Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    The only possibility of a patch affecting battery life are patches that poll and occupy more CPU cycles. Examples are percent in top bar, device temp warning, gps on top bar. There has been some consideration if it is significant enough but no tests have been done.
    really?..i have gps on topbar and percent.
    does brightness or flashlight drain? And I don't see how the percent would effect it that much? Especially considering that the status menu already has battery.
    iPhone 1gen august 2007- may 2010
    Repaired: headphone jack twice. Buttons and back cover once. Screen has a crack.

Palm Pre Plus may 2010-now

LOVE IT
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    Although, I have been hearing and reading that the EVO, which is a smart phone with a huge screen, that has widgets on there home screen active. Has better battery life than the pre

Maybe its not just that its a smartphone then?
    Hearing and reading? The phone has been out how long? Do the EVO and pre have the same lithium cell batteries? Lets look at the obvious 3G vs 4G which one would suck out a battery faster?
    not sure why everyone is getting all defensive and demanding scientific results and proof (i know, not everyone is "demanding"), it's pretty much common sense (or should be) that SOME patches would drain the battery if they are meant to run in the background. he's not saying it's the only reason of battery drain, he's not complaining about the patches or their developers, he's merely stating the truth for those that are unaware. some people might not want to install a certain patch if they're worried about battery drain, it's good to have this kind of info. there should be a list of patches that run in the background and could drain your battery...even if it's very little, cuz if u have 10 patches (for example) that each drain the battery a little then it kinda adds up.

so yeah...a list would be nice lol
    I love my PRE & the patches make it sooo much better. I don't care if there is a battery drain, I love my patches on my PRE. I have about 75 & won't change a thing....well, maybe I could add more?!?!? Bring on the patches & make my baby better!! Love my PRE, Happy Birthday PRE!! You're awesome!!
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by notalexrz View Post
    not sure why everyone is getting all defensive and demanding scientific results and proof (i know, not everyone is "demanding"), it's pretty much common sense (or should be) that SOME patches would drain the battery if they are meant to run in the background. he's not saying it's the only reason of battery drain, he's not complaining about the patches or their developers, he's merely stating the truth for those that are unaware. some people might not want to install a certain patch if they're worried about battery drain, it's good to have this kind of info. there should be a list of patches that run in the background and could drain your battery...even if it's very little, cuz if u have 10 patches (for example) that each drain the battery a little then it kinda adds up.

Thank you!!!!...Thanks a million!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Thank you!!!!...Thanks a million!

no problem lol

Yes that's all well but creating a thread with such an open and bold title could lead people to the wrong conclusion. The title suggests that all patches cause a significant drain. The original post then goes on to suggest that some 20 somthing patches cause a level of drain without stating which patches and how much drain.

I think it would be useful to include some facts and data so that all users can make up their own mind on the patches vs battery issue.
    I find this thread interesting because the Op has been a big complainer about battery life, and running into scenarios I haven't seen. Now I do have the battery % patch (along with the bat temp patch), and still continue to see decent battery life, and really good battery life when the phone is sitting there not being used much. But if one or more patches, or some combination thereof, are causing his issue, then it would be a good thing if this fixes the issue for him. Would like to here what the difference is in quantitative fashion.

As far as the Pre in comparison, there are a number of things that have to be kept in mind. The Evo has a 1500mAh battery, but it still sucks down the power: here

My Curve 8330 had great battery life...until I used it. Browsing on my BB would drain the battery quite quickly. Wife's 8530 (equivalent in CPU speed to the Pre) gets about a day or so less battery life than the 8330 did, and would probably drain just as quick as the Pre if I got a hold of it and started browsing on it. She only uses her phone for email, texting/messaging, and, GASP!, making phone calls. In the article I linked, it noted that, just sitting there, the Evo's getting 12 hours before dying, 14.5 hours after being tweaked. My Pre+ has gone 12 hours and still had 44% battery (I put the experience in a thread on one of my first posts).

I won't go into the "horrid" hardware, because, at least with the Plus versions, it's not horrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    The title suggests that all patches cause a significant drain.

I think it would be useful to include some facts and data so that all users can make up their own mind on the patches vs battery issue.

sure some test with results and so forth would be nice....maybe someone could develop an app for that , until someone finds a way to test them, just knowing that they do lead to "some small drainage" will have to do.
    Ok, my intention was not to bag on anyone, but do read the title of this thread, it does come off in a negative light on Preware and patching. The simple facts that I have come up from running battery monitor tests is the majority of patches do not affect battery life and I have to say of the 39 patches I have on my Pre (including 3 top bar patches including the battery %), the only patch that I have running that does effect battery life is the Uber-Kernel patch which is controlled by the Govnah app. I recently ran a battery monitor test (yeah I know some of you guys are against running tests and would rather guess) and I am really pleased with my battery drain while running said above patches. Here is a screen shot of my battery monitor test (Govnah set at conservative, 500 min and 720 max, GPS on, wifi on, email set to check every 15 min.) Also noted is that the battery I am using is a Mugen 1400. The test was run with my Pre at idle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    you're kidden right ?
    All 60 of them?
    Well,. you didn't exactly provide a ton of supporting data...

So I would have to go back to stock and and methodically test each one individually... and with my attention span, I might be able to get through a couple of hours, and then I'd go crazy(er).

I had two opportunities to use my pre completely stock for a couple of days. I didn't do any scientific testing... but I also didn't see any noticeable change in battery life. Can you provide any data?
    Hopefully Palm is really doing something about this because they have the best phone in the business. It's just the little things that they didn't do. No matter how you cut it, the Pre's battery life is terrible, the hardware is horrid. But Webos is a winner. Honestly, I would have dumped the Pre if it wasn't for Webos.
    Palm consistently rolls some battery improvements into just about every update.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Hopefully Palm is really doing something about this because they have the best phone in the business. It's just the little things that they didn't do. No matter how you cut it, the Pre's battery life is terrible, the hardware is horrid. But Webos is a winner. Honestly, I would have dumped the Pre if it wasn't for Webos.
    you know, the battery life for the pre is horrific, but every smartphones battery life is effed up. i even read a review about the evo and it said the battery life is effed up too, so no matter how much u go crazy about it they're all gonna be terrible. hopefully in the future they come up with newer type of batterys that last for a week lol
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Sorry Jason but, I fall into the camp of"show us your evidence". The title of this thread throws ALL patches into the same kettle. Yes, SOME, do and SOME don't, but it has **NOTHING** to do with the fact that they are patches!!!!

If you really want to be completely honest the thread title should be "No matter what you're told, loading software onto your phone can reduce battery life."

I know it's all semantics, but you are stereotyping patches. Just the general statement that patches reduce battery life is wrong, just like saying patches do not increase power usage is wrong too.

I don't know up about defensive, but I also don't see the "common sense" part. There are soooo many things you can do that are one-time things that wouldn't have a continuous impact on battery.Sort of like installing office97. The apps aren't using any resources when they aren't loaded - unless I let it install background processes like quick doc opener, etc...

Many of the patches are just setting a bit in an existing process (like color) and there is no ongoing process.

So in order for a provocative title like that to be meaningful, some level of info is courteous, if not required (IMHO).

If the thread title was "do patches drain the battery faster???" it would be a different story. THis thread title makes it sound like some sort of "conspiracy" among the dev community to mislead people. I wish he'd contact a mod and have it changes, personally.

The reality is without specifics, it DOESN'T provide info to the "unaware" but rather it creates concern in the "unaware" that don't dig into lots of threads, or aren't technical enough to understand the "common sense" part.

To me, the more direct and absolute the statement, the more incumbent it is to back it up...

...just sayin'
    The fact of the matter is that there are several things that impact battery life and some patches will fall into that bucket

1. Process data on an ongoing process in the background
    2. Call for and transmit data on timed intervals
    3. Actively run in the background

So while the title of the thread is somewhat accurate as in some patches can cause a decrease in battery life, it is wrong to assume all patches will decrease battery life.

Use at your own risk if the reward is better than the loss then you are fine. Ask yourself what the application does and if it needs to run often, you should be able to make your own accurate firm decision on if a particular application is going to consume more battery life than what you are currently consuming.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Just think about the obvious. And the BB bold has a better battery life too. You should know what the obvious is. Palm said the Pre was 'obvious' killer about a year and a couple of months ago.
    I would argue that the BB Bold isn't all that "smart"...
    Having used BB for 2+ years, they do have better battery because you CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH THEM.

When I had the Storm, which due to screensize lent itself to more multimedia, it had as good if not somewhat worse battery than the Pre.

Comparing a Pre with an OS and browser that actually allows you to use the phone for stuff other than messaging (RIM should be ashamed of themselves but they have so many sheep in the rabid fanbase they are only now promising a webkit browser than may be seen sometime this year. Maybe.) to a BB is not a fair fight. Compare a Berry to a regular texting dumbphone. Then we'll talk battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    Although, I have been hearing and reading that the EVO, which is a smart phone with a huge screen, that has widgets on there home screen active. Has better battery life than the pre

Maybe its not just that its a smartphone then?
    Do not believe what you read. Right now battery on my EVO is on par with Pre. May be later when it conditioned itself we will see..
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast