Page 75 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2565707172737475767778798085125 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 2953
    I say that because its all hands on deck for android phones. No rush for 10 pre users left on Sprint.
    My suspicion is that they are holding up 1.4.5 as a vendetta against me personally.

At least that's what the voices in my head told me...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    My suspicion is that they are holding up 1.4.5 as a vendetta against me personally.

NO!
    The voices in your head told ME that.

If you played those voices into a phone with voice dialing... what number would it call?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    1.4.5 will have apps jailed and pdk apps working and released...so it's pretty important to some. None of the new games released will show in the app catalog for people on 1.4.1.

I think they are finding more bugs as new apps come to market and are ported over from iOS with 1.4.5, and want to address them before releasing in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I really suspect three unnamed major competitors consipred together (one of the few times they could work together) with a certain large unnamed country in Asia to replace BIOS chips in routers across the world that automatically kill the updates, and any positive news about the updates, so that we're not actually seeing the truth.

2.0 has been out a while, and they're about to relese 3.0.
    Here is proof that he has webOS 2.0...

http://forums.precentral.net/2582912-post1480.html
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I'm willing to bet that it's the carriers trying to force specific features onto the phones. Verizon wants to push it's VCast services (not to mention there's likely some bickering about allowing the AGPS to be enabled), AT&T has already stated that there will be a delay, and Sprint might want to include updates to it's navigator and TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by anifan View Post
    I'm willing to bet that it's the carriers trying to force specific features onto the phones. Verizon wants to push it's VCast services (not to mention there's likely some bickering about allowing the AGPS to be enabled), AT&T has already stated that there will be a delay, and Sprint might want to include updates to it's navigator and TV.
    I doubt it's an issue of features. Phone companies have huge costs for supporting a phone. New versions require almost as much work as an entirely new phone. They will resist updates that don't make a material difference, or introduce new problems.

In a previous job I had to deal with this stuff with a carrier, and it is amazing what they have to do to provide support for various services and vendors. They are careful to test beyond reason, document everything, train everyone, and reject anything that doesn't improve things for users without screwing up support.

I'm willing to bet we will not see 1.4.5 in the states. It will be 1.4.5.3.7b... or perhaps 1.4.6, or whatever.

Voices in your head...... hmmmm explains your mysterious middle of the night phone call. I am starting to figure out how that call was made.
    I know reps don't know much, but this is what they had to say, which did not sound like anything soon was coming.

they work from a script... you can also try this with the beta chat app that is built into the webOS help system... that let's you chat with a Palm contractor working from an official Palm script...
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    they work from a script... you can also try this with the beta chat app that is built into the webOS help system... that let's you chat with a Palm contractor working from an official Palm script...
    Especially saying they don't have "any information" we all KNOW they do have information (at least the carrier does).... you ain't gonna get anything outta support and most likely any knowledge a support person has is going to be because they went out and got it on their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Especially saying they don't have "any information" we all KNOW they do have information (at least the carrier does).... you ain't gonna get anything outta support and most likely any knowledge a support person has is going to be because they went out and got it on their own.
    Actually they are probably telling the truth. "Front line" support agents rarely know release dates. To avoid leaks things are often on a need to know basis.

A front line agent doesn't NEED to know the update release date to support the end user.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Actually they are probably telling the truth. "Front line" support agents rarely know release dates. To avoid leaks things are often on a need to know basis.

A front line agent doesn't NEED to know the update release date to support the end user.
    Agreed that's why I said you won't get anything out of them and any knowledge they would have on the issue would be by going out on their own to get the information (as in not getting it from their employer, I probably should have clarified that).

Well we are glad you are not sharing anything with us either. It's not like any of want any stupid updates or anything... lol hehe
    I remember hearing something like 1.4.5 comes with a new phone.
    Is that true? Or am I confusing something else with it?

I'm getting a new Pre tomorrow cause of issues with my current one, and was just wondering if there's any truth to that.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Here is proof that he has webOS 2.0...

http://forums.precentral.net/2582912-post1480.html

What seems wrong with that is that it shows Sprint version 2.4 and sprint 2.5 was suppose to come with 1.4.5, so I can only imagine what it should be with 2.0....
    here's a dumb question... i have a pre that is not activated anymore can i still update or will it be a blank phone after an update, since i wouldn't be able to sign into my palm profile
    "Front line" support agents rarely know release dates.
    They rarely know anything at all, except how to read mostly useless scripts.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    @ the OP..... uhmmm okay to address your theory (short of the fact it is WELL known there is a known bug in the OTA of 1.4.5). Ignoring the known bug, and all the other information the rest of us seam to have that you don't I will attempt to just address your theory.

So for your theory to be valid, it would have to be an update that more people knew and cared about. Average and even lighter power users that aren't enthusiasts most likely have no idea 1.4.5 is even out there. The update isn't promising anything great for an average user either. So the concept of holding out a small update to try and drive people to other phones is inane.

Further more, to roll with the more popular theory (and actual reality), this is a VERY small update that most users aren't really missing. If you roll this update out, most users are going to have more problems from this update than what they get out of it. There is a very small minority of WebOS users on these forums, then a small amount of the minority here actually care about the update. If you push out a known broken update to all users, it will be a much larger number of users with a negative experience.

In a way it could be said that the US carriers are protecting Palms image by not pushing a broken update. The average user (average consumers and majority of the market place) would see this as a sign (possibly another sign) that Palm isn't reliable and they need to jump ship to something else.

In the end, your theory is debunked completely. Sorry.
    I don't think you've debunked his theory at all. Palm has stated in their developer forums that that are releasing 1.4.5 as is, bug and all. They also said that the reason they're releasing the update with the bug is because a fix would cause the carriers to have to re-certify a new update and that several carriers would simply NOT release the update if they had to go through this process again. On top of that they have instructed app developers on how to work around this bug and have the ability to reject apps that will be susceptible to this bug so essentially the bug is a non issue at this point.

Also I'm not sure why people keep propagating this notion that 1.4.5 is a small update that hardly brings anything to the table. The fact is that this update brings some substantial changes behind the scenes, it's just not packed with flashy new features that are obvious to most users. There's also the fact that it will allow 3d gaming for Pixi owners which in it self is pretty major.

With all that being said, coupled with the fact that Sprint and Verizon's top selling phones are all android based, i don't believe it's a stretch at all to think that they are pushing the WebOS update to the side while they work on getting Android updates out the door. And on top of that from the very beginning AT&T has said that it would NOT roll out the 1.4.5 update right away regardless of what the other carriers are doing.

I would like to think that the US carriers are getting some sort of +.1 version or whatnot but there's not a lot of evidence to support that at this point.

Link to dev post about the 1.4.5 release here: Forums webOS • View topic - Alert: 1.4.5 Bug with Writing to /media/internal