Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As you can see by my thread count, been a long time Treo user .... forum activity dropped off as, to my mind, the newer devices weren't getting better. The Treo 650 has served me for almost 6 years, finally dying about 2 weeks ago. Had AT&T made the Pre+ available 2 months ago, I woulda bough it in a heartbeat.

With an investment in a good amount of Treo apps and accessories including a Seido GPS cradle w/ TomTom software and Pro-something (senior moment, can't remember .... hit 55in January) custom car mounting kit, the Pre+ seemed an automatic. But after playing with it, and seeing HP buy out Palm, I have to say I am queasy about continuing to invest my $$ in the platform.

I am particularly perturbed about the rubbing I'll have to put up with from my Jesus Phone owning sons if I succumb to the draw that device provides. For the past few years I have been responding to their "I have an app for that" with .... "I have had an app for that for 5 years".

Aside from the above, I am particularly concerned about the loss of functionality I am perceiving with the Pre+. Maybe I'm just not seeing something but the touch screen navigation is a drop from the D-Pad when your eyes have to be elsewhere. The keypad is smaller and requires me to keep my eye on it which was my main beef with the iPhone.

What may be the deal breaker for me is GPS. My next device must have stand alone satellite based GPS. I do not want to carry around a 2nd device for navigation. TomTom for the iPhone appears to provide all the functionality of TomTom on the 650. From what I have been able to determine, no equivalent option is available for the Pre.

I am not multimedia user. A cell phone is a tool, I don't use it to entertain myself. Web access is for say getting the ferry schedule when I am 100 miles away from the dock so I can see if I have time to stop for a meal. E-mail on a handheld for me is limited to instances when I can not get to a full size keyboard for 24 hours. Sorry but thumb typing is simply too unproductive for the demands I have on my time.

Just how functional is running older Palm OS apps on the Web OS devcie ? I do use the following apps and am wondering whether an upgrade path, alternate versions or equivalent apps are available. Bolded items critical:

BackupBuddy
    Bonzai
    Various Unit Conversion Apps
    SciCalc
    DateDifference
    DayCalc
    Keyoe Diet and Exercise Assistant Track my mountain biking activity w/ this ....
    Directory Assistant
    DocsToGo
    eBook Reader
    Flight Status

Fuel Record
    HandyShopper
    MetroPalm
    MiniBar
    Various PDF Readers
    PocketTVBrowser
    Soduku
    StopWatch
    TideTool
    TipPro
    TMP
    TrackerDog
    VoiceDial
    Various Management Utilities

I used to have a link which cross referenced all the Palm apps and what worked on what device but it was on a long dead laptop. So.....

1. Can someone point me to a source which will allow me to determine what apps I can either continue to use or have equivalents for the WebOS ?

2. Can someone give me some solid arguments for staying in the Palm ....er HP family ? Apple's market penetration is snowballing into a big advantage that I dunno if HP can overcome....the Palm Exercise Program for example runs $24.95 whereas the iPhone is $10 .... I can only guess because the larger market offers greater rewards, economies of scale allow for lower pricing and compatible accessories coming faster to market.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 06/04/2010 at 05:32 PM.
    who cares just do what ever you want you don't have to start a thread.
    You need to get what works best for you. If you want to use any of your old Palm apps, the Pre will be your best bet. But you might want to use apps with similar functions on newer platforms. It's your choice.

Most in these forums like the Pre, but like anything else in life, there is no one size that truly fits all
    Have you looked into Classic?
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    You need to get what works best for you. If you want to use any of your old Palm apps, the Pre will be your best bet. But you might want to use apps with similar functions on newer platforms. It's your choice.
    That's a given....but knowing what will work best for you involves having the information in hand. That was the purpose of the post. To obtain information. For example, some of the questions looking to be answered:

1. Is there a functional equivalent to TomTom on the Treo for the Pre+ which will involve a satellite based GPS Chip, Mounting / charging cradle and software.

2. How do native Palm OS work on the Web OS ? Is it akin to running Windows on a Mac (in other words ..... emulated apps run unbearingly slow) or is the performance difference unperceivable.

3. Do "apps with similar functions on newer platforms" actually exist ?

Once I can answer those questions, I will be in a position to ,make the choice.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 06/04/2010 at 05:32 PM.
    there are definitely great onverters, and stopwatches. I think I've seen several of those types of apps in the catolg. Apps to go for viewing is built in however we are still awaiting an editable version. As far as gps there are both advantages of a gps that's on board or over the air. The map is always updated for one which is nice, however it relies on data for maps which can be troublesome in bad data areas. I do think all hps's will have some acces to maps over the internet. Voice activation tpe stuff is coming. However I do understand that the choice between iphone and any phone is hard because it's a stable, smooth running platform supported heavily which means you can almost always find what you need on it. I've considered it since there are sevral apps it has I want and features like visual voicemail which I love and miss from my instinct (probably only thing I miss) does att have a 30 day policy? I'm thinking about doing that with the evo. Love my pre but lately it's having too many problems and sprint won't exchange it because the battery cracked door is physical damage and they won't exhcange a phone with physical damage even thoug I've tried explaining it's not my fault and is a defect. I would recommend waiting for the next device by palm.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Have you looked into Classic?
    Here we go, I knew some of the old timers would kick in and hlp out.

I assume you mean this:

Classic - MotionApps

Of course not knowing the name of the utility makes it damn difficult to search for. Thanks for starting me along. Of course if there are Web OS based apps with similar functions, I'd be going that route instead. Any site that croiss references these ?

How is the performance under Classic ?
    the answer is that you have to spend some time using webOS. 5 minutes to learn 5 gestures + Universal Search. Then use it to do all the important stuff like send a txt, create a contact, call someone, open a web page (just start typing)... If you are like most Treo/Centro owners, you will feel at home and you will pick it quickly.

Classic will help you use your existing apps.

Look around the homebrew app catalog on PreCentral, and the app catalog on the Palm app site. That will give you a good indication of the apps currently available. About 4,000 between homebrew and the official catalog.

Then buy it. You have 30 days to change your mind... You will have to get a 3rd party app if you want to continue to hotsync like you do on your Treo. Palm has morphed their sync technology into Synergy, which syncs with multiple on-line accounts for contacts and calendars...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...-their-pc.html

I've been using Palm since the Pilot, and I felt right at home with the Pre+ and 3rd party sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    Here we go, I knew some of the old timers would kick in and hlp out.

I assume you mean this:

Classic - MotionApps

Of course not knowing the name of the utility makes it damn difficult to search for. Thanks for starting me along. Of course if there are Web OS based apps with similar functions, I'd be going that route instead. Any site that croiss references these ?

How is the performance under Classic ?
    We have a whole forum dedicated to classic
    http://forums.precentral.net/official-classic/
    Just call me Berd.
    You can always do the 30 day trial. I doubt you"ll return it.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Many who made the transition from PalmOS used classic, and then slowly weaned themselves off from needing their old apps.
    Just call me Berd.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    there are definitely great onverters, and stopwatches. I think I've seen several of those types of apps in the catolg. Apps to go for viewing is built in however we are still awaiting an editable version. As far as gps there are both advantages of a gps that's on board or over the air. The map is always updated for one which is nice, however it relies on data for maps which can be troublesome in bad data areas. I do think all hps's will have some acces to maps over the internet.
    I have taken several trips with my son ..... me with the Treo / TomTom and him with his freebie iPhone based GPS. In one instance in New York City the iPhone was blocks behind and was totally useless. His car stereo was stolen and with the insurance check, he was able to upgrade to the unit w/ built in GPS ....iPhone freebie based upon googlemaps or whatever just wasn't cutting it.

Voice activation type stuff is coming. However I do understand that the choice between iphone and any phone is hard because it's a stable, smooth running platform supported heavily which means you can almost always find what you need on it. .... I would recommend waiting for the next device by palm.
    That's the biggie .... not only are the apps already here .... but I'm noticing that they are cheaper than equivalent palm apps....I was planning on waiting but w/ my 650 having bitten the dust, that option isn't available.

Much thanks for the response.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You will have to get a 3rd party app if you want to continue to hotsync like you do on your Treo. Palm has morphed their sync technology into Synergy, which syncs with multiple on-line accounts for contacts and calendars...
    Glad you brought it up.....I use no things Microsoft other than their OS.....No Internet Explorer (FireFox), no Outlook (Thunderbird), PIM stuff is in Organizer which I can sync w/ Palm Desktop.

Google Facebook and Exchange are things I'm not interested in
    Glad you brought it up.....I use no things Microsoft other than their OS.....No Internet Explorer (FireFox), no Outlook (Thunderbird), PIM stuff is in Organizer which I can sync w/ Palm Desktop.

Google Facebook and Exchange are things I'm not interested in
    What are you running Palm Desktop on if you don't have windows?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Many who made the transition from PalmOS used classic, and then slowly weaned themselves off from needing their old apps.
    Wouldn't use Classic and and an old app if a new Web OS one was available .... that's why was looking for a cross reference that would list ....

If you used this under Palm OS ....... get this under Web OS

used to have time on my hands where I could search forums for a cupla hours per day .... last two weeks for example, I averaged 86 hours on the job ... don't currently have that kinda time available.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    What are you running Palm Desktop on if you don't have windows?
    read again

I use no things Microsoft other than their OS

In other words, no exchange, no internet explorer, no outlook, no MS office
    Wouldn't use Classic and and an old app if a new Web OS one was available .... that's why was looking for a cross reference that would list ....

If you used this under Palm OS ....... get this under Web OS

used to have time on my hands where I could search forums for a cupla hours per day .... last two weeks for example, I averaged 86 hours on the job ... don't currently have that kinda time available.
    The problem is someone would have to look up what many of those apps do...

BackupBuddy - homebrew
    Bonzai - no idea
    Various Unit Conversion Apps - many
    SciCalc - probably
    DateDifference - probably
    DayCalc - no idea
    Keyoe Diet and Exercise Assistant Track my mountain biking activity w/ this .... - several
    Directory Assistant - ypmobile, yelp, etc -
    DocsToGo - nothing yet
    eBook Reader - several, I don't remember the names
    Flight Status - FlightView
    Fuel Record - several, don't remember names
    HandyShopper - Not sure, but there are many shopping apps
    MetroPalm - Many apps overlap, including NYC train schedules, etc. The web browser for the Pre is a real browser, so you can find stuff right out of Google, too.

MiniBar - something is available
    Various PDF Readers - comes with one, others available
    PocketTVBrowser - Several available
    Soduku - many
    StopWatch - many
    TideTool - something is available
    TipPro - many
    TMP - no idea
    TrackerDog - no idea
    VoiceDial - not available yet pending new API for mic
    Various Management Utilities - no idea what this is. The homebrew community provides more management capabilities for webOS than you can possible imagine. Not sure if this is what you need...
    That's a given....but knowing what will work best for you involves having the information in hand. That was the purpose of the post. To obtain information. For example, some of the questions looking to be answered:

1. Is there a functional equivalent to TomTom on the Treo for the Pre+ which will involve a satellite based GPS Chip, Mounting / charging cradle and software.

2. How do native Palm OS work on the Web OS ? Is it akin to running Windows on a Mac (in other words ..... emulated apps run unbearingly slow) or is the performance difference unperceivable.

3. Do "apps with similar functions on newer platforms" actually exist ?

Once I can answer those questions, I will be in a position to make the choice.

1) Never use the GPS functions on the Treo because I've always preferred a dedicated device. On Verizon devices GPS is painful at best. Others can speak about use on other networks.

2) Not all Classic programs work with the Classic application. As previously mentioned, do the trial to see it yours will. It can be slow loading, but has been good to me once Classic is running. Using a finger for some programs designed for a stylus can be problematic but is not unbearable.

3) Not knowing all of what those programs will do I can't say for sure. But there are many more apps than the tech press would have one believe. Between the Classic program, (if you are happy with it) and WebOS based apps, you 'll find most all of what you need. Anyone with a long list of items will have problems finding everything they were using (i've been using PAl;m devices since the first model)

Sorry if the first response was rather vague. The title "Talk Me Out of It!", sounded more existential than an actual plea for practical help. A lot of such post get here. People feel as if looking at another phone is akin to cheating on their spouse.

C
    read again

I use no things Microsoft other than their OS

In other words, no exchange, no internet explorer, no outlook, no MS office
    Read again. You said you are using Palm Desktop. That requires an operating system. Can't help you if you don't answer questions.
    the at&t telenav works much better than google maps on the pre, but it does need an internet connection to load the map itself, then uses the gps to track you.it's $10 a month though.

Both the iPhone OS and webOS are head and shoulders abouve the competition, both are really smooth and intuitive, the real differences between the two is iPhone is more entertainment/consumtion orientated with lots of polish and tons of support, while webOS is more about connectivity and tradition smart phone based with some rough edges and less support. Both have pluses and minuses, but odds are with the support the iPhone you'll be able to find a program that will fill your needs, where as with the pre you would be banking on future support if the app isn't available.
    I suggest going to an at&t store and playing around with both to see which OS you like better then go from there.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast