Page 53 of 148 FirstFirst ... 343484950515253545556575863103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2953
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    If we don't get the update tonight I think I will lose my sh*#%!!!
    I would be saddened for you to have an uncontrollable bowel movement.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    Cant we all just get along and be mad at plam/sprint/verizon/anyone else we can even slightly blame for not getting us the update? lol

I'm not mad at anybody (even dude that I wasted all that time having that discussion with).

I have 2 reasons I want this update to show up.... number 1 is to fix the downloading of podcasts, I listen to podcasts almost daily and streaming them SUCKS. (minor issue though really). The other is so I can untheme and remove the patches I need to so I can update and reapply. I don't do this in advance, so not having to check for an update and having it over with would be nice since I do have to do both mine and my wife's phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    LOLz!
    I'm amazed none of the Sprint insiders haven't been given any new news on a tentative release day after the last one didn't pan out..
  5. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post

Thank you - after the week I've had, I very much needed that "laugh out loud" moment
    I'm going to go ahead and guess (totally a guess, but they have released late on Fridays/ early Saturdays the past few times) tonight will be the night for us in the US. With a larger number of webOS users in the US it makes sense that they'd want to delay the initial server load until a weekend when less of the obsessive people like us will be hammering at it.

Then to normal users, it can roll out slowly over the next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    I'm amazed none of the Sprint insiders haven't been given any new news on a tentative release day after the last one didn't pan out..
    we probably scared them after the last insider tip on the release didn't work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by magistus View Post
    we probably scared them after the last insider tip on the release didn't work out.
    People were straight stoning cats for giving out info.

And as someone else (another cell store employee that carries sprint) pointed out. The documents don't always get updated when there is a delay.

I still stick with low level employees having no idea at this point, because the carriers are either making the choice to roll out a bugged version or are hoping for a fix. Who knows they may have an internal date or not for if there is no fix. I am not getting my hopes up (but I do check the update app a few times thru the day).
    Well, I guess Palm could turn around and say it's a feature and not a bug, then would Sprint release it. I think Ben nearly said just that in the developer forum yesterday when he said Developers should read/write from the app's own directory, and not /media/internal. It fixes the issue for the individual app while also the additional benefit of deleting all traces of the app when they actually remove it.

Sounds like a feature to me, what do you say Sprint?

"I'm on a horse"
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelsandirs View Post
    Well, I guess Palm could turn around and say it's a feature and not a bug, then would Sprint release it. I think Ben nearly said just that in the developer forum yesterday when he said Developers should read/write from the app's own directory, and not /media/internal. It fixes the issue for the individual app while also the additional benefit of deleting all traces of the app when they actually remove it.

Sounds like a feature to me, what do you say Sprint?

"I'm on a horse"
    I actually agree it makes it nice, and would actually mean apps would/could *hide* content. Like how Dr. Podder hides your downloaded podcasts from your music player. I would like to see app devs go this route (including hiding media), not really digging catching NFSU audio tracks on my music player shuffle (probably something I could fix but I don't use music player that much).
    Kinda a bit off topic, but considering how WebOS-Internals already have made a fix for this 'bug', Palm/HP should seriously consider teaming up with them.
    Everyone would already have the update by now and 1.5 would be the talk around here.
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.
    Gotta remember the "fix" is not one that Palm is probably looking at.

My guess and Rod or someone else can clarify, is that it is a script executing the commands that can be done manually. Allowing root access, the idea of this release is to "jail" the apps so they don't have root access. So allowing root access is not what is/was in palms goal.

So the "fix" would then be unacceptable to achieve the desired results for mass release.

Also not saying that the devs ALL of them in homebrew/patching/etc don't do an awesome job and deserve credit. Just saying I am guessing it's not a fix of corporate release type. But more of the developer forum fix type.
    Can't the update have a post-install script that runs once, that does the proper chmod on the fstab, it seems to me they could have easily added a little splash screen app that runs on first reboot after the update that takes care of the fstab issue, or even a small check on the first run of ANY PDK app, so in the SDL libs they just add a quick check and a status flag so it does not have to check every time maybe just when the phone is restarted. seems simple and elegant, and not so "hacky" to me.
    Can't the update have a post-install script that runs once, that does the proper chmod on the fstab, it seems to me they could have easily added a little splash screen app that runs on first reboot after the update that takes care of the fstab issue, or even a small check on the first run of ANY PDK app, so in the SDL libs they just add a quick check and a status flag so it does not have to check every time maybe just when the phone is restarted. seems simple and elegant, and not so "hacky" to me.
    They could've but that would require carrier certification all over again which they don't want to do timewise according to their post.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    They could've but that would require carrier certification all over again which they don't want to do timewise according to their post.
    Yeah I guess so but they made it sound like no fix would be ready before the next "major" release which I assume is like 1.5, and not an incremental of 1.4.5.x

If the case is that there will be no fix until 1.5 and 1.4.5.1 is not a "fix" build then Sprint has no reason to release 1.4.5.x if they have not released it already.

So my only hope is for that late Friday night release,

Although some have said that Sprint may no want to release it with the bug due to increased calls to support. maybe we can rally the troops and call over and over and complain about not having the update because we want cool new apps only available to 1.4.5.x users.. think that would work? Neither did I :-)
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

My guess and Rod or someone else can clarify, is that it is a script executing the commands that can be done manually. Allowing root access, the idea of this release is to "jail" the apps so they don't have root access. So allowing root access is not what is/was in palms goal.

So the "fix" would then be unacceptable to achieve the desired results for mass release.

Also not saying that the devs ALL of them in homebrew/patching/etc don't do an awesome job and deserve credit. Just saying I am guessing it's not a fix of corporate release type. But more of the developer forum fix type.
    Unless Rod and other people from the Homebrew community are secret Palm programers... Dun dun dun...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

That is completely and utterly incorrect, and completely misses the extreme efforts that WebOS Internals takes to make sure that anything we release is 100% compatible with Palm's current firmware and known future plans.

The EFF implements a correction which makes an OTA-updated Pre have the same /etc/fstab contents as a Pre which has had 1.4.5 installed using the webOS Doctor. *Exactly the same*. And it was only released after Palm confirmed that they would handle both cases (OTA'd devices and Doctor'd devices) in the next update, so we could be sure that EFF would have zero impact on Palm's future plans.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    People here seem to fail to understand that even a single character change in a help string means a new webOS version which means a restart of carrier certification.

For a commercial release which is going to affect *every* *single* *device* in the market, you simply can't turn it around in a couple of days.

For homebrew, we can turn it around in minutes. But we don't have any responsibility if anything goes wrong, nor any liability to Palm's customers or carrier partners. That's the difference.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    never gonna give you up.. Never gonna let you down...
    never gonna run around and desert you.
    seriously though, by the time we get this stupid update its gonna lame. there better be something else good with this to make us wait this long. besides these PDK apps.