Page 141 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4191131136137138139140141142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 2953
    I know it's no where near as bad as Android but it's still evident.

Verizon and ATT are holding back updates thus not allowing is the full catakog of apps.

Then you have the Pixi which us often forgotten when devs are designing an app.

Hopefully HPalm will keep the resoletion the same on the next phones and maybe even release updates directly(probably not).
    It's not "fragmentation" we have some phones whose carriers are postponing updates for, nothing like android "fragmentation" with phones being released on OS's that are multiple OTAs behind.
    WebOS just has the problem of being on multiple carriers that have different standards of testing before they release an update.
    Quote Originally Posted by producingyou View Post
    Coming from a winMO phone, where the development community was insanely large (XDA Developers FTW), why has no one (I ask this knowing full well I can not do it) been able to release a "ROM" of the sprint 1.4.5 for AT&T? I mean, webOS is pretty open, so between all the amazing talent we have here, no one can piece together the sprint 1.4.5 and the at&T 1.4.2? (I say AT&T [a] cause i have them and [b] verizon seemingly has a release date)

Any thoughts as to why?
    No one will release a "ROM" because it is illegal to do so. However, you can "doctor" your own device.

Read up on WebOS Meta-Doctor. The 1.4.5 "wr" WebOS Doctor works just fine on an AT&T Pre Plus using meta-doctor with modem update disabled.

Only thing noticable in AT&T 1.4.2 that you'll lose is AT&T Navigator, but, you'll gain the ability to select 2G or 3G from the phone preferences menu.

One could use a similar process to add AT&T Navigator as the Bell Canada folks used early on to install the Sprint Navigation app. Extract the two ipk's from the 1.4.2 doctor and so on ....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    So wonderful to have some educated common sense in this thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by producingyou View Post
    Coming from a winMO phone, where the development community was insanely large (XDA Developers FTW), why has no one (I ask this knowing full well I can not do it) been able to release a "ROM" of the sprint 1.4.5 for AT&T? I mean, webOS is pretty open, so between all the amazing talent we have here, no one can piece together the sprint 1.4.5 and the at&T 1.4.2? (I say AT&T [a] cause i have them and [b] verizon seemingly has a release date)

Any thoughts as to why?
    Perhaps because it's illegal? A webOS Doctor (or "ROM" to those from inferior mobile operating system communities) is a proprietary copyright file, which is not licensed for distribution by third parties. Distributing a modified webOS Doctor file is a violation of copyright law.

There is a legal way to do it yourself (using the WebOS Internals MetaDoctor), and as long as you do not distribute the resulting file you do not break any copyright laws.

The webOS homebrew community does things legally - other mobile operating system communities should try it sometime, it makes it much easier to have a cooperative relationship with the hardware and OS vendor ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    has anyone called vzw today and just asked?
    Last edited by thednbselecta; 09/12/2010 at 01:54 AM.
    I was told by a VZW Corporate person that 1.4.5 will be rolled out tomorrow, Monday 13 September. No time was given though. I sure hope he is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by bherriot View Post
    I was told by a VZW Corporate person that 1.4.5 will be rolled out tomorrow, Monday 13 September. No time was given though. I sure hope he is correct.
    in the past they have always rolled out at midnight --eastern
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    so, that means midnight tonight, or midnight tomorrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrocsupreme View Post
    so, that means midnight tonight, or midnight tomorrow?
    I'LL Let you know a week or so from now
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    went in to pay bill yesterday and was told 2 weeks but he wasn't looking in the system so ....

btw he was the manager and a pre user
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Posted this earlier but got no answer. Does anyone know if it's safe to keep uberkernel installed when I upgrade to 1.4.5? Or should I uninstall it?
    Edit: Ok, Rod's got a better answer considering he's with webOS Internals. Hope it answers your question, zephyr1108.
    Last edited by DJ espeed; 09/12/2010 at 07:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr1108 View Post
    Posted this earlier but got no answer. Does anyone know if it's safe to keep uberkernel installed when I upgrade to 1.4.5? Or should I uninstall it?
    All kernels from WebOS Internals are OTA safe when installed using Preware.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rod, that is an advertising slogan right there, haha. It's catchy and it rhymes... ...in one particular part. Still, it is catchy!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby;
    All kernels from WebOS Internals are OTA safe when installed using Preware.

-- Rod
    Ok thanks for your help!
    I sent an email to verizon about the 1.4.5 update. I got a callback today on my cell with the rep stating that the 1.4.5 update will be released tomarrow (9/13)
    We are still going on with the Twitter protest even if they relase it tomorrow. We need to have the mask dude make one about the GPS issue for Verizon.
    Update. LOL I just checked my email and I had a letter with this from Verizon:

"As a follow up to the previous email we sent, after further review, we we're able to obtain some updated information regarding the WebOS 1.4.5 update for the Palm Pre Plus. The WebOS 1.4.5 update for your device will begin effective 09/13. The update will be batched directly to your device. Unfortunately, there is no ability to force the software update. For more information regarding the WebOS 1.4.5 update, please visit the link provided below:

NOTE: As a precaution, before performing the Partial Erase, we ask that you please ensure that your data has been backed up. For steps on how to perform a manual backup, please visit the link below:

Over the Air (OTA) System Update: Palmģ Pre™ Plus "
    Good if true.... but that would still leave AT&T for the Twitter campaign. We shall see...

<<threads merged>>