1.    #1  
    I was perusing palm's support site and came across this posting. thought it was very interesting and didnt even know testing of this type existed before. I have the same problem this customer has, however it doesnt bother me too much to want to replace the device. If I use my finger nail instead of my finger the problem is solved. however this may not be a solution you want, so please read below.

courtesy of someone named "artwest50" on the palm forums

Re: Pre Plus Keyboard Problems - Keys not being recognized or double enteringOptions Mark as New

Bookmark

Subscribe

Subscribe to RSS Feed

Highlight

Print

Email to a Friend

Report Inappropriate Content

05-29-2010 04:43 PM

Hi, I just got my Palm Pre Plus almost two weeks ago and I'm starting to have the same problems as far as missing characters and double strokes are concerned. I contacted Palm and she was very nice; she had me reboot and come back up and going into Device Informations; then she asked me to tap the top left and tap on "tests"; then she had me tap on "Interactive Tests..." I then tapped "Hardware Buttons" and tapped on every single keyboard button. The characters "H" and "O" would not appear the first time I tapped them. She then said that I could take my Palm Pre Plus to the Verizon store and get it replaced. This I plan to do on June 1. I know have the ammunition I need when facing down the store reps!

-- Art
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I tried that test and had no problems. But I still get missed and doubled letters when using the slide-out keyboard during messaging. And yes I've updated the OS to v1.4.1.1. thorne
  3. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I tried that test and had no problems. But I still get missed and doubled letters when using the slide-out keyboard during messaging. And yes I've updated the OS to v1.4.1.1. thorne
    Me. Too. Before 1.4.1.1, my "B" and "Y" keys always double-typed, but they were the only ones. Since the update, those same two keys are the source of all my missing letters, and only those two keys. The update seesm to have over-corrected the problem.
    Yep, I found that 1.4.1.1 solved 99% of my keyboard problems. It solved 100% of the double typing issues, too. Only the "b" continued to skip, and it did so in exactly the same way it had before the update. Unless I slowed typing and hit the key right in the middle, it would skip. If I hit it too hard, it would type bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb until I hit another key.

I called VZ customer service and they sent me another one (I hate dealing with the technicians in their stores...) The good news is that the phone they sent me is perfect. Tight, shiny, no squeaks, etc. Perfect.

If you have a consistent issue with missing letters for specific keys, you should call customer service. They will take you through their standard troubleshooting "script", which doesn't take long for this sort of issue. Tell them you've already done a full erase/restore so they don't waste time on that one, they will probably have you restart the phone, do the interactive test, and then send you another phone. They even come with return fedex labels so you can just drop the old one off at Kinkos. It's a beautiful thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Me. Too. Before 1.4.1.1, my "B" and "Y" keys always double-typed, but they were the only ones. Since the update, those same two keys are the source of all my missing letters, and only those two keys. The update seesm to have over-corrected the problem.
    I believe that the problem you have left is actually hardware. The 1.4.1.1 update solved a different set of issues that masked what you are seeing now. As I said in an earlier post, calling VZ customer service should result in getting a replacement.