Page 52 of 148 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152535455565762102 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 2953
  1. #1021  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    So therefore, with cronk being out there on day 1 of the contest, it will have a leg up on the rest.
    Indeed it will. As will any other app from developers that service the global market.

    I can only hope the lack of US 1.4.5 update is the reason for no newer apps released. Perhaps no multi-lang support? If so thoe, not fair to developers trying to compete in a contest that has already started.
    Any developer could have put a PDK app in the app catalog last week and marked it as available world-wide with English language only (Palm explicitly allows that now).

    Whether or not webOS 1.4.5 is released in the US at the moment is irrelevant.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2. #1022  
    LOL took my phone out of my purse on break at work to the alert that my update had downloaded and was ready to install. Just got the UberKernal on it from the testing feed and its working perfectly. Pretty painless update too. Only had one patch that didn't play nice and got it fixed lickity split.

    With the kernal it's freakin' flying, hell even at 600 it was noticably spunkier. I don't game on my cell phone so I can't speak as to the bug but everything else is fine. The only really noticable difference with the update is the phone is definitely faster even without a kernal.
  3. #1023  
    So, I am guessing that I shouldn't hold my breath when it comes to this update.....SPRINT
    Last edited by Gust30; 07/16/2010 at 05:28 AM.
  4. #1024  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Just love how the early adopters are the ones taking the shaft from Palm rather than being rewarded.. clearly its not coming tonight. Fail.
    Actually the update that has rolled out in other countries has been in the hands of the US carriers as well. Palm (unless there is something in the contract I don't know about and hasn't been mentioned here), can't just force carriers to roll out an OTA. As seen by the last OTA where VZW was behind EVERYONE else.

    I was thinking about this last night, and wonder if maybe the US carriers are dragging their feet in hopes of a .1 update from Palm fixing the issue we all know about before releasing. As some have said, the numbers for overall sales are in the US, when a carrier releases a known broken update, the carrier has to make the financial decision to take the chance that their call centers will possibly get hit heavily with issue calls.

    Not saying it won't come out in it's current state, but that the carriers who control the release have nothing to gain by pushing now, and possibly something to lose in the terms of workload and customer satisfaction. Just as how VZW always releases a lil later than other carriers when the update is received at the same time, as a company they have decided to test longer (and possibly wait for a fix if they find an issue).
  5. #1025  
    I believe it's actually Palm who's rolling out the updates and not the carriers, the carriers just give them the go ahead.
  6. #1026  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    I believe it's actually Palm who's rolling out the updates and not the carriers, the carriers just give them the go ahead.
    The files come from Palm servers, but as we've seen before with previous releases the lag between when Palm builds it and it's released for a certain carrier is specific to each carrier.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. #1027  
    Exactly, I meant they release on a carrier-by-carrier basis. If they had to wait for each carrier they might as well release one or two updates per year. I have a good feeling Sprint's getting it tonight, we're normally pretty good on Friday nights.
  8. #1028  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Exactly, I meant they release on a carrier-by-carrier basis. If they had to wait for each carrier they might as well release one or two updates per year. I have a good feeling Sprint's getting it tonight, we're normally pretty good on Friday nights.

    No you aren't getting what Rod and I are saying. The carriers have had the update.

    Quick example, everyone got that last update (I think it was the last one) at the same time, all carriers but VZW rolled it out (at VZW's decision). VZW found a bug, and waited for the .1 release of the update. Those of us on Sprint got a fix update about a week or 2 later (could be off on the time frame).

    The update has been in the carriers hands at least since the O2 Germany release. The carriers then chose when (or even if) to roll said update out. Being that this has been a known bug since right after O2 Germany saw the roll out, the delay was most likely the carriers hoping Palm would get a quick fix out, now that a couple weeks have passed some carriers are deciding to roll it out as is. The update may roll to Sprint today or soon (not saying it won't), but that is up to Sprint at this point (unless Palm has a clause in the contract and can force the carrier to push the update).



    Regardless of the specifics (which none of us know for certain), I can guarantee you Palm has not held the update from Sprint and other US carriers for multiple weeks.
  9. moris's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #1029  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    unless Palm has a clause in the contract and can force the carrier to push the update
    I dont think so, Telcel is still on 1.4.0
  10. #1030  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    No you aren't getting what Rod and I are saying. The carriers have had the update.

    Quick example, everyone got that last update (I think it was the last one) at the same time, all carriers but VZW rolled it out (at VZW's decision). VZW found a bug, and waited for the .1 release of the update. Those of us on Sprint got a fix update about a week or 2 later (could be off on the time frame).

    The update has been in the carriers hands at least since the O2 Germany release. The carriers then chose when (or even if) to roll said update out. Being that this has been a known bug since right after O2 Germany saw the roll out, the delay was most likely the carriers hoping Palm would get a quick fix out, now that a couple weeks have passed some carriers are deciding to roll it out as is. The update may roll to Sprint today or soon (not saying it won't), but that is up to Sprint at this point (unless Palm has a clause in the contract and can force the carrier to push the update).



    Regardless of the specifics (which none of us know for certain), I can guarantee you Palm has not held the update from Sprint and other US carriers for multiple weeks.
    No, Rod said the updates come from PALM'S servers, NOT the carriers'. Yes the carriers have it, but only for testing and reviewing. They don't carry out the actual releasing, they give Palm permission to do so and then Palm does it.
  11. #1031  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    No, Rod said the updates come from PALM'S servers, NOT the carriers'. Yes the carriers have it, but only for testing and reviewing. They don't carry out the actual releasing, they give Palm permission to do so and then Palm does it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The files come from Palm servers, but as we've seen before with previous releases the lag between when Palm builds it and it's released for a certain carrier is specific to each carrier.

    -- Rod
    Also read my VZW example. As the person above you posted, telcel is still on 1.4.0.

    I don't know how it can be any clearer that this is based on carrier decision. Especially with the known fact that VZW holds on to updates longer than Sprint before releasing. Ohh and there was a thread or article on PC showing the receipt date vs release dates of various carriers..... Found it!

    http://www.precentral.net/webos-firm...arrier-numbers

    Notice the dates, and VZW never release 1.3.5 also, the days between build date and release date varies by carrier.
  12. #1032  
    I understand all that, but my whole point is yes I know it comes down to the carriers' decisions, but the updates aren't coming from their SERVERS. Not Sprint's, Verizon's, Bell's. Palm's servers. The carriers basically tell Palm "Okay, you can release it now," and Palm releases that carrier's version whenever. Verizon just happens to test their version the longest before giving Palm permission.

    "Rod discovered that by comparing the build date of the webOS Doctor image (found in /etc/palm-build-info), which is presumably when the update is submitted to the carrier, to the date in the webOS Doctor URL (all of which can be found by way of the webOS Internals Wiki), which is presumably when the carrier GAVE THE OK for release, we can get an idea of how long it takes each carrier to approve firmware by device."
  13. #1033  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    I understand all that, but my whole point is yes I know it comes down to the carriers' decisions, but the updates aren't coming from their SERVERS. Not Sprint's, Verizon's, Bell's. Palm's servers. The carriers basically tell Palm "Okay, you can release it now," and Palm releases that carrier's version whenever. Verizon just happens to test their version the longest before giving Palm permission.

    "Rod discovered that by comparing the build date of the webOS Doctor image (found in /etc/palm-build-info), which is presumably when the update is submitted to the carrier, to the date in the webOS Doctor URL (all of which can be found by way of the webOS Internals Wiki), which is presumably when the carrier GAVE THE OK for release, we can get an idea of how long it takes each carrier to approve firmware by device."
    Okay, so I still don't get what your argument with my initial post was all about? Semantics?

    You are now saying you agree exactly with everything I have said? We wasted bandwidth and forum space for us to be in agreement this whole page/time?

    I am more confused now than I was when this started.....

  14. #1034  
    You kept wording it like the carriers release it themselves and we download the updates from their own servers. That's the case for Android, not webOS. But that's what forums are for.
  15. #1035  
    This update will be stale by the time it gets in our hands. lol.
  16. #1036  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    You kept wording it like the carriers release it themselves and we download the updates from their own servers. That's the case for Android, not webOS. But that's what forums are for.
    I never once said anything about where the file came from, only that the carriers are the ones holding the update..... my original post on the topic was in response to this.

    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    But not the country with the most phone sales.
    and this

    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Considering USA still has 1.4.1, I doubt they've approved any to the app catalog yet. This is honestly unbelievable to me that we still don't have it here. They gave it to the rest of the world yesterday but still can't give it to us. Clearly they are not waiting on carrier permissions because they said the reason they are releasing with the bug entact is to avoid carrier certification again, so as far as I'm concerned, they are just plain being SLOW now!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! WAKE UP PALM!
    There was also another comment somewhere from someone talking about early adopters getting left out or something can't remember where it was or if I just skipped over it.
  17. Shaikh's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #1037  
    Cant we all just get along and be mad at plam/sprint/verizon/anyone else we can even slightly blame for not getting us the update? lol
  18. jasqid's Avatar
    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    909 Global Posts
    #1038  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    This update will be stale by the time it gets in our hands. lol.
    Like Micro$oft release Window 7 several months ago and Windows 8 is the new hub-bub.

    Perhaps we should be counting this down..er up like the oil leak. (?).

    Day 9 and no update.
  19. #1039  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasqid View Post
    Like Micro$oft release Window 7 several months ago and Windows 8 is the new hub-bub.

    Perhaps we should be counting this down..er up like the oil leak. (?).

    Day 9 and no update.
    Actually, im not sure how you can compare windows 7 to 1.4.5 ... unless your just kidding.. windows 8 on the other hand isn't even a twinkle in your mamas eyes.
  20. csal80's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    #1040  
    If we don't get the update tonight I think I will lose my sh*#%!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions