Page 135 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3585125130131132133134135136137138139140145 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 2953
  1. #2681  
    This is another indicator that the entire model of cell phone marketing in the US needs to change. Updates should come from the cell phone manufacturer not the carrier.
    That and this "exclusive carrier" nonsense needs to be tossed in the bucket and the practice of selling "locked" phones made illegal.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
  2. #2682  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    2) A few hundred Pre sold by Verizon? Really?
    C-note, if you aren't going to read my entire post, please don't bother responding to it.

    Fine, let's say it is 100K. Would you spend $50K to test it? Especially when you have millions using Android and you are spread thon enough with all your testing?
    alm finds a way
    Let's face webOS is a niche market. Unless HPalm finds a way to drastically increase tthe user base, large carriers like AT&T and VZW will put them on the back burner. That is just business.
  3. Speebs's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #2683  
    Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    Rumors..rumors...rumors..
    Verizon just released their most popular phones as of right now. The droid x, droid 2, and the soon to come samsung fascinate. So their pretty busy with these phones and these updates (since android is glorified on verizon) sooner or later, us pre pus owners will be getting the update. Its not a major update hence the reason why verizons lagging on it. I'm sure 2.0 will be right on time since its such a big update. And I don't think the next webOS phone will be coming to Verizon. Sprints customers have been waiting much longer, and it would just make much more sense to release it to sprint. Verizons more of a android carrier, as sprint holds many varaties.
    It's a major update to those of us who own the phones...

    There is ALWAYS a newer and better phone than the one you just bought. Why is it OK for Verizon to just abandon its users to focus on new sales?
  4. #2684  
    I can't stand it when someone says 1.4.5 is not a major update, what about all the apps I can't download? What about the $ I wanna spend? It's not fair to te customers or the developers.
  5. Speebs's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #2685  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    C-note, if you aren't going to read my entire post, please don't bother responding to it.

    Fine, let's say it is 100K. Would you spend $50K to test it? Especially when you have millions using Android and you are spread thon enough with all your testing?
    alm finds a way
    Let's face webOS is a niche market. Unless HPalm finds a way to drastically increase tthe user base, large carriers like AT&T and VZW will put them on the back burner. That is just business.
    I would consider that support, and part of the cost of signing up for the phone in the first place. If VZ didn't want to support the Pre then they shouldn't have sold it in the first place. Treating customers like guinea pigs is not cool, especially when those customers pay $1000/year for the phone + plan.
  6. #2686  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    It's a major update to those of us who own the phones...

    There is ALWAYS a newer and better phone than the one you just bought. Why is it OK for Verizon to just abandon its users to focus on new sales?
    I have verizon to, so trust me, I feel your pain! I'd love to play some angry birds.
  7. #2687  
    is this not in some way a violation of my contract on verizons part?
  8. Speebs's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #2688  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    is this not in some way a violation of my contract on verizons part?
    Very doubtful. If anything were a violation, I'd say it is the GPS issue, which they will never get in trouble for, for some reason.
  9. #2689  
    what about selling me a phone & locking me into a 2 year contract when they don't plan on supporting my phone for 2 years?
  10. #2690  
    Cnote, that's my whole point. Why can't we just get a damn OFFICIAL STATEMENT from either vzw, or palm, re: the gps issue, the 1.4.5 update, and the status of 2.0's update availability on the current crop of webOS phones, since the latter 2 have either been released (1.4.5) or have been announced. OK, maybe 2.0 won't be available on pixis or the original pres (another "rumor" due to their relatively limited hardware), but an official statement will go a long way.

    HARDBEATZ, I generally agree with everything you post on precentral and palm.com, but I think you are way off with your argument re: manufacturers stating what wil be available for their devices. For example, motorola has announced which of their devices will get froyo, samsung has announced it, and RIM has announced which of their devices are getting 6.0. Many manufacturers announced which of their windows mobile phones would be getting the 6.5 "update" way back when. True, the actual dates of the releases haven't always been announced since the carriers are a pain when it comes to software updates, but atleast their possible availabilty HAVE been announced.

    Meanwhile, vzw pre plus users and even att users are sitting around wondering what next with their CURRENT phones, for whom we are paying alot of money for a service plan, for which many of us are locked in to a 2 yr contract.
  11. #2691  
    well put. Too bad there is no 'higher authority' we can go to about these complaints.
  12. #2692  
    If Verizon "orphans" the pre (i.e. no 1.4.5 or 2.0 and no gps fix), I wonder what would happen if everyone who wants another type of phone took their phone in and asked for a replacement phone with a working gps.

    Has anyone taken their phone to Verizon and demonstrated that the gps does not work? If so, what was their reaction?
  13. #2693  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    what about selling me a phone & locking me into a 2 year contract when they don't plan on supporting my phone for 2 years?
    Not providing an update and not supporting a phone are two totally different things. A company doesn't have to provide an update to support the phone.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  14. #2694  
    Does anyone have a clue on when 1.4.5. comes out for AT&T?

    I just lately found out about patches and all the nasty stuff the Pre can do,I downloaded a ton of it. I got the Visual Boy Emulator and sat down,ready for some nastalgia with Pokemon,and it never loaded.

    I ended up doing some digging and found out that Sprint has it and we don't? Vzw doesn't either?

    Why are these companys throwing us under the bus? I understand marketing stragey here with what's the new big thing,but that doesn't mean people like us deserve to be side-lined.

    I mean geez apparently the companies have the system update,can't someone just sit at the table for 30seconds and hit send? (I know it isn't really that simple but still.) it's un-real.
  15. #2695  
    Here lately, I've encountered a few apps that simple won't install due to the error message "This application cannot run on your current operating system. Use the Updates app to install the system update and try again." My Pre Plus is, however, up to date according to the "Updates" app, running at version 1.4.2 on AT&T. Are these just apps that were made for only 1.4.5 or am I missing something here? Thanks so much in advance.

    Brandon
  16. #2696  
    Never mind this...5 more minutes of research...I'm an *****, and I apologize, lol.
  17. #2697  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    In fairness the lack of confirmation of an update is no different than any other company, so with that being said call up any other phone manufacturer and ask them when the next phone update is going to be and ask them what devices it will come on. You're not likely to get any different response than you have received from Palm.
    I do understand what you are saying but as a Palm Pre Plus user I'm finding more and more applications I CAN NOT INSTALL. So not only is my phone not getting updates the app catalog continues to grow smaller and smaller to me.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  18. #2698  
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I do understand what you are saying but as a Palm Pre Plus user I'm finding more and more applications I CAN NOT INSTALL. So not only is my phone not getting updates the app catalog continues to grow smaller and smaller to me.
    This, in fact, is a problem between the developers and the app catalog. When uploading an app to the catalog, one can specify the minimum version for the program to work, and the catalog should honor this and not show them on previous versions.

    But... come to think about it, I believe the app catalog works fine, it's the beta and web apps which show this error, am I right?
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  19. #2699  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    This, in fact, is a problem between the developers and the app catalog. When uploading an app to the catalog, one can specify the minimum version for the program to work, and the catalog should honor this and not show them on previous versions.

    But... come to think about it, I believe the app catalog works fine, it's the beta and web apps which show this error, am I right?

    Nope I'm getting this on some normal apps specially PDK (of course)

    but never the less I know these programs are out there I would just like to be able to download them if i want. Fragmentation has begun... (conspiracy theory!!!! Google is paying Verizon to hold off on the Pre update) (TIC)
    Last edited by Major Payne; 09/06/2010 at 10:47 AM.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  20. #2700  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    In fairness the lack of confirmation of an update is no different than any other company, so with that being said call up any other phone manufacturer and ask them when the next phone update is going to be and ask them what devices it will come on. You're not likely to get any different response than you have received from Palm.
    HardBeatZ,

    If there is one person who can bring a comment back to the head of the table at Palm, it's you. Can you please let Jon Rubinstein and company know that there are people out here who would just like a palm device that has no carrier requirements. (Much like an iPod touch). If I had such a device with everything but a cell signal, I would resort to going back to a simple to use phone on a no name network and dump Verizon altogether. I would be happy knowing that I had everything in my Palm Pre without having to deal with extortion from phone companies. Let people buy your devices without having to be tied to a phone company so they can experience the fullness of what you offer, when you offer it. Heck, I'd buy one for every member in my family!

    Thank You.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions