Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if the AT&T Pre Plus can be hack/patch to utilize the additional tri-band 2100MHz UMTS so it can use the 3G voice/data in Europe/Asia.

Because I think regardless it is the AT&T Pre Plus or European version, the physical phone 3G Radio itself is the same.... it should only be the firmware that is limiting it to 850/1900 MHz on AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by rainmicky View Post
    Does anyone know if the AT&T Pre Plus can be hack/patch to utilize the additional tri-band 2100MHz UMTS so it can use the 3G voice/data in Europe/Asia.

Because I think regardless it is the AT&T Pre Plus or European version, the physical phone 3G Radio itself is the same.... it should only be the firmware that is limiting it to 850/1900 MHz on AT&T.
    The power amplifier and antenna circuitry will be different for different bands.

It's not just firmware. The Pre is quad-band GSM and dual-band UMTS, and no amount of software hacking will make it a tri-band UMTS.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I just wish more handset manufacturers would do what Nokia is doing with the N8 - it's going to have all the UTMS bands so it'll work with every current GSM carrier's 3G implementation. The cost differential can't be that much to do something like that, especially when you consider the cost of manufacturing two different (or more) phones that are specially made for different UTMS bands.

--Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    I just wish more handset manufacturers would do what Nokia is doing with the N8 - it's going to have all the UTMS bands so it'll work with every current GSM carrier's 3G implementation. The cost differential can't be that much to do something like that, especially when you consider the cost of manufacturing two different (or more) phones that are specially made for different UTMS bands.

--Matt
    +1
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    This has always been 'the' problem with Palm. They can never be on the edge of technology or make a complete product. They always end up cutting corners and at times for no logical reasons. A 'smartphone' in todays day and time ought to be a world phone.
    You are so right.
    Micah lane
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    This has always been 'the' problem with Palm. They can never be on the edge of technology or make a complete product. They always end up cutting corners and at times for no logical reasons. A 'smartphone' in todays day and time ought to be a world phone.
    Well if your directly stating that because of the Radio.
    RIM and Apple dont have an all around radio that can be used on any network for 3G, those are some pretty good competitors that dont do the same thing. I wouldnt say Palm is really behind on that.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei VI View Post
    RIM and Apple dont have an all around radio that can be used on any network for 3G, those are some pretty good competitors that dont do the same thing. I wouldnt say Palm is really behind on that.
    Agreed. Most Forum participants' idea of what a smartphone "should" be does not align very well with commercial realities

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Agreed. Most Forum participants' idea of what a smartphone "should" be does not align very well with commercial realities
    Is it not possible, that these companies are not in sync with the reality of what the customer wants? The fact is, that these companies in collusion with service providers, do this on purpose to control the market. Has anyone wondered, why it is only the small time cellphone manufacturers that sell cellphones with multiple radios and dual SIMs? Bottom line, is that our governments and regulatory bodies are not doing their jobs. I personally just don't understand the concept of getting cellphones locked to a particular service. By the same logic we should be getting our TVs from the cable/DTH operator too.

PS: The fact is, that it was Handspring which was the progressive and innovative company. Palm simply rode their horse into the ground. From being No. 1 in the smart phone business, to being on the verge of bankruptcy and ultimately being bought out, sure tells you how great Palm's strategies have been.
    Is it not possible, that these companies are not in sync with the reality of what the customer wants? The fact is, that these companies in collusion with service providers, do this on purpose to control the market. Has anyone wondered, why it is only the small time cellphone manufacturers that sell cellphones with multiple radios and dual SIMs? Bottom line, is that our governments and regulatory bodies are not doing their jobs. I personally just don't understand the concept of getting cellphones locked to a particular service.
    The fact is that the US population has given over all control of the whole US cellphone ecosystem to the cellular providers, in return for subsidies on price.

This is one of the commercial realities that I was referring to that Palm needed to live within.

The people to blame for that, and the only people who can change those commercial realities, are the consumers, by exclusively purchasing unlocked GSM phones at full price. Will this happen? Never.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I agree, it would be nice to have a phone with "everything goes" radio but, honestly, how many of potential buyers really, genuinely, requires that kind of phone?
    Situation will improve in time, I think, as chip and antenna technologies keep improving. They do, I can't see any reason why not.
    Before that happens, anyways, for a couple years there still will be very, very good devices with somewhat restricted radios.
    Why so? Technology doesn't improve by itself. Designing electronics working optimally with low dissipation power in numerous frequency bands, that's extremely challenging.
    Some companies have to invest - they have done so and still are - quite a lot in research and development and they most definetely want their investments back. That means initial prices for these "universal" phones tend to be higher, compared to those using a bit older - and also more stable technology.
    And, as I said earlier, those who really require the phone operating all over the world are not so many.
    As usual with these things:
    the people who care, can't change
    the people who can change, don't care
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    As usual with these things:
    the people who care, can't change
    the people who can change, don't care
    Profound.
    Profound.
    I'm with group 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rei VI View Post
    RIM has a tri-band UTMS radio on the 9700 that can be used for 3G on AT&T and 3G in Europe and a T-Mobile version that can be used for 3G on T-Mobile and 3G in Europe.

The Palm Treo Pro also had a tri-band radio (AT&T and Europe bands) as does the iPhone.

It's only the Pre that seems to be shipping with dual band UTMS radios.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Actually, if I am not mistaken, the Pre too has a tri band radio. It's just that Palm is intentionally disabling the band based on, whether it is a EU specific or AT&T specific model.
    The chip is capable of doing it, but I'm sure the hardware transceivers necessary aren't there.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Actually, if I am not mistaken, the Pre too has a tri band radio. It's just that Palm is intentionally disabling the band based on, whether it is a EU specific or AT&T specific model.
    Which if true, is pretty stupid on Palm's part.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    RIM has a tri-band UTMS radio on the 9700 that can be used for 3G on AT&T and 3G in Europe and a T-Mobile version that can be used for 3G on T-Mobile and 3G in Europe.

The Palm Treo Pro also had a tri-band radio (AT&T and Europe bands) as does the iPhone.

The 'iPhone 4' will have 'Quadband GSM & Pentaband HSPA'. Damn, the more I look at the specifications of the iPhone 4, the less I want the Palm Pre Plus. If only the iPhone was not an Apple product. I just can't bring myself to buy a product from a company that wants to monopolize everything and treat it's customers as bonded slaves to their greed. But honestly, the Pre just got kicked into the stone age. How I wish HTC had bought Palm.

iPhone 4
    Cellular: Quadband GSM, Pentaband HSPA
    WiFi: 802.11b/g/n
    Display resolution: 960 x 640
    Primary camera: 5 megapixel AF, LED flash
    Secondary camera: VGA
    Video recording: 720p at 30fps
    Video calling: Yes (WiFi only)
    Location / orientation sensors: AGPS, Compass, Accelerometer, Gyroscope
    Battery life:
    Up to 7 hours talk time on 3G, 14 hours on 2G
    Up to 10 hours data on WiFi
    Up to 40 hours audio
    Up to 10 hours video
    Weight: 137 grams / 4.8 oz.
    Dimensions: 115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3mm
    Pentaband HSPA
    That's every HSPA band currently in use, WORLDWIDE!

If it's RF noise from the Fruity 3Gs device causing it to drop so many calls, I wonder what kind of havoc Pentaband HSPA RF interference is going to cause for users.

Of course the FruitPhone 4 will be locked to AT&T .......
    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast