Page 76 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2666717273747576777879808186126 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2953
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I posted this in the Palm forum, but they deleted it and threatened to ban me if I posted it again. But here's what I think. Palm had a roadmap, but HP blew a hole in it. That roadmap has nothing in it for HP. And the carriors have also been stuck as a result of Palms performance debacle. So now that there is deep pockets, HP wants a new self serving adjenda. Perfectly understandable. And the carriors also want in on a new adjenda to makeup for past performance losses. I think it does the corporates little good to continue to support the outdated PRE or PIXIE. I suspect there is going to be a push to get people to buy updated phones. I suspect they are furiously at work right now to come up with updated phones. Maybe not a total redesign, but new features squeezed in to get people spending money that lands in HPs hands. Why else would they still be giving away PREs for like a penny. And dont forget, HPs biggest concern is an IPAD rival so that is one of their top priorities along with their printer line redesign.

When you add all that up, I suspect the PRE and PIXIE line is pretty much dead. We will be lucky to get a 1.4.5 if only to be hooked into carrior specific annoyances. I woudn't be surprised if carriors were holding future suport hostage to HP for the releses of carrior specific updates. Apps will still trickle out, but I suspect enhanced versions of WebOS wont be compatible to the PREs. I highly doubt the PREs will ever live up to the potential that was hyped into these things. There simply is no money in it...
    Quote Originally Posted by stts View Post
    I posted this in the Palm forum, but they deleted it and threatened to ban me if I posted it again....
    Huh?? Unless you posted under another name...no idea what that means as it is a pretty generic post and there is no record of a deleted post.

If HP takes the new webOS devices in a new direction as far as screen resolution, there may be an issue with backwards compatibility. I'm not worried about that... I'm more interested in seeing HP rebuild developer interest (which looks like they are off to a good start).
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Huh?? Unless you posted under another name...no idea what that means as it is a pretty generic post and there is no record of a deleted post.
    Think he meant on the Palm site forums.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demlor View Post
    Think he meant on the Palm site forums.
    LOL... That makes sense! My mistake... thanks for clarifying! I can see why they wouldn't like that posted over there... good thing we aren't them
    Quote Originally Posted by junkTzu View Post
    I don't think you've debunked his theory at all. Palm has stated in their developer forums that that are releasing 1.4.5 as is, bug and all. They also said that the reason they're releasing the update with the bug is because a fix would cause the carriers to have to re-certify a new update and that several carriers would simply NOT release the update if they had to go through this process again. On top of that they have instructed app developers on how to work around this bug and have the ability to reject apps that will be susceptible to this bug so essentially the bug is a non issue at this point.

Also I'm not sure why people keep propagating this notion that 1.4.5 is a small update that hardly brings anything to the table. The fact is that this update brings some substantial changes behind the scenes, it's just not packed with flashy new features that are obvious to most users. There's also the fact that it will allow 3d gaming for Pixi owners which in it self is pretty major.

With all that being said, coupled with the fact that Sprint and Verizon's top selling phones are all android based, i don't believe it's a stretch at all to think that they are pushing the WebOS update to the side while they work on getting Android updates out the door. And on top of that from the very beginning AT&T has said that it would NOT roll out the 1.4.5 update right away regardless of what the other carriers are doing.

I would like to think that the US carriers are getting some sort of +.1 version or whatnot but there's not a lot of evidence to support that at this point.

Link to dev post about the 1.4.5 release here: Forums webOS • View topic - Alert: 1.4.5 Bug with Writing to /media/internal
    I hope we can end this discussion at this.... You FREAKIN amaze me and I LOL. Seriously I LOL hard, and I am not trying to be disrespectful, but this update is low priority at best for end users (other than maybe Pixi users and the new PDK app's haven't been anything ground breaking to this point for Pre users). As far as Palm telling app developers how to adjust their app to fix the bug..... that doesn't fix the carriers problem, this is dependent on first the dev making the fix, second the fix being approved timely into the app cat, and third the end user keeping their apps up to date (something a lot of people don't do). So yeah your "fix" isn't a fix for the carriers to take the hit on.....

You keep rockin your theory, that VZW and Sprint have had an update for over 2 months and now are delaying to update Android phones (maybe you should, or already do own an Android and are just trolling).

I would love for you to actually re-read my post and explain to me how this update (or lack of update) would ever push the average (mass majority) consumer to give up a phone they laid down $150+ on (and if they didn't lay down more than $150 they aren't even in upgrade range on Sprint) to pay another couple bills for another brand new phone. The mass retail market just doesn't work like that.

At this point, bring some REAL fact or just give it up. Retail doesn't work that way..... ohhh yeah and carriers make money by keeping subscribers, not by selling newer phones that they are still subsidizing. The carrier really doesn't care what phone you own, if you continue paying and keep a phone for 5 years they make more money than you upgrading every year (the carrier is the one paying for you to be able to get the "new contract" price). You clearly don't understand what you are talking about.... Thanks.
    Okay folks, let's keep the focus of debate on the topic, not on the people debating the topic. Thanks.
    I cannot view the 1.4.5 anticipation thread, so i thought I would post it here...

Does anybody know what happened to 1.4.5?

The last I heard Palm gave it to the carriers. Sprint is usually pretty good about getting it and giving it to the customer relatively quickly. Is it possible they shoved it back to Palm and said it's buggy?

At this rate WebOS 2 will arrive to our phones before 1.4.5. If it takes this long for what is supposedly minor fixes then I will hate to see what happens when WebOS 2 arrives.
    Thanks. I was using Firefox and that page comes up just blank, even though all other threads appear. After your post I tried it in IE and it worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRob94 View Post
    I cannot view the 1.4.5 anticipation thread, so i thought I would post it here...

Does anybody know what happened to 1.4.5?

The last I heard Palm gave it to the carriers. Sprint is usually pretty good about getting it and giving it to the customer relatively quickly. Is it possible they shoved it back to Palm and said it's buggy?

At this rate WebOS 2 will arrive to our phones before 1.4.5. If it takes this long for what is supposedly minor fixes then I will hate to see what happens when WebOS 2 arrives.
    I hear that if you have 1.4.5, then you should have no issues viewing this thread.
    Im starting to get confused... Its not out for american users is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Im starting to get confused... Its not out for american users is it?
    Nope, no U.S carriers at all yet.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_C3 View Post
    Why would an update drive away customers? And who would jump ship because of a update with a known bug? I'm not seeing the logic. I think the carriers wanted the issue fixed before they released it.
    Stop making sense. You're using too much logic.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    PM sent
    Thanks, man!
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Here is proof that he has webOS 2.0...

http://forums.precentral.net/2582912-post1480.html
    Not proof, you just edit a file, change a string, restart Luna and you can make the Device info screen show whichever version you want
    okay this is random but i really need help, i got preware and end the gba emulator running and i got games for the gba emulator but when i click to launch the roms on my gba emulator my phone resets anyone know what to do>
    Quote Originally Posted by kirsch View Post
    okay this is random but i really need help, i got preware and end the gba emulator running and i got games for the gba emulator but when i click to launch the roms on my gba emulator my phone resets anyone know what to do>
    Visualboy Advance doesn't work on 1.4.5 (yet). Sorry
    sigh... maybe sometime in august we'll get it. hopefully
    Quote Originally Posted by louis6279 View Post
    sigh... maybe sometime in august we'll get it. hopefully
    You're not going to get it. US will not get 1.4.5. It's pretty obvious. You'll either be waiting weeks for 1.4.5.1 to be certified by US carriers or you will wait for 1.5 and guess what, Palm nor the carriers won't say CRAP about it! So happy patience for another month+.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    You're not going to get it. US will not get 1.4.5. It's pretty obvious. You'll either be waiting weeks for 1.4.5.1 to be certified by US carriers or you will wait for 1.5 and guess what, Palm nor the carriers won't say CRAP about it! So happy patience for another month+.
    You never know actually we could be waiting for 2.0
    Which isn't that bad if you think about it, 1.4.5 just fixed some bugs and allowed 3D games for Pixi.
    2.0 is a whole different system, all sorts of neat stuff are 'expected' for it.

I don't know why people are getting so upset, it's not that big of a deal.
    At least Palm was saved by HP, if that wasn't the case there probably wouldn't even be a 2.0 release in the future.
    So relax
    Big things are poppin', little things are stoppin'