Page 61 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1151565758596061626364656671111 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2953
  1. #1201  
    Quote Originally Posted by junkTzu View Post
    The flip side of the this though is that these existing PDK apps have been out for awhile already. For example I had already bought Ancient Frog and Smiles prior to the contest so those purchases would not count. I would imagine that most people who wanted to buy these apps would have bought them already. This would give new PDK apps an advantage because they are "new".
    New apps should also get an advantage in my view, since part of the goal of the contest is to get more apps out there.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  2. junkTzu's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #1202  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    New apps should also get an advantage in my view, since part of the goal of the contest is to get more apps out there.
    Right, but should those who saw value in WebOS before the masses not have an equal chance at the rewards? Either way I think it's great to see more apps come to WebOS.
  3. #1203  
    This wait really stinks. I'm a pixi owner and I've been waiting for 1.4.5 to come out to take advantage of the app sale that ends in 2 days. I thought for sure when the sale got extended that I'd not only get to buy some of the existing 3D game apps, but I'd have the chance to try out some new pdk apps too. It's not looking good.
  4. #1204  
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpepper View Post
    This wait really stinks. I'm a pixi owner and I've been waiting for 1.4.5 to come out to take advantage of the app sale that ends in 2 days. I thought for sure when the sale got extended that I'd not only get to buy some of the existing 3D game apps, but I'd have the chance to try out some new pdk apps too. It's not looking good.
    That is a bummer, no doubt about that.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5. #1205  
    Quote Originally Posted by junkTzu View Post
    Right, but should those who saw value in WebOS before the masses not have an equal chance at the rewards? Either way I think it's great to see more apps come to WebOS.
    That's a good point. We could say that earlier developers have a leg up on any new apps they produce because of their higher level of experience with the platform and development tools. So they still maintain an advantage if they want to make something new. Their earlier efforts should be rewarded in their own right, especially if they are very good efforts, but the marketplace ought to accomplish that (though consumer discovery can be an issue).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  6. #1206  
    I have so much angst about 1.4.5 right now. ROW has the update and the fstab bug has a simple patch for it so why the insanely long delay? I'm not paranoid but I'm starting to wonder what's happening...
  7. #1207  
    Maybe Sprint wants Palm to 1.4.5.1 with a fix in place first instead of giving us 1.4.5 and then issuing another update a week later
  8. #1208  
    Quote Originally Posted by Contradude View Post
    I have so much angst about 1.4.5 right now. ROW has the update and the fstab bug has a simple patch for it so why the insanely long delay? I'm not paranoid but I'm starting to wonder what's happening...
    Average consumer doesn't patch, doesn't have access to an easy fix, creates problems (workload) for customer support at Palm and for carriers. Where customer support would either have to advise to Dr the phone, or live with the defect until a proper OTA fix is rolled out.
  9. #1209  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Average consumer doesn't patch, doesn't have access to an easy fix, creates problems (workload) for customer support at Palm and for carriers. Where customer support would either have to advise to Dr the phone, or live with the defect until a proper OTA fix is rolled out.
    My point exactly
  10. Gaidal's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #1210  
    Definitely looks like Sprint/Verizon/AT&T (maybe) are making the fix the bug and recertify prior to the update at this point. Wish there would be some communication about this from Palm, though (even "unofficial" through Precentral would be something).
  11. #1211  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidal View Post
    Definitely looks like Sprint/Verizon/AT&T (maybe) are making the fix the bug and recertify prior to the update at this point. Wish there would be some communication about this from Palm, though (even "unofficial" through Precentral would be something).
    No kidding. That's what I've absolutely hated about Palm the last couple months is their silence. They haven't really said a word about anything. So secretive. Not exactly a good strategy when you have people constantly leaving your platform for Android due to no news on anything.
  12. OrR
    OrR is offline
    OrR's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    #1212  
    Quote Originally Posted by junkTzu View Post
    I disagree with this to a certain extent since there are PDK apps available that do not require 1.4.5 and can be downloaded by everyone. Therefore these apps have a much larger pool of people who could potential buy them until 1.4.5 is released to everyone.

    The flip side of the this though is that these existing PDK apps have been out for awhile already. For example I had already bought Ancient Frog and Smiles prior to the contest so those purchases would not count. I would imagine that most people who wanted to buy these apps would have bought them already. This would give new PDK apps an advantage because they are "new".
    IIRC, early access PDK apps (=everything out for a webOS version below 1.4.5) are excluded from the Hot Apps competition, anyway.
  13. #1213  
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    My point exactly
    LOL, my bad I had the thread opened in a tab earlier and didn't refresh before I posted so I didn't see your post til just now....
  14. espc31's Avatar
    Posts
    144 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #1214  
    with the flood of PDK apps looming carriers may be waiting for the half off sale to end. Full price for apps and all.
  15. #1215  
    Quote Originally Posted by espc31 View Post
    with the flood of PDK apps looming carriers may be waiting for the half off sale to end. Full price for apps and all.
    Let's hope there's a flood but the way they've been trickling apps so slowly into the app catalog, I don't expect things to change much..
  16. #1216  
    Quote Originally Posted by OrR View Post
    IIRC, early access PDK apps (=everything out for a webOS version below 1.4.5) are excluded from the Hot Apps competition, anyway.
    The official rules do not state that.

    -- Rod
  17. OrR
    OrR is offline
    OrR's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    #1217  
    IMO they do:
    All apps developed with Palm’s webOS PDK and made available through Palm app distribution mechanisms during the program period may be considered for the awards.
    It's a little vague, though. Less vague is this Pre Central post:
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-annou...ram-pdk-apps-0
    No idea what their source was, though, and I've been searching all over...


    Edit: I realize now that I failed hard at properly reading the Pre Central post and that is what gave me the idea. My fault, sorry...
    Last edited by OrR; 07/22/2010 at 06:32 PM.
  18. #1218  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OrR View Post
    IIRC, early access PDK apps (=everything out for a webOS version below 1.4.5) are excluded from the Hot Apps competition, anyway.
    The official rules do not state that.
    Unwiredben alludes to it in the developer forums: "only sales to users on webOS 1.4.5 count towards the results"

    So whether this means pre-1.4.5 games like Ancient Frog are at a disadvantage because they've already been downloaded by the people most interested in them, or at an advantage because they've got some word-of-mouth out, I'm not sure.

    I'll just have to try to make up the difference with the Pixi version...
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Play Ancient Frog on the Prē!
  19. #1219  
    OK, so I'm one of those users in Canada with Bell Mobility who got the 1.4.5 last week. However I haven't been very impressed with it. Battery drains in 3 to 4 hours, device always runs hot, continually crashing or bailing out of apps for no reason. In fact, it's so bad that tonight I finally just wiped it with WebOSDoctor and have done a complete new reinstall and update. We'll see if it's any better now.
  20. #1220  
    ^ hmm

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions