Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    was viewing a video on my pre when it suddenly froze and went into an endless loop showing the logo.

I did the battery pull and waited etc.

I then decided to use the webos doctor. i held the volume button, inderted the battery and plugged in the usb cabel. I got the big USB icon. I then pressed next on the doctor and it started working. The bar gets to about 4%. At this point the icon on the pre changes from the USB icon to the Palm logo. I hear the "bling" from my laptop that indicates usb is connecting / disconnecting and then i get the "phone disconnected" message from the doctor. I also see that my pre is back in the reset loop.

I have tried using different cables and different computers and different usb ports and rebooting.

Do you have any suggestions?

I read in other posts that older versions of webos might help, where would i get an older version? All of the links that I've followed have been purged.

Getting a bit desperate.
    If you typed the sequence as you performed them, I think you jumped the gun a bit.

Remove battery
    Plug into wall and hold "up" volume
    Unplug from wall and into computer
    After computer connect, THEN put battery back in

etc.
    My previous phone did this to. I doctored it, although it took me a few times to get it to go. When it was finished, it would still do the loop when starting. I gave up and took it back for a new phone. It had other issues anyway, bad speaker, hard to press power button, oreo etc.
    YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!

Palm Pre
    Bell Mobility

Patches: 4x4Iconsv1, Add Date MM/DD,Default to Month View, Device Warning Temperatures, Enable Add/Delete Pages, Glass Effect, More Reminder Times, SMS to Two Seconds, Unhide Dev Mode, Unthrottle Download Manager
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    If you typed the sequence as you performed them, I think you jumped the gun a bit.

Remove battery

etc.

i tried all of the possible permutations and combinations. The thing is that the pre goes into the usb mode and shows me the big usb icon. The webos doctor connects and starts to do its thing. after about 4% the palm logo take the place of the usb icon and then at about 8% the palm goes into a reset loop and the webos doctor loses communication.

Any advice on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by stan.forums View Post
    i tried all of the possible permutations and combinations. The thing is that the pre goes into the usb mode and shows me the big usb icon. The webos doctor connects and starts to do its thing. after about 4% the palm logo take the place of the usb icon and then at about 8% the palm goes into a reset loop and the webos doctor loses communication.

Any advice on that?
    If you are getting a USB icon on the pre you aren't doing it right. Recovery mode shows a question mark on the screen.
  6.    #6  
    Thank You! This is an eye opener for me, this is the first time that i hear of a question mark for recovery mode. i will have to try this when i have the wall adapter nearby. could you please tell me at what point i should see this question mark and at what point the usb icon?

Remove battery

Thanks
  7.    #7  
    ok, i will try that right now
  8.    #8  
    how do i know it is in recovery mode?
    If you installed a theme then thats likely the problem. I installed that "blackout theme" and that happened to me too, i had to doctor the phone. And when i tried to doctor, doctor wasnt seeing my phone so i held the volume bar like the other say. From then on, i stay away from themes.
  10.    #10  
    ok so i tried and followed these instructions (quoted from VeeDubb65) to the letter:

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    The screw up you described CAN NOT brick a pre.

Your Pre is NOT bricked.

1) Turn your Pre completely off. If you can't turn it off, remove the battery to kill it. If you have to take the battery out, leave it out until I tell you to put it back it.
    2) Plug your Pre into the USB port on your computer.
    3) Press and hold the volume up button. Do NOT let go of the volume up button until I tell you to.
    4) Turn on your Pre. If you had to remove the battery, put it back in now.
    5) Within a few seconds at most, (maybe instantly) you should see a large USB symbol that fills the screen of the Pre. Once you see that symbol, you can let go of the volume up button.
    6) On your desktop run the WebOSDoctor.

That's it. The repair utility, even if you use the wrong one, CAN NOT brick your Pre.
    and yet my pre does everything according to plan, except that at 8% it goes into a reset loop. Not very encouraging.
  11.    #11  
    i will try this (because i am out of options ) though i don't see how this differs from just running the webos doctor directly
  12.    #12  
    i would assume so, that is really the only one that you can get from palm
    According to http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/How_to_recover , your phone is having trouble with the ramdisk booting up the stored data from the doctor. Try using a different computer if that helps.

The phone is suppose to switch to the palm logo because it is rebooting to prepare for the doctor but fails when loading the data so it goes into an infinite loop cycle.

The link above gives you a last resort if you wish to do that.

You can try an earier doctor also which can be found on some torrent sites. I'd recommend 1.2.1
  14.    #14  
    i have tried a different computer and cable with the same result and now i am out of different hardware setups. I would like to give 1.2 a try, but have not been able to find it. I'd appreciate it if you could give me a pointer on where to find it
    on the webos-internals website they have every doctor available.

EDIT: heres a link. Only use a doctor made for your carrier.

EDIT2: never mind it says only the current version is available.
    Did you get my PM?
  17.    #17  
    And where would i go to get this majestic and popular version?
  18.    #18  
    your right and i still don't get it. you gotta have a bit of compassion for us more sheltered types.

And BTW i might have done a bit of overclocking with the uberkernal and govornah

did u get my PM?
    Last edited by stan.forums; 06/06/2010 at 11:12 AM.
    sorry to bump old thread, but was this problem ever fixed? my cousin has the same exact problem.
  20.    #20  
    Since i posted this, i revived the pre used it for some months and then the touch screen decided to go cujo - it's like some phantom is pressing on the screen. Sometimes it's so bad that it looks like it's raining on the thing.

Anyway in answer to your question, i had to look around to get an old version of the doctor. It seems as though somehow the boot loader got fried and only the older doctors reinstall the boot loader. I first had to bring up the pre with an old version and then doctor with 1.45.

I hope this helps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast