Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 80
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    The truth? Where are the comparison tests? You are stating that patches are responsible for draining down the batteries, where are objective tests and results. My friend has to recharge his iphone before the end of the day if he uses it a lot surfing the web and watching videos. But what the heck, I guess we should take your word for it because it is the truth.

    No..it contributes. I didn't say it's the sole blame of all the battery woes. Try reading more...
  2. #22  
    BB has good battery because its users don't do anything intensive on it. The OS is just not that intensive and it shows in the quality of the phone.
    I will sacrifice a bit of battery life for better quality features.
    Any other smart phones have good battery life?
  3. #23  
    I would say only certain patches cause issues. No reason to give all patches a bad name.
  4. #24  
    I don't really understand the purpose of this post. I mean, it should be pretty obvious that any time you add certain apps/software/patches (not all) to your Pre, you are going to increase the batteyr usage. Say you add a program to monitor your stocks. Of course, it will increase battery drain. A chat program will increase battery use. Come on. It's just common sense and we all know that the Pre (and other smartphones too!) use a lot of battery juice. Just get a couple of Touchstones and live with it.
  5. #25  
    Jason Black,

    I've had poor battery performance on the Pre since the day I got it (July of '09). Doing the basic optimizations like disabling push email, IM's, bluetooth, and GPS are the things that gave me optimal battery life. Still, this improvement didn't come close to the battery life I had on my Motorola Q9c.

    I won't disagree with you that patches drain battery life, but I personally haven't seen any change in battery life (positive or negative) from using the patches that *I* have, though, obviously I've noticed a slight decrease in battery life from using the overclocking patches.

    I think I've got all that I can with the battery and it's not going to get any better unless Palm does something dramatic to significantly improve battery life. With my Q9c, I found myself charging my phone once every 2-3 days and that was with talk time, mobile browsing, and playing games.
  6. #26  
    They may decrease battery life, but they increase happiness
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by donnydonny View Post
    yadd-yadda-yadda...

    I think I've got all that I can with the battery and it's not going to get any better unless Palm does something dramatic to significantly improve battery life. With my Q9c, I found myself charging my phone once every 2-3 days and that was with talk time, mobile browsing, and playing games.
    Uh...SERIOUSLY??? The Motorola Qx is not even in the same CLASS as the Pre (\Iphone\N1\etc). That phone is NOT a "multimedia" smartphone and is in the Treo\Berry class which is why the battery last a few days like Treos and BB's do.

    ALL phones in the "high end multimedia class" have equivalent battery life and that includes but is not limited to iPhone, G1, Pre, Droid, N1, HD2, EVO, etc. The tech review sites (all of them) state the same. Smartphones use more juice unless you turn everything off and don't use it but then what is the point?

    I get 10-12 hours consistently with 6 syncing email accounts, net browsings, some music and FB, and no "polling" type patches (i.e. patches that have to update something) Most of the patches I was using are rolled into 1.4.1 so I only have about 7 currently.
  8.    #28  
    Yes, I understand that the pre is more intense, but that's if you use it intensely. I shut down pretty much everything that can kill the battery. Hence, I was asking if there are other patches out there known to have a little adverse effect on the battery. I'm just trying to see if the battery is indeed as horrible as I think it is.
  9. #29  
    The q9c had a 2200mAh (or something in that ballpark, I can't remember and don't know where my q9c actually is right now) extended battery included. Of course the Pre doesn't come close to it.
  10. #30  
    Patches shouldn't affect battery life unless the patch keeps something else active. The majority of the patches merely flip a 'switch' to direct the phone to show something other than it normally would.

    Most users experience a battery life drop when tweaking the OS merely because they don't let it drain down to completely dead, at which point the OS will 'reset' the life expectancy based on the 'newly tweaked' OS.

    It might take a couple of complete drains.
    I typically run an easy 12 hours with light to moderate usage. Any light gaming will suck that down to about 6-8 hrs.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by donnydonny View Post
    Jason Black,

    I've had poor battery performance on the Pre since the day I got it (July of '09). Doing the basic optimizations like disabling push email, IM's, bluetooth, and GPS are the things that gave me optimal battery life. Still, this improvement didn't come close to the battery life I had on my Motorola Q9c.

    I won't disagree with you that patches drain battery life, but I personally haven't seen any change in battery life (positive or negative) from using the patches that *I* have, though, obviously I've noticed a slight decrease in battery life from using the overclocking patches.

    I think I've got all that I can with the battery and it's not going to get any better unless Palm does something dramatic to significantly improve battery life. With my Q9c, I found myself charging my phone once every 2-3 days and that was with talk time, mobile browsing, and playing games.
    Hopefully Palm is really doing something about this because they have the best phone in the business. It's just the little things that they didn't do. No matter how you cut it, the Pre's battery life is terrible, the hardware is horrid. But Webos is a winner. Honestly, I would have dumped the Pre if it wasn't for Webos.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    Patches shouldn't affect battery life unless the patch keeps something else active. The majority of the patches merely flip a 'switch' to direct the phone to show something other than it normally would.

    Most users experience a battery life drop when tweaking the OS merely because they don't let it drain down to completely dead, at which point the OS will 'reset' the life expectancy based on the 'newly tweaked' OS.

    It might take a couple of complete drains.
    I typically run an easy 12 hours with light to moderate usage. Any light gaming will suck that down to about 6-8 hrs.
    The patches I mentioned actually do keep something running. I absolutely love those patches, hence i'll reinstall them when I'm home and uninstall when I have to hit the road.
  13. #33  
    I just wonder when Smartphones will take advantage of Lithium Polymer batteries ability to be "molded to fit". In other words, the entire back cover can be the battery.

    Yes, it may cost more to develop but if you had a smartphone that lasted for days without needing a recharge, that would be a great selling point.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    (battery life suck regardless)
    Seriously.
  15. #35  
    The only possibility of a patch affecting battery life are patches that poll and occupy more CPU cycles. Examples are percent in top bar, device temp warning, gps on top bar. There has been some consideration if it is significant enough but no tests have been done.
  16. #36  
    Where are your numbers if you have run tests? I'd love to see the results. It sounds to me like you're using purely anecdotal evidence. Your post alone indicates a lack of understanding about the basic nature of a patch in general. Unless the patch is actively taking up clock cycles in the background, then there is no way it can reduce battery life. Ubercalendar certainly will not reduce battery life, it doesn't occupy extra clock cycles. And for the future, don't make a blanket statement title for your post like "patches do indeed reduce battery life" when first off, they don't, and secondly you mention only a couple patches that do. Please do not spread mis-information.
  17. #37  
    If anyone has some good data can they post it here.
    Can they post, what patches are being tested? Method of testing? And average battery with and without patches?
    I will do my own tests over the next few days of the patches I use and post the results.
  18. VKitty's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    It still amazes me how people still complain about battery life and trying to pin it on apps or patches. This is a smart phone that does many things. email, internet, gaming, phone calls etc...

    Although, I have been hearing and reading that the EVO, which is a smart phone with a huge screen, that has widgets on there home screen active. Has better battery life than the pre

    Maybe its not just that its a smartphone then?
  19. #39  
    Well, l could say that running aps also uses battery, and patches are different, some are just changes in existing apps, some are programs.
  20. #40  
    Top bar patches seemed to suck more battery for me so I removed them....

    Then later i installed gps in top bar patch and mode switcher...both of these interact with the top bar but i havent noticed excessive battery drain with them....
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions