Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Right, this thread really isn't requesting help. Just meant as an informative peice about o2 and, more specifically, it's repair.

So, On Thursday 11th March, my Palm Pre developed a fault with the Power button (wouldn't press down) and the headphones jack was worn (due to a lot of use I expect). That very same day, I took it to my o2 store in Lincoln and they were happy to book it in and send it to repair with the faults.
    1 week later (Thursday 18th March), I received my Palm Pre back from repair. I opened the box whilst I was instore to find that my Palm Pre had a rather large crack on the screen to which the o2 staff were very confused about as it didn't have one when I sent it off. However, the power button was working again and I didn't have a chance to check the headphone jack. Being that as it may, I had no choice but to send it off again on the same day.
    I asked a friend at o2 to check my phones repair status and he says that I probably won't get my phone back until Monday 5th April at least for some reason or other.
    Fortunately, I ended up getting my phone back on Saturday 3rd April with a brand new screen but all the old parts. But still, that's 3 weeks and 2 days without my phone.

I made a complaint to o2 about this and, whilst they have no compensation system, they gave me 10 off my bill as a good-will gesture (which I was... okay about).

Anyway, everything was great until Wednesday 26th May. I was waiting at the bus stop and then when I slid my phone up, it got jammed. I tried to slide it down again and it got jammed again. I tried it repeatedly until i realised that behind the screen, stuck, there was a tiny screw. I managed to get it out by lifting the screen and saved it. It worried me that my phone was falling to bits. Nevertheless, I decided I'd take it to be looked at by the o2 store when I get time.
    Then on Saturday 29th May, I slid it up and then one just popped out with no trouble at all. Didn't jam or anything. Right onto the counter in my kitchen. THEN, I knew it was serious as I could lift the bottom half of the screen away from the device and I could see where the 2 screws were meant to be.
    So the next day I took it in and the guy at the store had actually remembered my name because I've been in so often. He said he remembers all the problems I've had with the phone and apologised repeatedly about it. He booked it in, along with the 2 screws, and said it would be sent on Tuesday 1st June (Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday had no postage of course).

However, he also said that if anything happens to this phone again, they can go down "other routes". Now, by other routes, one could only imagine it would mean that I could change to a different phone (Like the Palm Pre Plus maybe?) or get a brand new Palm Pre. But I'll definitely be probing him to find out what he means by "other routes".

Anyway, I'll keep you all updated. He did say 7-10 days from when they post it so between 8th and 11th June.

Hope some of you find this information useful
    1st of all let me say sorry 4 ur loss lol im quite lucky cus i haven't had a single problem with my pre and i got it xmas eve so 5 months with nothing wrong,although i do kind of treat my phone like a baby lol thers not a scratch on it i will keep ur problems in mind if i ever have 2 return my pre but hopefully i will not have 2 go down that "other route" lol

good luck with ur next refurb
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I bought mine on 16th October (what I've lovingly named "Pre Day") and between then and the day I had to send it back (11th March), I had zero problems.

Now, I've had to send my phone back to repair 3 times within 3 months. I put it down to shoddy repair work.

Anyway, I've still got the same serial number I started off with when I got my contract so technically I've had no replacements at all. However, If I can get a different phone, I don't think I'll be using a Pre again.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Pre, but I find it so unreliable. 3 repairs, under 3 months and I've not even had it for almost one of those months! Might have to go for an iPhone or HTC.
    Quote Originally Posted by weyyytictacs View Post
    Yeah, I bought mine on 16th October (what I've lovingly named "Pre Day") and between then and the day I had to send it back (11th March), I had zero problems.

Now, I've had to send my phone back to repair 3 times within 3 months. I put it down to shoddy repair work.

Anyway, I've still got the same serial number I started off with when I got my contract so technically I've had no replacements at all. However, If I can get a different phone, I don't think I'll be using a Pre again.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Pre, but I find it so unreliable. 3 repairs, under 3 months and I've not even had it for almost one of those months! Might have to go for an iPhone or HTC.
    ah, seems o2 repair services is worse than my insurances' repair crew.
    Currently in the process of a "similar spec-ed replacement handset" for my pre, what that means i dont know
    Quick question; Palm Repair center is located in the UK. Isn't that an option?
    They have DHL pick up your Pre, and you get it back within a week (and that's on mainland Europe).
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Quick question; Palm Repair center is located in the UK. Isn't that an option?
    They have DHL pick up your Pre, and you get it back within a week (and that's on mainland Europe).
    you mean me?
    if so, my insurance company only uses their guys :S
    So now they are sending a replacement device, but i dont know what it would be, it should be "similar spec", but i dont know what phone would fall into that
    I've just sent my Pre back for repair as the mic has stopped working. I called O2 who wanted me to take it in to a store as that is how I bought it originally. I explained that it was inconvenient and they agreed to do it online. They gave me the details about where to send it and said it would take up to 5 working days from receipt.

Hopefully I will have more luck than you did.
  8.    #8  
    Right! I got a call this morning (whilst I was in London the day after the Rage Against The Machine gig and 150 miles from home) on my mobile phone telling me my "Replacement Palm Pre" had been received which made me very surprised.

I went to the o2 store back home and they handed me a box with a brand new in box Palm Pre! I was extremely happy. It came with a letter that basically said that the aim is to send the original phone with the repairs done. But because of the nature of the problem, they decided it would take too long to repair and decided to send me a new one! I was very happy.

I inserted my SIM and logged into my Palm Profile and everything was fine except the phone was only on WebOS 1.1.2 which means some apps that require higher WebOS versions weren't installed again. But hey, I'm home now, on WiFi and I'm currently installing the update which currently seems to be at 75%. 150-60mb download. Oh, as I'm talking, the phone has just restarted, "Installing device driver software" has appeared on my PC and the Palm splash is now pulsating. and it now says it's updating the system again. Very quickly though.

Anyway, they still said that if I have a problem with this phone again (even though it was a BNIB replacement), I can swap to a different phone on their "list". But I don't see anything else happening again. Lets hope this is the last repair.

Anyway, it all seems fine so I'm going to leave this all from here.

Have a good day. And I hope some of you learn from my experience
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    3 repairs and now on my 2nd Pre... supposedly new but the seal on the box was burst.... replacement is just like the first; dropping calls all the time when in 3G with 3 bars of signal strength, signal strength its self constantly fluctuates, OS keeps freezing up, loosing network time, email fails to deliver or pull at times in 3G between 1 and 2bars signal strength. Google comes up in German, at times sound crackles and fizzes on a call... list goes on.... fed up and want to move on but was offered crap alternative phones. HTC HD2, Samsung Jet, Samsung I7500 Galaxy and Toshiba TG01.... all were slightly older than the pre ie released earlier.... and no these would not be new phones... returns or refurbs!

P.S even the replacement pre's are not new... they are most likely returns and refurbs.... O2 contract says after first 28 days they will replace ALL faulty handset with returns or refurbs regardless.

FYI. If they tell you they are contacting Escalation Dept after the third time your phone needs repair (at which point you are entitled to a diff model) and fill out an Escalation Form instore don't get excited its just an email to their Area Manager from what i gathered... and he makes up the "list" of alternative handsets to choose from. They won't offer you a plus as "its just out" despite having pulled the non-pre-plus out of all stores now... don't even think about trying for any other more recent phone like the Desire... they will laugh at you....

IMHO as nice as it is (and I love WebOS and Pre form factor), Palm Pre is dead in UK... with the Desire out and the Iphone 4 on its way Palm won't be able to sell the plus here..... so maybe I'll hang on and make a lot of noise and hopefully get the plus as a replacement before leaving.... failing that I only have another 10mths left of my contract anyway and then I can say cheerio to O2..... they are absolutely terrible... Orange has a much better customer service.... O2 online are not at all helpful if you made an in store purchase. I'm still waiting for instore to call me back since last Friday.......... O2 suck or have I said that already??
    Last edited by Taigerr; 06/08/2010 at 06:57 PM.
    Right i am now on my 3rd pre in just over a week!

Today i noticed what i thought was a scratch on the bottom of the screen which i thought was a bit strange as i had a screen protester on it. I then a bit after started to notice that the touch screen started to be very un responsive. Then i noticed that there was a big scratch going from the bottom and curved to the middle of the phone which turns out to be a crack which must be related to the touch screen not working. Getting fed up with it now. I am looking at buying out my contract and then moving somewhere else.

O2 reckon that the Blackberry 9700 is a fair replacement for it?
    i was offered a htc hd2, which i took, should arrive at the end of this week, hopefully.

Blackberry 9700 is the top of the range BB, however its pretty poor in terms of features, but its supposed to be good, just old school software.

By the way SHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhh! if the moderators see these posts they will just add it to the "complaints" thread........

saying anything bad against the pre is forbidden, similar to Taliban rule i guess :P
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Been offered ANOTHER basic refurbed/returned pre.... and credit toward my bill as goodwill gesture.... not happy... really hoped for the plus at least.... roll on 10mths then freedom.... back to orange I think.... better customer services and talk plans and they call you every 3 mths and recommend more cost effective talk plans based on your usage.... wish I'd never left..... that said I get to have a Pre with HSC 3.0 and i like people asking what kinda phone is that.... but that said & given my experience the handsets I've had leave me to seriously question palms QC.... as for O2.... just useless......
    my pre is getting sent to the palm head office in england tomorrow...since ive sent it to palm 3 times now...hoping for a new pre..if not a plus, making the argument that if it was with o2 they would let me get a brand new phone such as the pre plus after the 3rd repair.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    ..... making the argument that if it was with o2 they would let me get a brand new phone such as the pre plus after the 3rd repair.

Ummm..... I've been here with O2 repair process.... they will only give you a new handset if you have issues within 28 days of signing contract.... after that its will always be a refurb or returned unit you'll get i.e one someone has returned before the 28 day period (for whatever reason including just not liking the phone).... but the phone you get will always be used at this point.

Forget getting the plus or even a 3GS.... Plus is "just out" as per the shop assistant... Any phone you get will be a return and be something released around about the time Pre was released or slightly earlier.... forget about getting a 3GS as they are rarely returned and their resale value is much higher about 150 on O2 Recycle as opposed to Pre which is valued at 58.00.... google O2 recycle...

But things maybe different for you and i hope you do get a Plus but its a long shot....

BTW after you get a repalacement handset its three repairs again before another replacement is offered..... contract is pretty tight...
    Last edited by Taigerr; 06/10/2010 at 03:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Basically O2 will just keep replacing your Pre with a used Pre (have loads of returned units I believe) at least until people buy and return the Plus's... thing is who is going to buy the plus now that Vivaz and Desire are out and iphone 4 is just around the corner??

O2 reps are not pushing Palm sales cos of the returns issues according to a rep in another store.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Taigerr View Post
    Ummm..... I've been here with O2 repair process.... they will only give you a new handset if you have issues within 28 days of signing contract.... after that its will always be a refurb or returned unit you'll get i.e one someone has returned before the 28 day period (for whatever reason including just not liking the phone).... but the phone you get will always be used at this point.

Forget getting the plus or even a 3GS.... Plus is "just out" as per the shop assistant... Any phone you get will be a return and be something released around about the time Pre was released or slightly earlier.... forget about getting a 3GS as they are rarely returned and their resale value is much higher about 150 on O2 Recycle as opposed to Pre which is valued at 58.00.... google O2 recycle...

But things maybe different for you and i hope you do get a Plus but its a long shot....

BTW after you get a repalacement handset its three repairs again before another replacement is offered..... contract is pretty tight...
    Well..if Palm give me a new pre, not a refurb, and it has no issues, i will be happy, i know the plus is a long shot.
    If i did end up going to o2 if palm sent me a refurb, the pre was bought on my dad's contract, he gets a lot of perks with o2, i mean they wernt gonna give him the pre so cheap with 4 or so boltons..but when we threatened to leave.... I've realized being with on the phone to retentions gets you anything you want i remember strictly them saying on the phone 2 or 3 times, 3 replacements with refurbs and you get a new phone. At minimum i should get a new pre.

We'll see though.. UPS should be comming round soon, nice of palm to pay for shipping..after i've spent 20 on the other 3 shippings...
    Last edited by kel101; 06/10/2010 at 03:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    sorry to hear about your experience. I intentionally took out a business contract to stop this sort of thing happening (these are available to anyone even if you dont have a business) as you get your handset replaced within 24 hours by courier if it develops a fault. In days gone by having your handset away for 3-4 weeks was crap but you could get by with an old handset but in the days of smart phones its no good at all, particularly if you use your features daily and rely on them. Ive had mine replaced twice now, both times with it developing a problem with the headset jack.

Ive just given up on my palm pre, my partner still has one which is why im still loitering in the forums but I was recently away and needed to use google maps and unless I had a full strength 3g signal I just kept getting the "no internet connection" screen, this went on for a good 20 minutes after multiple reboots and having to drive around to get a better signal (gprs or edge was a no go....). Adding this to all the other niggles and seemingly no light at the end of the tunnel in regards to fixes and more useful apps Ive took an extra line out on my contract (12 per month) and bought a htc desire, even though its put me out of pocket I just felt I was using a "dumb" phone with a few extra features.
    Im not saying ill never come back to webos as its so slick and has so much potential, but as of now it just cant compete, android may not be as slick but its certainly more advanced in my opinion and everything just works.

As for the ops "other routes" thing o2 will replace your handset after 3 repairs for a refurb, which sucks imo as I once had a similar fault to you where the phone kept being returned broken and i ended up being without it for 6 weeks. I certainly wouldnt go for blackberry, ive got one and as functional as it is, moving to bb from webos is like stepping back in time. Retentions is the way forward, even if your not at the end of your contract, if your nearing just ask for your pac code and offer to pay up the remaining line rental to get out of your contract. 9/10 representatives will try and keep your business and offer you something to stay

by the way, the desire rocks and I now have useable satnav/googlemaps which really is a godsend.
    Is the HTC HD2 a fair replacement? They have offered me this along with the Pixi with NO WIFI thus not the Pixi Plus some Nokia phone. Now the HTC HD2 is Windows mobile which is a big no no.

I have also been told that they will no longer be replacing a Pre with a Pre due to so many returns. I would want the HTC Desire
    My Pre came back repaired after just 6 days. All is well with it. All very efficient.
    Quote Originally Posted by weyyytictacs View Post
    Right! I got a call this morning (whilst I was in London the day after the Rage Against The Machine gig and 150 miles from home) on my mobile phone telling me my "Replacement Palm Pre" had been received which made me very surprised.

I went to the o2 store back home and they handed me a box with a brand new in box Palm Pre! I was extremely happy. It came with a letter that basically said that the aim is to send the original phone with the repairs done. But because of the nature of the problem, they decided it would take too long to repair and decided to send me a new one! I was very happy.

I inserted my SIM and logged into my Palm Profile and everything was fine except the phone was only on WebOS 1.1.2 which means some apps that require higher WebOS versions weren't installed again. But hey, I'm home now, on WiFi and I'm currently installing the update which currently seems to be at 75%. 150-60mb download. Oh, as I'm talking, the phone has just restarted, "Installing device driver software" has appeared on my PC and the Palm splash is now pulsating. and it now says it's updating the system again. Very quickly though.

Anyway, they still said that if I have a problem with this phone again (even though it was a BNIB replacement), I can swap to a different phone on their "list". But I don't see anything else happening again. Lets hope this is the last repair.

Anyway, it all seems fine so I'm going to leave this all from here.

Have a good day. And I hope some of you learn from my experience
    i was also sent a brand new pre after taking my phone back into the o2 store for repair less than 30 days since id received it back from a previous repair. Was very pleased overall.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast