1.    #1  
    This morning I dropped my Pre Plus on the ground. Luckily, only a few scratches/gouges in the upper left corner. But it still bothers me. I know I once saw an article about refurbishing an iPhone, and it involved sanding and some other stuff. But I don't know if the iPhone has the same kind of body as the Pre. Does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience about sanding, reglossing (?), or otherwise fixing or covering up gouges in their phone? Thanks!
    How deep? For minor things, toothpaste works well as a polish. It will take longer than others, but the results are usually better. Bonus, your pre will be minty fresh!
    : (){:|:&};:
  3.    #3  
    What kind of toothpaste? Seriously. I've heard of using toothpaste for other things as well, but they never specify whether the gel kind works or whether you need the old plain toothpaste. And now there are so many kinds! What type should I try?
  4. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Mine's getting a little scratched up too. Toothpaste! Good idea.

I found this regarding toothpaste and CDs:
    How to Fix a Scratched CD - wikiHow

---
    Polish the CD. WARNING: this can damage the disk further! Use only as a last resort, and read the instructions carefully!! Though counter-intuitive, polishing a disc can repair a scratched CD by removing some of the outer plastic coating and thus making existing scratches shallower. A number of common household products can be used to polish the CD, but toothpaste — especially baking soda toothpaste — and Brasso are probably the most tried and true. You can also use a fine-grit polishing compound that's used for cars or hard finishes.

Apply a small amount of toothpaste (must be paste, not gel) or Brasso to a soft, clean, lint-free (old undershirt) cloth: an eyeglass-cleaning cloth works well.

Gently rub the cloth on the scratch or scuff in a radial motion, (start at the center and rub out to the edge, like spokes on a wheel). Do this 10 or 12 times all around the CD.

Rubbing in a circular motion can cause small scratches that throw off the laser tracking system in the player. Try to focus your efforts solely on the scratch or scratches you’ve identified (if possible).

Polish in this manner for a couple of minutes, reapplying Brasso or toothpaste to the cloth as necessary. Be careful not to apply much pressure, although you will still be able to feel the cloth gently scratching the CD as it polishes.
  5. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    And another:
    How to Use Toothpaste to Remove Scratches | eHow.com

Toothpaste is a cheap and effective household item that you can use to remove scratches from different things. Toothpaste is most effective at removing scratches on DVDs and CDs, but can also be used on items manufactured from glass. To use toothpaste to remove scratches, you should purchase the regular paste and not the gel. Ideally, the paste should contain baking soda in order to add some grit to the substance. It does not matter which brand you choose and you can certainly buy the generic versions found in retailers.

Step 1Place a small amount of toothpaste at the site of scratches. You will need to rub it in, so start with a moderate amount of toothpaste and add more if necessary.

Step 2Use a dry cloth to rub the toothpaste into the scratched area. Follow the line of the scratch and make a circular motion with the toothpaste. Continue this process for on all of the areas where there are scratches.

Step 3Rinse away the toothpaste residue with room temperature water once you have finished rubbing the substance on the scratched item. Examine the scratches as you rinse off the toothpaste. If they are still noticeable, you may want to go over them again.

Step 4Dry the scratched item with a clean cloth. If it is a CD, DVD or game disc, you will want to try to play it right away to determine if you successfully removed the scratches.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtarvin View Post
    What kind of toothpaste? Seriously. I've heard of using toothpaste for other things as well, but they never specify whether the gel kind works or whether you need the old plain toothpaste. And now there are so many kinds! What type should I try?
    I've always used plain white crest with good results. Probably don't want anything with crystals of any kind in it.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Just tried it on the back cover that had lots of swirl marks, a miracle! It works great and now my phone smells like Ryan Seacrest's breath on that Listerine commercial.
    just remember that the Pre is plastic, and the iPhone isn't...
    not sure how it'd work on the Pre's screen, but some stores (e.g. Walmart) sell little kits to remove scratches from eye glasses.
    Or you can try this: Meguiar's Direct Clear Plastic Polish

Supposedly works on plastic used by phones.