Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Hello, Ive been searching everywhere and cant seem to find the answer to this. Is it possible to get my Pre connected to the interet via the PS3s built in wifi?!? I dont care about a hotspot to get the ps3 connected to the internet. I already have the PS3 connected to the net via a wired connection. Does anybody know?!? My Pre finds like 5 wifi connections but they all have locks on them but one and the only one that doesent is very weak and cuts in and out and usually ends up saying Assosiation failed. Can anybody help me out?
    I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but if I am reading correctly, I think you are asking how you can connect your pre to the internet using your ps3's wifi.

The answer would be that the ps3 does not have the capability to broadcast wifi, it is only able to search for networks and connect itself to those networks.

You would want a router to do what you are trying to do with your ps3.
    I don't think you can turn your PS3 into a router.(couldn't find anything googling it) This might be better answered on a PS3 forum as this is more about a capability of the PS3 not the Pre.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Why do you want to turn your PS3 into an access point when you could simply add a cheap access point to your network (or replace your router with a wireless router)?

You probably can use the PS3 as an access point if you did not do the last software upgrade (which removed the ability to run Linux on the PS3) and if you have installed Linux on your PS3, but I would not expend the effort to do that.
    Yea...spending $15 on a wireless router would make way more sense than installing linux and working that out. Fun thought though.

I was always hoping to use the phone to control the ps3 via bluetooth, either as a remote, controller, or simply as a keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by carnivalrejectq View Post
    Hello, Ive been searching everywhere and cant seem to find the answer to this. Is it possible to get my Pre connected to the interet via the PS3s built in wifi?!? I dont care about a hotspot to get the ps3 connected to the internet. I already have the PS3 connected to the net via a wired connection. Does anybody know?!? My Pre finds like 5 wifi connections but they all have locks on them but one and the only one that doesent is very weak and cuts in and out and usually ends up saying Assosiation failed. Can anybody help me out?
    Pay the cash to buy a router and stop hijacking other people's WiFi and complaining about it. They paid money for their Wireless router, you need to as well. Deal with it and stop stealing stuff others work for. Wow, $20 will kill you even though the cost of a smartphone won't.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    First of all Aurthorthurton, whats will the hostility? I am not trying to steal anything from anybody. Who said that?!? IK i mentioned the locks on their connections but I wasnt trying to make that the main point. I understand why they are locked and am not trying to steal them. There is one in my area that isnt locked. Obviously whoevers network that is, doesent give a **** so I do use that one from time to time.

Also furthermore , I kinda realized my stupidity after this post and thought about how the PS3 just searches for available networks its self, the same as the Pre does. I dont know why i even thought it could host its own. Thats my own stupidity.

Im also just not a fan of wireless routers and I have no idea where in the world your buying a decent wireless router for $20.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    The PS3 can be an access point, but only for the PSP. You have to connect the PSP via USB before it will use the Access point. The password is thus obscured without any way of finding out.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    mhmmmm makes me wonder if there will ever be a remote play app for the Pre......probably not
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Looking into this further, you can only use the PS3's access point for remote play. Registering a mobile phone for remote play is possible, but couldn't work out how to register the Pre. The password can be set manually.