1.    #1  
    I been looking for information to my request and am yet to find any concrete answers.

Basically I have a standard PRE which I activated here in Australia and I do not have acccess to Paid Apps. Finally a GSM 850 version which is ideal for me on my Telstra NExtG was released by AT&T recently and it is a QWERTY instead of a QWERTZ which I have.

I would like to upgrade, but the one I have found says LOCKED to AT&T, obviously in the USA you would only use AT&T. But if you import it here to Australia would I be able to use my SIM or would it still only accept AT&T SIMS?

It has been activated initially activated in the USA and paid apps have been confirmed. So since paid apps are visibile there I assume it would work here also?

Look forward to any reply or suggestions
    From what I understand, att is international, but dont take my word for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfingerz View Post
    I been looking for information to my request and am yet to find any concrete answers.

Basically I have a standard PRE which I activated here in Australia and I do not have acccess to Paid Apps. Finally a GSM 850 version which is ideal for me on my Telstra NExtG was released by AT&T recently and it is a QWERTY instead of a QWERTZ which I have.

I would like to upgrade, but the one I have found says LOCKED to AT&T, obviously in the USA you would only use AT&T. But if you import it here to Australia would I be able to use my SIM or would it still only accept AT&T SIMS?

It has been activated initially activated in the USA and paid apps have been confirmed. So since paid apps are visibile there I assume it would work here also?

Look forward to any reply or suggestions
    First, you would have to unlock your AT&T Pre. There are several sites you can go to, to get the codes. Most of the sites ask for money to buy the codes: Nextgen Server Home of Remote Phone Unlock, Treo, Blackberry Unlock Code Server, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, HTC, Huawei, USB Modem, Unlock your cell phone to any network in real time online.. This way you can use your own sim card.

Someone else here should be able to help you with the app question. I don't know much on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by sothrowd08 View Post
    From what I understand, att is international, but dont take my word for it.

They are international, but it would be expensive for him to use it with an AT&T sim card. And he would have to have an account in the states (or a friend who lives here) to use it.
    first of all, att is not international. att is gsm which is international capable. depends where you go, u have to check on the country ur going to c if its gsm or cdma. if ur going international and u use it as at&t, roaming charges are gonna cost u an arm and a leg. best thing to do is unlock it and use it in the country ur going to in the carrier that they have. If i remember reading correctly (dont remember) calling is 2 bucks a minute, dont know how messaging is. data is 250 dollars for 500 mb and thats all i remember
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

6.    #6  
    Thanks a lot guys for all the great information.

I think it will work fine with TELSTRA which is GSM 850 which the PLUS supports, the seller has offered to activate it for me in the USA and will confirm paid app availability. And have seen a few similar ones which are unlocked now by AT&T.

Now tomi666 has bought something else to my attention. How am I going to use my Australian Credit Card to pay for these Apps even if they are visible??? I never thought of that, so I am extremely grateful tomi666 for letting me know because if there is no way for me to get PAID apps, then I would be in the same dilemma that I am with my current standard Palm Pre.

The only real benefit then would be double the storage, faster 3G connection on Telstra NextG GSM 850 (which my QWERTZ O2 doesn't have) and the last advantages are apparently better keyboard and build quality compared to its predecessor.

The biggest reason I wanted to upgrade was to Buy my Paid Apps and if I cannot register a C/C or find a work around, what is the point really?
  7.    #7  
    Thanks a lot guys for all the great information.

I think it will work fine with TELSTRA which is GSM 850 which the PLUS supports, the seller has offered to activate it for me in the USA and will confirm paid app availability. And have seen a few similar ones which are unlocked now by AT&T.

Now tomi666 has bought something else to my attention. How am I going to use my Australian Credit Card to pay for these Apps even if they are visible??? I never thought of that, so I am extremely grateful tomi666 for letting me know because if there is no way for me to get PAID apps, then I would be in the same dilemma that I am with my current standard Palm Pre.

The only real benefit then would be double the storage, faster 3G connection on Telstra NextG GSM 850 (which my QWERTZ O2 doesn't have) and the last advantages are apparently better keyboard and build quality compared to its predecessor.

The biggest reason I wanted to upgrade was to Buy my Paid Apps and if I cannot register a C/C or find a work around, what is the point really?
  8.    #8  
    Hmmm good point. The only thing on that list for me would really be [C] as bigger keys would be nice.

As mentioned the only reason I even considered it was the Paid App Catalog, I might just wait until they release an alternative payment method such as Paypal, as I can see now other way for me to purchase apps in Australia.

If I could get a Prepaid Visa Debit or something like that rather in the USA online then that would be ideal.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    first of all, att is not international. att is gsm which is international capable. depends where you go, u have to check on the country ur going to c if its gsm or cdma. if ur going international and u use it as at&t, roaming charges are gonna cost u an arm and a leg. best thing to do is unlock it and use it in the country ur going to in the carrier that they have. If i remember reading correctly (dont remember) calling is 2 bucks a minute, dont know how messaging is. data is 250 dollars for 500 mb and thats all i remember
    Actually, that is what I ment, but it came out wrong.
  10.    #10  
    So guess there are no solutions to purchase from the App Catalog if you are in one of the unsupported countries.. ie.. in my case Australia.

I mean I could wait till something comes out in Australia from HP PALM, but I don't like HP all that much and am concerned they will just butcher webOS and turn a good thing into ****.. "Just a matter of opinion" Okay... HP might have the resources, marketing, global dominance.. marketing etc.. But can they use it effectively, sure they would do better than Palm at marketing it. Just scared they will ruin webOS

I am afraid that the PRE PLUS might be the last good device to come out from PALM. And the only thing stopping me from getting an Unlocked AT&T is basically even if I can see the PAID apps I would have no real way of purchasing them.

In regards to the Roaming, I got a standard PRE from O2 which apparantely is unlocked and I had the (R) sysmbol for roaming and then update to 1.4.1 and it dissapeared and all 3G is working fine and charges are the same as any other phone I've had.
  11.    #11  
    Nar that is cool tomi666, I am glad you bought it to my attention dude as I did not even think of it. I would of been more upset buying the device and then finding out that I can see the paid apps, but cannot purchase them.

I am very grateful for all the information you have provided me on this forum