Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    is the pre capable of exporting contacts from itself to say the htc evo that im thinking about getting? I remember when i had to replace my pre that once they deactivate it all the contacts are lost.
    and i transferred my contacts to my computer once i just forgot how and lost the link if anyone could redirect me to it.
    No. Though... There is a Preware app that will enable you to export your contacts that are stored in the Palm profile. Don't have that link at the moment but perhaps some other kind soul will post it.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    There is a patch in Preware that takes all of your contacts and bundles them into an email for sending. You would have to expand them in Outlook or Google and then back to your Evo. I think the patch is called send all contacts to email or something like that.
    Why not back your contacts up to GOOGLE and not Palm. That way GOOGLE synch should automatically transfer them to the EVO. You can change where your contacts are stored by selecting the contracts icon, hit the drop down in the upper left and then selecting Preferences and Accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    No. Though... There is a Preware app that will enable you to export your contacts that are stored in the Palm profile. Don't have that link at the moment but perhaps some other kind soul will post it.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...via-email.html
    Follow the instructions about halfway down the page of this thread: Palm Pre Contacts Export

Quote Originally Posted by travoloso View Post
    Why not back your contacts up to GOOGLE and not Palm. That way GOOGLE synch should automatically transfer them to the EVO. You can change where your contacts are stored by selecting the contracts icon, hit the drop down in the upper left and then selecting Preferences and Accounts.
    Because not all of were made aware of the Google contacts trick until it was too late.
    they should be able to do that for you at the store. same method they use for non-smartphones...
    Just a heads-up, the transfer FAILED at the store for me this morning! It kept giving them a "phonebook" does not exist error or something.

Hence why I'm searching for ways to get my contacts off my Pre and onto the shiny new EVO. I'm going to give the gmail sync thing a shot.

I think my Pre is just ****ed at me now.

FYI, they wanted to give me only $65 trade-in on my Pre!! Please, I'll keep it and just use if for wifi or WebOS development for that price.
    Why don't you just go for a syncing solution like gsyncit? It'll sync all your contacts from outlook to a google account (and you can use a dedicated google account just for this). This way, any new phone can be made to sync with outlook (majority of smartphone OS'es support this) or with google (android, webos support this)..and you'll also have 2 backups of all your contacts!
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Follow the instructions about halfway down the page of this thread: Palm Pre Contacts Export

Because not all of were made aware of the Google contacts trick until it was too late.
    It's not a trick.. It's the way the phone is meant to work. In the 'cloud'. That whole WebOS thing.

I'm a linux nerd though. If I wanted a copy on another device, I'd just dump the contacts from the database itself using sqlite (actually, I do this as part of an if-up script to sync to my mail clients and roku soundbridge at home) You know, that was a hell of a lot easier than using Google's APIs to get at the data? Something seriously wrong with that...
    : (){:|:&};: