View Poll Results: How many replacements?

Voters
601. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 (Luck)

279 46.42%

92 15.31%

52 8.65%

58 9.65%

45 7.49%

31 5.16%
  • 6+

44 7.32%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Just picked up my 4th today:

1) power button
    2) cracked usb (spread across the screen)
    3) proximity sensor did not work
    Seems to be a lot of "lucky" people. Doesn't that in turn discount the fact that is is luck after all...
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    On my 2nd Pre for about 9 months now and still running great. None of the problems with hardware or software. I do have a crack on the bottom from a drop to concrete. I would still be on my Launch Day Pre except for a trigger happy Sprint rep. The lower corners of the display looked like they were peeling away internally when it was off, but still looked perfect with the display on. But the refurb I was provided has been superb! Can't wait for next gen!
    On my 2nd Pre. First one had a busted power button and repeating key syndrome.

My current one is about to go in too.. 3 days ago, the power button on this one stopped clicking. However i can still turn the phone on/off by pressing it hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Seems to be a lot of "lucky" people. Doesn't that in turn discount the fact that is is luck after all...
    +1

my wife and I both got ours the first week sprint had them. Neither have been replaced and I would say that I am very hard on phones. For example, not only have I dropped it many many times but every now and then I have to take off the back just to get the sand out of it. It's in my pocket wherever I go - I use it to log my runs, I use it to create tracks of hikes, I use it all the time. My wife uses it every day - it play an essential role in her work. We are both very lucky.
    First and only Pre -- getting ready to celebrate 1st anniversary in 3 days.

Lucky? I always hope for luck, but I think that my experience is fairly typical.
    My 6th Pre:
    1. New (original release day Pre): Really bad oreo & volume up stopped working. Replaced on 6/20/09
    2. New: Bad OTA update, Pre wouldn't boot. (This was before I - and Sprint apparently - knew about the volume up feature of the bootloader to allow for WebOS doctor to resolve.) Replaced on 7/25/09
    3. New: Don't remember why I eventually replaced this one or when it happened
    4. Refurb: Screen started bubbling. Forum post here. Replaced on 10/28/09:
    5. Refurb: Screen light leakage around bottom of screen (near gesture area) and along right side of screen - especially near usb port. Replaced on 11/14/09
    6. New: My current Pre. So far no hardware problems to speak of.

It's really hard to remember the exact dates.

As an aside, my son is on his 5th Pixi. 3 of the 4 replacements were a result of the silent/ringer switch getting stuck in silent mode. The other replacement was because the audio processor put these weird high pitched squeaks into all audio played (whether through head phones or speaker). That was a really weird issue.

His last pixi has been really quite stable despite his hopes that it, too will eventually fail. The Sprint folks mentioned if the failure happened again, they'd upgrade him to a Pre. Which is what he wants.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Every time someone posts that they are leaving, they get bashed. It doesn't matter why. It just matters that they are abandoning the gospel of WebOS.

I love WebOS. I decided a while back that it, and the design of the Pre, were so superior to anything else out there (even POSSIBLY the EVO), that I would rather just keep getting replacements in order to keep the phone that I love.

But, I am tired. Tired of re-rooting and recreating my customized Pre. Tired of re-Ubering and re-Govnah-ing, and reloading all my Homebrew apps. Tired of waiting for a perfectly good phone that is well cared for to just spontaneously brick, have buttons fail, form stress fractures, overheat, short out, you name it.

Today I let Sprint order Pre number 9 (NINE) for me. Over the weekend, my phone slipped out of my belt at my desk and fell a mere foot and a half (maybe) to the floor and got a crack in the top edge. It's ridiculous that it can't hold up to that small a drop. I've dropped my Treo's on concrete, kicked them for distance and had nary a scratch, let alone any kind of crack. But I put a sealant in it, and was going to epoxy later. But today, I noticed the tell-tale stress fracture at the USB port, which is heading towards the screen. As a known issue, they have ordered me a new phone.

So... when IS enough enough? This isn't about picky stuff, these are all product failures that have lead to me exchanging my Pre 9 times. Should there be a 10th? Because I don't expect the next one to last more than a month or so. Is it time to call customer service and argue for an Evo? I don't really want one, but it's the only thing they have that comes close.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Woah. I actually made it to 10. One of which involved a Broward Sheriff Deputy stealing one, the other 9 were hardware warranty. Mostly the (5) had to do with the charging port...
    please explain more about the one with the sherrif. Kinda sound like an episode of Friends. The others... Meh.

please tell us more!
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    So... when IS enough enough? This isn't about picky stuff, these are all product failures that have lead to me exchanging my Pre 9 times. Should there be a 10th? Because I don't expect the next one to last more than a month or so. Is it time to call customer service and argue for an Evo? I don't really want one, but it's the only thing they have that comes close.
    What has all your replacements been for? Also please don't count replacements you never own, if you never leave the store with it..it's not a replacement. Sometimes (not necessarily saying your case) devices are often replaced for issues in which a replacement is not warranted.

Also if you drop the phone and it gets a crack you should be liable. Doesn't matter if the phone "should" be able to withstand the damage, the damage was caused by an action that you did you should be liable, not necessarily the company.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    9 months and still on my first,and still is as good as new.
    1 and that was because of a stuck pixel in the middle of the screen which can happen with any LCD screen so I hardly blame palm for that.
    I'm still on my launch day Pre. A crack has just started on the corner of the USB port. So far it's not getting bigger, but we'll see. Now that I'm outside the warranty period, I supposed I'll be paying if I need a replacement. So I'll hold out as long as I can. Maybe there will be new hardware in a few months? I can hope, right?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    What has all your replacements been for? Also please don't count replacements you never own, if you never leave the store with it..it's not a replacement. Sometimes (not necessarily saying your case) devices are often replaced for issues in which a replacement is not warranted.

Also if you drop the phone and it gets a crack you should be liable. Doesn't matter if the phone "should" be able to withstand the damage, the damage was caused by an action that you did you should be liable, not necessarily the company.
    O.K. first let me say, yes I understand about the "should be able to withstand damage" and I stand by that statement. But, the replacement is due to the crack in the USB port which was not due to any impact or any action against the case at the angle. It is also a know issue and the Sprint store is voluntarily replacing it. I didn't have to argue or even ask.

Now, let me see if I can recall.

Pre 1: Lasted a few weeks and bricked on one of the software updates. Even got the Sprint tech to try to WebOS Doctor and it didn't save it.

Pre 2: Terrible Oreo. But did not let that affect me! Overheated on the USB charger and the screen fried (all wacky orange and green).

Pre 3: Perfect in every way until I dropped it and dented the screen, so I paid my copay like a law abiding Sprint customer.

Pre 4: Came to me with stress cracks under the screen

Pre 5: Power button failed, slider short circuited

Pre 6: Locked up while loading music. Removed battery and it came up to the Palm screen and froze there. Doctored it 4 times. Process ran successfully but still could not get it past the Palm splash screen. Took it to the store the next day, they said they would order one and I said I could not leave without a phone.

Pre 7: Refurb. Terrible slider, terrible oreo effect, very poor response, configured for someone else but given to me (that alone was a story). Returned same day, insisted upon brand new one.

Pre 8: Brand new and perfect until last weekend. Stress crack in USB port heading towards screen.

Pre 9: On it's way. We'll see.

So, to be fair, one of the last 8 was my fault, so I've only had 7 Pre's that have failed.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    5th
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    Woah. I actually made it to 10. One of which involved a Broward Sheriff Deputy stealing one, the other 9 were hardware warranty. Mostly the (5) had to do with the charging port...
    I live in southern Palm Beach County...should I worry?...
    So far this is 246 replacements of 96 phones.

Code:
    Replace	Count	%	Total
    0	43	44.79%	43
    1	18	18.75%	36
    2	9	9.38%	27
    3	8	8.33%	32
    4	7	7.29%	35
    5	4	4.17%	24
    6	7		49
    	96		246
    That is over a 250% defect rate...

For every one unit sold they have had to deliver 2.5 products.

And as more people are responding the trend seems to be getting worse.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/09/2010 at 09:33 PM.
  19.    #39  
    Now soeone is going to come in and say "The recent ones are getting better!!!

Yea it only took over a year to get the phone to be reliable...
    Update:
    So far this is 271 replacements of 102 phones.
    Code:

Replace	Count		Units	
    0	43	0.4257	43	
    1	19	0.1881	38	
    2	10	0.0891	30	
    3	10	0.099	40	
    4	8	0.0792	40	
    5	4	0.0396	24	
    6	8	0.0792	56	
    	102		271
    Defect rate: 2.7 units delivered for every one unit sold.

The retail goal is under 5% and ideally under 3% defect rate.

Does this explain why Radio Shack and Best Buy no longer sell Pre's?

Note that as we get more responses the defect rate should drop dramatically.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 06/09/2010 at 10:06 PM.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast