Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I am going to sell my Palm Pre and I would like to know what measures I should take to insure that all my data is cleared and it is reset to factory settings. My Pre is heavily patched and I want to make sure that all of the patches are undone. I also want to make sure that all of my movies, videos, pictures and all other personal/private data is not on the phone.

Do I just use webos doctor and revert to the original software that came with the phone? Or are there other steps that I should take to insure that everything is cleared?
    There is a secure erase under reset options in device manager.

*edit* that should be device info.
    Last edited by Sukiyaki; 06/03/2010 at 12:03 PM.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    There is a secure erase under reset options in device manager.

*edit* that should be device info.
    Are you talking about full erase? Will that remove all patches as well?
    Yes. Device Info>Reset Options>Full Erase>Secure Erase

*Secure Erase is the same as Full Erase with added protection. I would do the Secure Erase if you are trading in a phone for a refurb. or having your phone for sale.*
    Last edited by swissarmy; 06/03/2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added information
    Quote Originally Posted by horadin View Post
    I am going to sell my Palm Pre and I would like to know what measures I should take to insure that all my data is cleared and it is reset to factory settings. My Pre is heavily patched and I want to make sure that all of the patches are undone. I also want to make sure that all of my movies, videos, pictures and all other personal/private data is not on the phone.

Do I just use webos doctor and revert to the original software that came with the phone? Or are there other steps that I should take to insure that everything is cleared?
    As for patches I would just remove them via WebOs QInstall or Preware. No need to Doctor the phone....
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swissarmy View Post
    As for patches I would just remove them via WebOs QInstall or Preware. No need to Doctor the phone....
    Thank you for the info.
    won't putting it in demo mode remove everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by -Gamah View Post
    won't putting it in demo mode remove everything?
    nope... you need to Secure Erase everything as mentioned above.
    Do a full erase, and after you are done with the phone, go to your various services such as Google, facebook, twitter, etc etc. and change you passwords..
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Do the Secure Erase and you should not need to change your passwords. You should be good to go to sell the phone then.
    beware secure erase takes about 45 minutes, i would make sure to just leave it plugged in!
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    Won't doctoring it basically do the same thing as a secure erase? I ask because I doctored my phone awhile ago and since haven't used it. Since I don't have the phone connected at the moment I can't connect to the network to log into my palm profile to secure erase. I know I wiped the USB drive before doctoring. Just wondering if everything is clean now and okay to give the phone to a friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by hnharrison24 View Post
    Won't doctoring it basically do the same thing as a secure erase? I ask because I doctored my phone awhile ago and since haven't used it. Since I don't have the phone connected at the moment I can't connect to the network to log into my palm profile to secure erase. I know I wiped the USB drive before doctoring. Just wondering if everything is clean now and okay to give the phone to a friend.
    Yes. Doctoring your device is the BEST way to prepare it for reselling. It securely erases all files, erases all patches, and removes your Palm Profile from the device.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by hnharrison24 View Post
    Actually no. The current WebOS doctor does not delete the data in the user partition I believe. What I am going to do is go ahead and run the EPR to remove my patches then do a secure erase. Maybe doctor the phone after just to be sure. I am a big fan of overkill. :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by bmhanson View Post
    Actually no. The current WebOS doctor does not delete the data in the user partition I believe. What I am going to do is go ahead and run the EPR to remove my patches then do a secure erase. Maybe doctor the phone after just to be sure. I am a big fan of overkill. :-D
    I forgot that they changed that...I havent doctored in a long time. So just erase the USB partition, and then doctor the device.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    So will doctoring have removed all my contacts/texts/emails?
    Anyone?
    I think I made a mistake. I have about 10-11 patches on my Sprint Pre and ran secure full erase without removing them first. I now can't get past the profile sign in screen to run EPR or the doctor, and can't get the doctor to recognize my Pre. And the patches, at least date and battery+percent, still seem to be there. I'd like to remove all patches. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I tried secure data erase and the do not remove battery with a full white ring has been sitting there for 15 minutes. Should i remove battery and doctor?

*EDIT* Just ended up doctoring my phone
    Last edited by as4life; 06/16/2010 at 03:51 PM.
    My first theme - Mac OSX Theme Gallery or Pre Themer

Learn how to run your pre at 800mhz Here!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast