some testing and get the community involved, there might be some cleaner patches that could come out of this.

As stated, this is a flamebait thread.

Let me know if you would like to correct the thread title.

- Craig
    Yes, i'll like yo change the title to "Some patches may reduce battery life. Who wants to do some testing?"...But i still maintain that the patches i listed at first def had a negative impact on my battery life.
    milominderbinder, we pretty much had this entire discussion in the past 3 pages.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Yes, i'll like yo change the title to "Some patches may reduce battery life. Who wants to do some testing?"...But i still maintain that the patches i listed at first def had a negative impact on my battery life.
    Done. Thank you.

I agree that there are some patches that probably do reduce battery life. I would like to hear what we find out.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    milominderbinder, we pretty much had this entire discussion in the past 3 pages.
    If ever an OP wants to change a thread title, just click Report and tell us the new title.

A quick title change can turn a flamebait thread into a productive thread.

Just let us know.

- Craig
  18.    #78  
    If ever an OP wants to change a thread title, just click Report and tell us the new title.

A quick title change can turn a flamebait thread into a productive thread.

Just let us know.

- Craig
    Ahh...Thanks. I need to be more constructive with my titles. I def didnt think it would sound the way people took it.
    Ok so now we are testing. I will test the effect of the following three patches - add date dd-MMM-yy, brightness in device menu, temperature with battery in device menu.
    I plan to do a 4 hour idle test without any of the said patches against 4 hour idle with each patch. I will also do a 6 hour test with me using the phone and checking the device menu. I will report what battery drains I get. If you think I should test differently, let me know.

Anyone else going to test?
    I've put on about 30 patches. From "add/delete launcher pages" to "youtube download"... So I've added and deleted a few pathces.

From what I've seen, any of the "Batt. %" top bar patches drain the battery. I'll try one on my Pre+ for a day or two and I can see the battery going down quicker. No like I'm watching, just doing the normal usage stuff.

Now when I'm not using the batt top bar patches. I can see the phone "update" the % with a lag or not untill i request to see it. Ergo. If i look at the top bar and see the batt. sign as green. But I know 20 minutes ago when i looked at it was at the end of the "green batt. sign" (90%) However untill i click on the top bar and the % updates it turns the Batt. sign to grey (under 89%)

So this tells me (only me) that making the phone ALWAYS tell me the correct batt. % (via a top bar patch) uses some (more than the norm) battery power.

Just my 2 cents on a long thread... Good luck!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234