Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Hey. I just bought a second Palm Pre and it's nice and all. But the hardware button, instead of turning the traditional yellow, is turning purple. I really like the yellow, and this has to be something that can be fixed (why is it turning purple in the first place?).

Any help (patches, etc) would be greatly appreciated. I have the feeling that the purple was caused by a patch in the first place (used phone). Additionally, it's been doctored to hacktivate it over wi-fi. Just so you know.

Hope I get a fix. I miss my yellow...

EDIT: I googled.
    Wait, what?

The button LED is purple? Can you take a picture?
    Show me the purpleness!!! :]
    are you using a Pre or a Pre+? The Pre+ sort of looks purple in certain light, under my ZAGG cover. Is that what you are talking about?

Also: For recommendations on must-have patches... start here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-homebrew.html
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/04/2010 at 05:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Nope, it's a sprint pre, no accessories. The hardware "Home" button and the two lights beside light up purple...

Pics courtesy of a Blackberry Pearl 8120, found out it captured the colour much better than the Palm Pre so meh.

Get 'em while they're hot:

EDIT: Click on the image. You can see the mutant Palm Pre better.
    EDIT 2: Looks pink. It's really purple.

IMG00042.jpg
    Last edited by ugriffin; 06/04/2010 at 06:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Mine have never been yellow and I'm on my 3rd device.

They've always looked like white LEDs behind the black casing which gives them a purple tone. I can see the white poking out around my button.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoboy View Post
    Mine have never been yellow and I'm on my 3rd device.

They've always looked like white LEDs behind the black casing which gives them a purple tone. I can see the white poking out around my button.

So basically the yellow pre is the mutant one? No way lol :P

Ok, rephrase, the yellow one looks yellowish white, the purple one looks purple. No color hue play stuff. It lights up purple.

Any ideas?
    Do the following, I wanna see if this is a problem with my pre alone, place your left thumb on the left side of the gesture area, then put the right thumb on the other side at the same time, does it dim? What is this for? Multi-touch on the gesture area??? And it sort of changes colors, don't ask me I'm color blind ):
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Axmirza2 View Post
    Do the following, I wanna see if this is a problem with my pre alone, place your left thumb on the left side of the gesture area, then put the right thumb on the other side at the same time, does it dim? What is this for? Multi-touch on the gesture area??? And it sort of changes colors, don't ask me I'm color blind ):
    Yes, mine dims.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Axmirza2 View Post
    It doesn't dim. It lights up with the first thumb and it stays the same with the second... can someone else come and clarify this? XD

Edit: the yellow Pre does dim when I place the second finger. But the first Pre is running OS 1.0 while I hack the MSL/SPC so it could be that. I'm updating and posting back the results...
    Last edited by ugriffin; 06/04/2010 at 06:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    These colors are fairly true on my monitor here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoboy View Post
    These colors are fairly true on my monitor here.
    Ah I see, much better! Pretty cool, I didn't know that they changed colors, Cool stuff!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I'm in the dark here. Can anyone explain why one Palm Pre turns yellow and the other purple?
    Quote Originally Posted by ugriffin View Post
    It doesn't dim. It lights up with the first thumb and it stays the same with the second... can someone else come and clarify this? XD

Edit: the yellow Pre does dim when I place the second finger. But the first Pre is running OS 1.0 while I hack the MSL/SPC so it could be that. I'm updating and posting back the results...
    Mine dims when I try that. I haven't paid close attention to the button LED for a while. Now that I'm looking at it more, I notice it emits a sickly yellow glow... It's also chipping. My poor Pre.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Yep, the dim thing is something that started working on the purple Pre with 1.4.1.1.

Hmmmm....
    makes sense. If you are using the gesture area, you don't need a bright home bottom glaring at you. Fyi, the VZ Pre+ does that too, even though the LED line is never very bright.
    Lets hope that dimming thing leads to some other functionality to the gesture area, And mine also has a sickly yellow glow and is chipping...
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I actually prefer the "sickly yellow" to the purple since that's what I'm used to. XD
    if you leave a purple one out in the sun, it will probably turn yellow...
    Quote Originally Posted by ugriffin View Post
    I actually prefer the "sickly yellow" to the purple since that's what I'm used to. XD
    Would you like to trade?