View Poll Results: How many replacements?

Voters
601. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 (Luck)

279 46.42%

92 15.31%

52 8.65%

58 9.65%

45 7.49%

31 5.16%
  • 6+

44 7.32%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I'm still on my 1st Pre. Got it on June 9, 2009.

I'll admit it's fragile and Palm should have raised the specs on 'drop-ability.' My Treos were tanks! Would love to have that quality in the Pre shell.

But, I've recognized the fragility and been protective of it.

Fortunately, I've not had any of the commonly reported problems i.e. dead pixels, dead ear piece...
    The Pre defect rate is now at 161%.

- Craig
    Im on my 3rd... this one's really solid though, so i think its gonna be good for the duration.
    VZW Palm Pre Plus User...
    Changed the thread title to reflect the question being asked in the opening post.
    Still on my launch day Sprint pre. 0 lucky??? I have dropped my pre 100 times with no problems. I do believe that some people had problems, but I hardly would believe that 0 is "lucky" going by your poll results. I also have 2 other pre's and my son had to have his returned twice because of stuff he did (not the phones fault) and my wifes is still going strong since August.

There may also be certain people that just want a new phone every so often, so they find a reason to return it (JMO).
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    I'm about a month into VZW service now. I got my first Pre Plus replaced two weeks after I got it due to a stuck pixel. Happens.

For the time I've had them, the two phones are performing like champs. We'll see in a few weeks if that changes.
    Interestingly, I finally brought my launch day Pre to Palm for a replacement (there was mild oreo, but the headphone jack began giving me intermittant static) and when I got my replacement and typed ##786# - brand spanking new phone with build date 5/1/10. Was pleased as punch
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    There may also be certain people that just want a new phone every so often, so they find a reason to return it (JMO).
    It is pretty much a nightmare replacing a smartphone.

• Spend an hour on the phone being transfered back and forth.
    • Pay the $100 insurance deductible.
    • Be without a phone for a while.
    • Get the new phone and find not all your contacts and calendar transferred.
    • Reapply all your patches and reinstall all the Homebrew apps.
    • Reset up the passwords for the WiFi at home, work, etc.
    • Reinitialize your car Bluetooth.
    • Try to remember all of the bookmarks that you have lost in the browser.
    • Realize you lost all of your message threads and some important notes.

NotAPhoneGeek, if you had ever done this, you would never want to do it again. It is a couple days you never will get back.

And now you have some refurb that someone else returned.

This is like an old army joke. The Sargent comes down to the foxholes and says he has good and bad news. The good new is that you are all about to get a change of underwear. The bad news is that you are going to change with each other.

I wonder who got my old underwear.

- Craig
    I agree with notaphonegeek, though I wish I didn't. There are those that just want a new phone.

I completely agree with milomindbender. Swapping phones is a nightmare. Except for one replacement through Assurion, which still cost me $100 and time reloading and reconfiguring, I've put in 2-4 hours at the Sprint store PER replacement for 8 out of 9 replacements. That's between 18 and 36 hours just to get the replacements, plus all the time re-rooting, re-patching, re-CPU Scaling and/or re-overclocking etc. I still have to deal with the 45 minutes or more that I will spend at the Sprint store when my 9th replacement actually arrives. I will have to wait in line for a tech, then go home and put all my stuff back on etc.

I love WebOS and I used to think I would just let Sprint swap my phone each time it failed, in order to stay on the Pre. But I am supremely tired of the failed hardware and all the time involved. If number 9 has any noticeable problems out of the box (i.e., Oreo effect, stress cracks under the screen etc.), or it doesn't last (and, at this point, I have no confidence that it will), I'm not sure I can go to Pre number 10. I have been offered a Pixi or a Samsung Moment, but both, to me, are a definite step down from the Pre (even though the Pixi is WebOS).

Would the Pre community forgive me if I left? I would definitely come back as soon as there was something worth coming back for. But maybe I cold tough it out with an Evo for while, as long as it just keeps running and saves me a bunch of wasted time.

It's ridiculous, by the way, to be in a co-dependent relationship with a phone manufacturer.

And one last thing... I get the underwear reference, but cell phones seem to be the only place where refurbs are consistently bad. Computers, stereo equipment, iPods etc all are great as refurbs and cost a LOT less. But, I understand the feeling that we bought new, we are paying $7 a month, and, in some cases $100 deductible, we should get brand new as a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post

• Spend an hour on the phone being transfered back and forth.
    • Pay the $100 insurance deductible.
    • Be without a phone for a while.
    • Get the new phone and find not all your contacts and calendar transferred.
    • Reapply all your patches and reinstall all the Homebrew apps.
    • Reset up the passwords for the WiFi at home, work, etc.
    • Reinitialize your car Bluetooth.
    • Try to remember all of the bookmarks that you have lost in the browser.
    • Realize you lost all of your message threads and some important notes.

NotAPhoneGeek, if you had ever done this, you would never want to do it again. It is a couple days you never will get back.

This is like an old army joke. The Sargent comes down to the foxholes and says he has good and bad news. The good new is that you are all about to get a change of underwear. The bad news is that you are going to change with each other.

- Craig
    Last edited by pelikan3; 06/11/2010 at 12:24 AM.
    My speaker keeps blowing out and I use the supplied ear buds to listen to music. I also keep the ringer volume down a couple of bars from full just in case.
    I really wonder what is the cause for the great disparity between phones and owners. I am on my second since Oct '09 which my July 7th Pre had the touchscreen go out (though it was *right* after I dropped it on my tile floor for the umpteenth time. Was otherwise perfect.
    I personally know 17 other Pre's and only 1 had been replaced due to extreme issues with the battery (phone dead in 1.5 hours) and his 2nd has been fine to date. The other replacement was my friend who upon getting his Pre said "I think this one has oreo" when in actuality it had the "normal" 1mm wiggle that any sliding devices needs to actually be able to move, and so he proceeded to twist it until he DID give it a 4mm oreo wiggle. Note: this is the same guy upon buying a Saturn SC2 said to me "Hey, these cars have plastic doors that don't dent, watch.." and he proceeded to kick the car door.....putting a nice dent in it that he had to get fixed!

I have not seen this oreo on any of the Pre's I know and based on the supposed high rates, for sure 1 in 17 would have it no?

(if your desk has a sliding keyboard tray, grab it and it will "wiggle" a little from side to side, it has to otherwise you couldn't slide it at all. You can wiggle a Droid as well, does that have oreo too?? )
    I'm on my launch day Pre.

I love saying that.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    I voted 3, but i am currently still using my first. I have a couple yellow'ish spots on the bottom of my screen, so i went in and they ordered me a new phone. It got here on Mon. I took it out of the box and noticed right away that the USB cover was sticking out a little. I tried to push it in and no go. Its sticking out a good bit and probably only a matter of time before it breaks off. I hated to be picky, but i don't want a phone that already has a problem before i ever turn it on. So i called and without a question, they sent me another Pre and said to just send both back together once i get the new one. Yesterday rolls around, i get the box, open, and low and behold, the same exact issue with the little USB cover. This time way worse. It wont even start to go in. Almost like its the wrong size. Again, i hate to be picky, but same thing goes. I am going to take all 3 phones to my Verizon store today and see what i can get done. I am hoping they just give me one they have in stock, but probably not going to happen. We shall see, and i will update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    please explain more about the one with the sherrif. Kinda sound like an episode of Friends. The others... Meh.

please tell us more!
    Pulled over. Was passenger in work vehicle. Driver had marijauna joint in his cigerette pack.

Officers (undercover Pembroke Pines/Broward Sheriff in plain clothes, 2002 minivan) decided to rip the vehicle apart, and interrogate people @ gunpoint. After about 45 minutes of this, and my phone ringing off the hook, the officer placed my phone in his pocket, & arrested four people in the vehicle for Misd. Possession of Marijuana.

For 1 joint. I fought and won the case. I fired the employee, although my excuse was for having drugs on my jobsite, the real reason is because he got my Pre taken.

In my trade, (hurricane windows/construction) many people do drugs & drink (off clock) and that's their perogative, but when a Pre comes up missing, it's time for some heads to roll.
    Will be 3. The first one was replaced when the microphone stopped working. My second one (which I have now until my 3rd comes in) was given to me from Bell with a borked external speaker which I didn't realize until I got home. The 3rd one will be tested thoroughly before I even leave the store.
    UPDATE: Current Pre Defect Rate: 147%

So far this is 261 replacements of 177 units.
    Code:

Replace	Count	%	Total	
    0	79	45%	79	
    1	36	20%	72	
    2	16	9%	48	
    3	16	9%	64	
    4	14	8%	70	
    5	7	4%	42	
    6	9	5%	63	
    	177		438
    Again the goal is for a defect rate to be under 5% and ideally under a 3%.

A couple of factors are skewing the numbers. We know that a lot of people who had a bad first, second, or third Pre demanded to go back to their old phones or get a different phone. So none of those are here. Also, the 6 category is really 6+ so there are 7's, 8's, 9's, and even a 10 as people have reported.

I hope we can hear from more who have had their Pre's from Launch Day. Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

- Craig
    Wow... I am surprised... Yet not too surprised at the numbers.

I havent been keeping up with palm stuff as much but I would have thought after released with Verizon that they would have tweaked the hardware since initial launch and would have been better.

I mean, I had a similar posts/polls in the past when the pre came out and the numbers were concerning and I think it came down to about 40% of voters had exchanged at least once. I had actually done a second poll after some time to get fresh numbers and was about the same.

In this poll (even though it could have been done a little better), it looks worst saying only 40% still on their first?!

I've said this before and I think this really shows that bottom line... even after they have made design changes since beginning for verizon... the hardware design of the pre just stinks... the angled slide up, the curved one piece face shell, the cheap plastic... all looks good in concept and gets the ooos and aaaahs... but come time to make it... a manufacturing nightmare.

Definitely dont see posts like this on the PIXI section.

I can't imagine (I really hope) they will keep this design in gen2.

Code:

Replace	Count	%	Total	
    0	79	45%	79	
    1	36	20%	72	
    2	16	9%	48	
    3	16	9%	64	
    4	14	8%	70	
    5	7	4%	42	
    6	9	5%	63	
    	177		438

A couple of factors are skewing the numbers. We know that a lot of people who had a bad first, second, or third Pre demanded to go back to their old phones or get a different phone. So none of those are here. Also, the 6 category is really 6+ so there are 7's, 8's, 9's, and even a 10 as people have reported.

I hope we can hear from more who have had their Pre's from Launch Day. Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

- Craig
    does sprint refurb the refurb? that would be a sick thought...

60% of people exchanging phones and what percent getting a refurbed-refurbed that's been just refurbed-refurbed?

Code:

Replace	Count	%	Total	
    0	79	45%	79	
    1	36	20%	72	
    2	16	9%	48	
    3	16	9%	64	
    4	14	8%	70	
    5	7	4%	42	
    6	9	5%	63	
    	177		438

- Craig
    I agree, I had to return my son's phone twice, but my experience wasn't quite as bad as yours. In fact, even though it was his fault Sprint still replaced them for free without the 100 dollar deductible

Spend an hour on the phone being transfered back and forth. True
    Pay the $100 insurance deductible. If you know how to do it right you can avoid the fee (I did)
    Be without a phone for a while. Maybe for some, but I have plenty of old phones around the house.
    Get the new phone and find not all your contacts and calendar transferred. The Palm profile worked perfect for my son, and even if it didn't, we have all contacts stored on the pc.
    Reapply all your patches and reinstall all the Homebrew apps. For someone that's truly not a phone geek, preware is very simple and I had zero problems. In fact it got easier each time.
    Reset up the passwords for the WiFi at home, work, etc. Very simple (2 min.)
    Reinitialize your car Bluetooth. Not applicable
    Try to remember all of the bookmarks that you have lost in the browser. LOL for my son? FB, Myspace
    Realize you lost all of your message threads and some important notes. Not applicable
    I have to disagree ( respectfully), the whole process was actually quite easy, the worst part was (like you said) spending an hour on the phone with Sprint.

Yes, but is a new phone that has been reconditioned. Like I said in my previous post, it's just my opinion but I do know a couple of people that will return a phone just to get a new one (or refurbished) every couple of months just to make sure their phones in top shape.

- Craig
    That is a funny analogy, but a little misleading. No, I would not like to get your old underwear, but if it was washed and cleaned to a virtually new state (and I didn't know about it ) I wouldn't think about it. LOL, I would only freak out if the underwear had streaks!

Thanks Craig,

Mark
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    Still on my launch day Pre.. Only doctor it once. Through all the themes and patches and drops and throwing it when I'm mad with at my girl. It's been a good ride. Don't plan on getting a new one only for the next webos phone!

And I still Have my screen protector I put on in july which got serious orange peel. I got more screen protectors just to lazy to add a new one. So my screen probably still looks brand new !
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast