Page 71 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2161666768697071727374757681121 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 2953
    i got a couple 1.4.1.1 updates in the past 2 weeks.
    not that i care, any update is better than none.
    EOM
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelsandirs View Post
    Guess I am going to Doctor this evening, getting sick of this crap, hope I don't brick this thing, still got a lot of work to do on BFGMaps :-)

Maybe if I do brick I can talk my wife into letting me get a Pre, this pixi is bumming me out, with so few good games.

If I brick it we'll just have to blame Sprint/Palm and not the ***** who bricked his phone right? :-)
    Dude first if you find a way to "brick" your Pre, it's YOUR fault.

Second, if you find a way to "brick" your Pre using WebOS Dr, it is most definitely your fault!

Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Leave them on, and just hit "Update All" in Preware after the OTA update is complete.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod,

It's not quite that simple. When I doctored to 1.4.5, the first 4 patches that I reloaded installed and still showed an update. There are new versions of many patches for 1.4.5. That was not a major problem, just something to be aware of.

Reinstalling UberKernal actually gave me errors, since the old UK is not the recommended version for 1.4.5.

I wound up copying down the Saved Package List by hand and installing them manually. Might have been overkill, but it worked.

The interesting problem was how loaded down the Pre got while restoring the App Catalog apps. It was really loaded with up to 3 things syncing at one time. I have 2 Gmail and 1 Exchange account and several large App Catalog games. I started with a full charge and needed to charge while the apps were loading. The battery got pretty warm also even before charging. It took 2 1/2 hours of heavy downloading (sometimes with Wi-Fi) to get the App Catalog apps, email, address books, and calendars synced. Then the patches, theme, other apps, etc I did thru Preware as I had time through the rest of the day.

This should only be a problem for those doctoring. The OTA update should not be a problem.

Overall it was worth it for me. Now I am not obsessing as much about the update. I still think that Palm owes US users an explanation of why its taking so long.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Hi Rod,

It's not quite that simple. When I doctored to 1.4.5, the first 4 patches that I reloaded installed and still showed an update. There are new versions of many patches for 1.4.5. That was not a major problem, just something to be aware of.

Reinstalling UberKernal actually gave me errors, since the old UK is not the recommended version for 1.4.5.

I wound up copying down the Saved Package List by hand and installing them manually. Might have been overkill, but it worked.

The interesting problem was how loaded down the Pre got while restoring the App Catalog apps. It was really loaded with up to 3 things syncing at one time. I have 2 Gmail and 1 Exchange account and several large App Catalog games. I started with a full charge and needed to charge while the apps were loading. The battery got pretty warm also even before charging. It took 2 1/2 hours of heavy downloading (sometimes with Wi-Fi) to get the App Catalog apps, email, address books, and calendars synced. Then the patches, theme, other apps, etc I did thru Preware as I had time through the rest of the day.

This should only be a problem for those doctoring. The OTA update should not be a problem.

Overall it was worth it for me. Now I am not obsessing as much about the update. I still think that Palm owes US users an explanation of why its taking so long.
    Sounds like you are either loading things manually from files instead of from the correct feeds, or you forgot to update your feeds.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Sounds like you are either loading things manually from files instead of from the correct feeds, or you forgot to update your feeds.

-- Rod
    Well, I installed Preware after the doctor. Doesn't that updates feeds?
    Tom
    Well, I installed Preware after the doctor. Doesn't that updates feeds?
    It does, but I have no other possible explanation for you reporting that you installed patches and kernels from the correct preware feeds directly after a webos doctor, and suddenly those same feeds without any changes are listing updates to those packages. The only other way that I know that can happen is if you previously had the testing feeds enabled, and updated a saved package list from that, and then you don't enable the testing feed after the doctoring and preware reports that your saved package version is later than the one you installed from the public feeds. Is this what happened?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    It does, but I have no other possible explanation for you reporting that you installed patches and kernels from the correct preware feeds directly after a webos doctor, and suddenly those same feeds without any changes are listing updates to those packages. The only other way that I know that can happen is if you previously had the testing feeds enabled, and updated a saved package list from that, and then you don't enable the testing feed after the doctoring and preware reports that your saved package version is later than the one you installed from the public feeds. Is this what happened?

-- Rod
    That is possible. I did have the testing feeds enabled when I created a Saved Package List. After doctoring, I restored the Preware settings with Save/Restore which would have added the same feeds to Preware. Then I restored from the Saved Package List. Not totally certain on the sequence. I shoda taken better notes.

In any case, I'm now in good shape.
    Tom
    That is possible. I did have the testing feeds enabled when I created a Saved Package List. After doctoring, I restored the Preware settings with Save/Restore which would have added the same feeds to Preware. Then I restored from the Saved Package List. Not totally certain on the sequence. I shoda taken better notes.

In any case, I'm now in good shape.
    OK, I'm happy that there is a plausible explanation that does not involve a bug in Preware

At some point in the future we're going to change the way that the saved packages list works so that it doesn't store the version of the package, which will prevent this type of unexpected behaviour.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Just a thought, and i'm not complaining here as I'm not too eagerly anticipating WebOS 1.4.5 anyway, but the news is out that the Evo is getting Froyo next week.

This is interesting simply because Droid users on Verizon thought they'd get it first, as did the rest of the media. Only reason I bring it up is that WebOS users seem to be in the dark as to why we haven't seen 1.4.5 yet in the states (on Sprint, Verizon and ATT specifically).

I don't know how carriers work on releasing updates for phones, but I would think they have one division that works on pushing a particular update out to the most important phones in their lineup.

Does anyone else think WebOS 1.4.5 was simply a victim of the almighty Android, therefore shoved in the drawer until they were done with Froyo?

I'd even bet that we'll start to finally see legitimate leaks of 1.4.5 being released now the Froyo is done. Makes sense when you could think the same is happening with Verizon Pre's since their devs are probably hard at work pushing Froyo out to their Droid line of phones.

Of course, I'm just throwing my thoughts at the fan. Still don't care much for 1.4.5 anyway. It makes sense that Sprint and Verizon would keep quiet about it. Why **** off their own customers?
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Keeping silent is what will upset the customers, not just a delay by itself. Most people can accept even needing to QA a release before signing off on it, but not saying ANYTHING and keeping customers in the dark will upset even the most rational people.

I did get a follow-up call from AT&T, just to say that the reps didn't have an answer, so had to do more follow-up on their end before they could tell me anything.

That is the sort of thing that I can accept, that getting information can take a bit of effort. Just saying, "we have nothing to announce at this time, so keep waiting" for months just gets old and shows that no one is putting in the effort to get information.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    Just a thought, and i'm not complaining here as I'm not too eagerly anticipating WebOS 1.4.5 anyway, but the news is out that the Evo is getting Froyo next week.

This is interesting simply because Droid users on Verizon thought they'd get it first, as did the rest of the media. Only reason I bring it up is that WebOS users seem to be in the dark as to why we haven't seen 1.4.5 yet in the states (on Sprint, Verizon and ATT specifically).

I don't know how carriers work on releasing updates for phones, but I would think they have one division that works on pushing a particular update out to the most important phones in their lineup.

Does anyone else think WebOS 1.4.5 was simply a victim of the almighty Android, therefore shoved in the drawer until they were done with Froyo?

I'd even bet that we'll start to finally see legitimate leaks of 1.4.5 being released now the Froyo is done. Makes sense when you could think the same is happening with Verizon Pre's since their devs are probably hard at work pushing Froyo out to their Droid line of phones.

Of course, I'm just throwing my thoughts at the fan. Still don't care much for 1.4.5 anyway. It makes sense that Sprint and Verizon would keep quiet about it. Why **** off their own customers?
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Froyo and 1.4.5 it's going to be release at the same day, that's happen before with other updates, I remember that one update for the pre that everybody was waiting for, was release when they finally have the blackberry 8330 update ready.
    This is craziness... This is a 5 month-old anticipation thread, and it's for a 0.0.5 update. This is approaching Palm Pre release date anticipation status. Is this embarassing or exciting? I do not know.

No to your question....

And HUH to your other thought.....
    I agree with Strikerage's assessment....android is the flag ship phone for Sprint at the moment they will do everything and anything to remain competitive. Yesterday there were leaked EVO 4g sprint doc.s posted on engadget. It talked about the importance of releasing the 2.2 update. So i dont doubt that Palm Pre update has taken a back seat for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    I agree with Strikerage's assessment....android is the flag ship phone for Sprint at the moment they will do everything and anything to remain competitive. Yesterday there were leaked EVO 4g sprint doc.s posted on engadget. It talked about the importance of releasing the 2.2 update. So i dont doubt that Palm Pre update has taken a back seat for now.
    But his assessment is that 3 carriers haven't seen an update based on a phone on one carrier.

Also as we have discussed in this thread, there is nothing for Sprint to do but say okay at this point. The OTA rolls out from Palm servers.... Sprint really has NO work to do when it comes to releasing the update as it is.
    That isn't what HardbeatZ seems to indicate when he says that each carrier does their own assesment of an update before releasing it to the wild.

Only thing I would refute my own logic with is the fact that ATT has no such issues with focus since there's no major update for any other phones to worry about.... iPhone being the exception, but that's already a done deal.
    Global Posts
    909 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    This is craziness... This is a 5 month-old anticipation thread, and it's for a 0.0.5 update. This is approaching Palm Pre release date anticipation status. Is this embarassing or exciting? I do not know.
    Yeah. +1
    That isn't what HardbeatZ seems to indicate when he says that each carrier does their own assesment of an update before releasing it to the wild.

Only thing I would refute my own logic with is the fact that ATT has no such issues with focus since there's no major update for any other phones to worry about.... iPhone being the exception, but that's already a done deal.

Uhmmm the carrier does do their own assessment.... the release has been with the carriers for well over a month now that we can verify (probably more like over 2 months). The 1st release of 1.4.5 came before the 4th of July...... The big 3 have done their assessment and have clearly decided to hold off (for what at this point looks like the next release from Palm).

As has been said in this thread, I would be surprised if we see 1.4.5 in the US. Either a 1.4.5.1 or 1.5 is looking to be the probable next version we see.
    I doubt seriously that it's a matter of workload at this point. I don't know why neither Palm nor the carriers are saying anything, but I think it's pretty clear now that we're this far down the road that we're no longer waiting on 1.4.5. The US carriers have probably said no. I'm guessing that we may not hear more until the next release, whenever that will be. I'm kind of surprised that we haven't heard of a release to developers for the next one.

Edit: looks like OldSkoolVWLover beat me to the punch!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    But his assessment is that 3 carriers haven't seen an update based on a phone on one carrier.
    Actually, I didn't base it off one carrier, as I mentioned that Verizon is just as focused on pushing out Froyo to it's Droid phones. They've got as much at stake as Sprint since the Droid and Droid X would be in direct competition with the Evo.