Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    Hey all,

    I've got my email set to show email from the past 3 days, however, if you go and sort email by date, you'l see I have email all the way back to May 18th, which is the last time I doctored my phone. Anyone else experiencing this? Am I misunderstanding what "show email" means?
  2. #2  
    Only thing I can think to try is to delete that email account from your phone and re add it.
  3. tcurtin's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #3  
    I'm having this problem as well. Did you have any luck with a resolution?

    I'm a bit worried that removing the account from the phone could also kill other related items (one of my email accounts is an exchange account, for instance.)

    If you did just remove/reinstall the account, any thoughts on your experience?
  4. #4  
    I think you are misunderstanding it. It will retrieve new e-mails that are within that timeframe, but all e-mails that are already downloaded to the phone don't get deleted. In other words, at midnight each day it doesn't go into your downloaded e-mails and automatically delete them off your phone. But, if you don't retrieve your new e-mails for a week (like if you're out of the country and don't use WiFi), your phone will only download the new e-mails from the last three days.

    You have to delete the old downloaded e-mails from your phone yourself if you want them gone. This is a very GOOD feature, as ppl often need to refer to older e-mails (myself included).
  5.    #5  
    I'd rather it be an option. Without it, I have it go around deleting mail myself, which I hardly ever do and I end up with high unread counts and unneeded email on my phone. I guess I'm the only person who regularly uses a laptop? I kid, but seriously, things like that I use gmail on my PC for and I really really really don't need the inbox on my phone cluttered. This is especially annoying because there aren't threaded convos. I actually like mobile web version of gmail better than webOS's app.

    Switching between 3 and 1 day syncing is the ghetto solution for now and I'm not too fond of it.

    Obviously, no, I never found a solution. WebOS also needs better labels support, but that's another thread.

    It would also help if you could check email boxes to delete a bunch of emails, instead of having to swipe delete one by one, kind of like on gmail. Yeah, I guess I'm just not too impressed with the email app. Like pretty much every default app, it could use major work.
    Last edited by malpha; 07/14/2010 at 01:35 AM.
  6. tcurtin's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    I think you are misunderstanding it. It will retrieve new e-mails that are within that timeframe, but all e-mails that are already downloaded to the phone don't get deleted. In other words, at midnight each day it doesn't go into your downloaded e-mails and automatically delete them off your phone. But, if you don't retrieve your new e-mails for a week (like if you're out of the country and don't use WiFi), your phone will only download the new e-mails from the last three days.

    You have to delete the old downloaded e-mails from your phone yourself if you want them gone. This is a very GOOD feature, as ppl often need to refer to older e-mails (myself included).
    I'm not sure how it works for POP accounts, but I'm positive that it works by removing emails outside the "show email" timeframe. It does not *delete* them from the IMAP server, it simply stops holding copies of them on the Pre. When things are working correctly, and you have an account set to show email for 3 days, at any time you should be able to open the folder and only see 3 days worth of mail. If you see more than that, your phone is having the same issue mine was!

    The good news is that it seems fixable. For whatever this is worth, suddenly the "switch to a new Show Email setting" thing worked for me yesterday. I'm not sure what was different about this time trying it other than that my /var directory had been full previously. (Followed the tip here http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2540039 to remove one of the larger files and give me room to move while I cleared stuff out.) Maybe that was it? Can't say for sure. However, I *can* say that I dropped about 20M in usage in /var, almost all of it in the /var/luna/data/emails directory. (!)

    Also, for what its worth, clearing out so many emails has made my entire phone much MUCH faster! Surprisingly so, in fact. If you have a lot of emails, its worth switching this setting just to see that difference...

    Good luck!
    -Tim
  7. tcurtin's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I'd rather it be an option. Without it, I have it go around deleting mail myself, which I hardly ever do and I end up with high unread counts and unneeded email on my phone. I guess I'm the only person who regularly uses a laptop? I kid, but seriously, things like that I use gmail on my PC for and I really really really don't need the inbox on my phone cluttered. This is especially annoying because there aren't threaded convos. I actually like mobile web version of gmail better than webOS's app.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Switching between 3 and 1 day syncing is the ghetto solution for now and I'm not too fond of it.
    I'm hoping I don't have to keep doing it... do I?

    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    ... WebOS also needs better labels support
    Yes! Don't you mean *any* labels support? I would kill to have emails from different accounts given different colors in my inbox. That alone would make life so much better...

    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    It would also help if you could check email boxes to delete a bunch of emails, instead of having to swipe delete one by one, kind of like on gmail.
    For what its worth, you can swipe delete multiples - just don't wait for the first to delete before you start swiping the next. You can fly through pretty quickly this way - probably at least as fast as you could scroll through and manage to get your fingertip to touch checkboxes.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I'd rather it be an option. Without it, I have it go around deleting mail myself, which I hardly ever do and I end up with high unread counts and unneeded email on my phone. I guess I'm the only person who regularly uses a laptop? I kid, but seriously, things like that I use gmail on my PC for and I really really really don't need the inbox on my phone cluttered. This is especially annoying because there aren't threaded convos. I actually like mobile web version of gmail better than webOS's app.
    I don't usually use a laptop for the e-mail acc'ts I have on my Pre, no. That's why I have them on the Pre.

    If I want something deleted, I delete it right away. Occassionally I'll go through the rest of the e-mails and pick and choose which ones I don't need - or, for the acc'ts where I don't need to keep any old e-mails, I just delete them all when I have a moment free.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Royce Lover View Post
    It would also help if you could check email boxes to delete a bunch of emails, instead of having to swipe delete one by one, kind of like on gmail. Yeah, I guess I'm just not too impressed with the email app. Like pretty much every default app, it could use major work.
    Yeah, checking them off would be nice!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    I'm not sure how it works for POP accounts, but I'm positive that it works by removing emails outside the "show email" timeframe. It does not *delete* them from the IMAP server, it simply stops holding copies of them on the Pre. When things are working correctly, and you have an account set to show email for 3 days, at any time you should be able to open the folder and only see 3 days worth of mail. If you see more than that, your phone is having the same issue mine was!
    I don't have any POP acc'ts, just IMAP. But my Pre does show all my messages for as long as I want them to show (I just delete them when I don't need them anymore). My acc'ts I believe are set at three days even though I have them set to check either as they come or between one and twelve hours. I've changed the settings before and it never got rid of any e-mails thankfully.

    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    Also, for what its worth, clearing out so many emails has made my entire phone much MUCH faster! Surprisingly so, in fact. If you have a lot of emails, its worth switching this setting just to see that difference...

    Good luck!
    -Tim
    I've never seen my phone get faster after I've deleted a lot of e-mails. I'm guessing you get a LOT more than I do! But there are e-mails I need to keep around for 6+ months, so I'm glad my Pre never deletes them off the device.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    For what its worth, you can swipe delete multiples - just don't wait for the first to delete before you start swiping the next. You can fly through pretty quickly this way - probably at least as fast as you could scroll through and manage to get your fingertip to touch checkboxes.
    That's what I do, too. It is pretty fast. The other guy might've been talking about a "Select All" button and then either getting rid of them all or picking a few out to keep.

Posting Permissions