support as in apps

homebrew support is good for both

tech support from the carriers is the same
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    read again

I use no things Microsoft other than their OS

In other words, no exchange, no internet explorer, no outlook, no MS office
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Read again. You said you are using Palm Desktop. That requires an operating system. Can't help you if you don't answer questions.
    oops! You didn't read again.
    maybe its a cultural difference, but just WOW. You're still using a Treo 650!!!
    Here in the UK everybody, and i mean everybody upgrades within 2 years....
    Anyway!

Dont go for the Pre, its a poorly built device. Another newer device should be coming anyway.

Try any of the lastest android offerings or go for the iphone.

Those who say go for Pre have lower expectations from their phones! :P
    Although WebOS is great, its still not ready for everybody
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    maybe its a cultural difference, but just WOW. You're still using a Treo 650!!!
    Here in the UK everybody, and i mean everybody upgrades within 2 years....
    Anyway!

Dont go for the Pre, its a poorly built device. Another newer device should be coming anyway.

I like my Pre+, I recommend the Pre+, and I disagree with this post...
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post

Build quality of the AT&T Pre Plus is noticeably better than on other carriers, according to PreCentral's own review -

http://www.precentral.net/att-palm-pre-plus-review

What Palm Exercise Program did you see for $24.95? I did a search in my on-phone App catalog for "Exercise", and didn't see any fitness-related programs for more than $4.99.

I think you'll find functional equivalents for most of your PalmOS software on webOS. There's no Document editing yet - (you can view Word, Excel and PDFs) and there is no connection to Standalone GPS units.

For GPS, the market for standalone units connecting to phones or PDAs no longer exists, as far as I know - most phones have an integrated GPS chip, and to avoid the hassle of loading maps, come with software that displays maps from on-line sources, loaded over the 3G or wi-fi connection. I think one of the webOS GPS apps based on Open Street Maps lets you cache maps for later offline use, but I can't find a reference to it right now.

Palm has a list of featured apps on their site at:

Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.

(...these are just apps that they feature - not all available apps.)

If you tried the keyboard on the Pre and didn't like it, what about the Pixi? I understand it has a slightly better keyboard, and will be available on AT&T tomorrow. (June 6th) I'm 6' 7" tall, and have larger than average hands and fingers. I have no trouble at all thumb typing on the Pre's keyboard. It helps that I am a touch typist, and know where all the keys are, so I'm not hunting for them.

I switched over from a Palm TX, and have gradually transitioned over as I find apps that replace functionality I was using on PalmOS. I haven't had trouble finding at least 1, usually 2 or 3 apps that do the same or similar thing for me on webOS. I use my TX less and less every day.

As for staying with the Palm family, just like with any family, that's a decision only you can make. But if you decide to leave, just like a real family - we'll be here to welcome you back, when you realize the error of your ways.
    I went from a 650 to a Pre. I had a zillion Palm programs. I was afraid to let go.

A year ago there were a number of old Treo programs that did not have webOS equivalents. Classic eased the transition.

Get a Pre. Get Classic to ease the emotional transition.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE View Post
    2. How do native Palm OS work on the Web OS ? Is it akin to running Windows on a Mac (in other words ..... emulated apps run unbearingly slow) or is the performance difference unperceivable.
    Windows on a Mac has not had to run in emulated mode for about six years now. They run at full speed if you boot to Windows on a Mac or marginally slower if you run Windows in a VM.

Classic essentially runs PalmOS in a VM. Hotsyncing is limited to over the air methods though. I don't think all apps that run on a Treo will run on Classic though.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I went from a 650 to a Pre. I had a zillion Palm programs. I was afraid to let go.

A year ago there were a number of old Treo programs that did not have webOS equivalents. Classic eased the transition.

Get a Pre. Get Classic to ease the emotional transition.

- Craig
    I agree wholeheartedly. I think you'd really grow to love a Pre, but for an entrenched Palm OS user like yourself, it may take a little longer than the 30-day guarantee period.

Also, regarding the GPS, I saw someone on here had gotten stand-along GPS working. It is a little involved, but well worth it, if that is something you need. Regarding your son's experience in NYC, I was just there and the Sprint Nav (telenav) on my Pre worked great! No problems whatsoever.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12