Page 134 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3484124129130131132133134135136137138139144 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 2953
    After asking if they were releasing the update for the Pre+ this is what I got back from Verizon via twitter

@iTz_Nicholas72 The 1.4.5 update was for the Pixi.*TM /via @VZWSupport
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    The same issue is going to happen when webOS 2.0 is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    no where is the article does it say 1.4.5 is not coming to the pre plus. They basically got the same info all of us have received and that is "we have no information at this time". They have basically taken the little info verizon has given them and spun it into something else.
    To be fair, we haven't "spun" anything at all.

Verizon and Palm shouldn't be giving PhoneNews.com the runaround on the GPS issue. After six months, there should be a clear statement on that.

And, Palm and Verizon should at least be commenting that webOS 1.4.5 will be coming, at some point, for Pre Plus on Verizon. The lack of confirmation on that (and we have asked several times before writing the article) is deeply concerning.

From our experience, that is an indicator that a device will not be updated. Not a guarantee, just an indicator that every Pre Plus owner on Verizon should be concerned about.

Hopefully coverage like this will convince Palm that they owe Verizon customers the due diligence of answering:

1) If the GPS issues will be resolved
    2) Who is causing the GPS issues (Verizon or Palm)
    3) Issue a statement about webOS 1.4.5 on Pre Plus for Verizon.

The fact they haven't (to each of those three points) is, in our opinion, unacceptable... respectfully speaking, of course.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    have at it -- verizon will release the update when they are good and ready -- they might be testing it to see if there are any major bugs -- but then again maybe they are waiting for the entire precentral community ( a very small percentage of pre owners -- which is a very small percentage of their smart phone business) like i said maybe they are waiting for a lare number of posts to be ambushed upon them.... ---yes i am sure that is what it is --they have always bent to pressure from their customers..

don't get me wrong i want the update as much as you do-- verizon is following what ever procedures that they feel they must and then they will release the update. there is no reason they won't -- they have proven over and over that they release these things more slowly then other carriers -- not only for the palm phone but for black berry and android phones as well --- get over it -- it will show up and most likely fairly soon -- this is their motus to try to force the issue is only a waste of time and energy.

my opinion
    Well said. There isn't a point in bombing them with 'where is 1.4.5'. Ask once and let that be it.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Man, I sure hope palm is not going to release next gen hardware exclusively on vz and think for one second it will be successful. Talk about a disaster that would be, sprint first or all carriers at once or nothing!!
    So... yeah, I'm totally thinking about "Sprinting" my Pre Plus. You know what, I don't give a s*** if I void my VZW warranty. I'm going to order a Pre when I can and Plus it. Sprint might just get another customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ espeed View Post
    So... yeah, I'm totally thinking about "Sprinting" my Pre Plus. You know what, I don't give a s*** if I void my VZW warranty. I'm going to order a Pre when I can and Plus it. Sprint might just get another customer.
    that is definately a move in the right direction -- if sprint service is good enough in your area that you can change (here it is not ) then vote with your money -- this is really the only voice that business understands -- should enough people do it then notice might be taken. i think that if my family -wife mother --brother etc is any representation then most people who own a smart phone are not even aware that there is a pending update nor are they bothered by the fact that it is running long in it's release. if people are offended by this lack of speedy service then by all means they should speak with their wallet and change providers -- just make sure that you don't jump to at&t -- i don't think they have it either
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat View Post
    To be fair, we haven't "spun" anything at all.

Verizon and Palm shouldn't be giving PhoneNews.com the runaround on the GPS issue. After six months, there should be a clear statement on that.

And, Palm and Verizon should at least be commenting that webOS 1.4.5 will be coming, at some point, for Pre Plus on Verizon. The lack of confirmation on that (and we have asked several times before writing the article) is deeply concerning.

From our experience, that is an indicator that a device will not be updated. Not a guarantee, just an indicator that every Pre Plus owner on Verizon should be concerned about.

Hopefully coverage like this will convince Palm that they owe Verizon customers the due diligence of answering:

1) If the GPS issues will be resolved
    2) Who is causing the GPS issues (Verizon or Palm)
    3) Issue a statement about webOS 1.4.5 on Pre Plus for Verizon.

The fact they haven't (to each of those three points) is, in our opinion, unacceptable... respectfully speaking, of course.
    In fairness the lack of confirmation of an update is no different than any other company, so with that being said call up any other phone manufacturer and ask them when the next phone update is going to be and ask them what devices it will come on. You're not likely to get any different response than you have received from Palm.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    In fairness the lack of confirmation of an update is no different than any other company, so with that being said call up any other phone manufacturer and ask them when the next phone update is going to be and ask them what devices it will come on. You're not likely to get any different response than you have received from Palm.
    True, but that doesn't make it any more appropriate a way to treat your customers. Telecom companies, and to a lesser extent the manufacturers, have everyone in a stranglehold and they know it, and constantly take advantage of it. As soon as a phone is released, the companies all move on to focusing on the next one and tend to leave everyone else to rot for 2 years. Very frustrating.
    This is just another reason why Palm/HP needs to get themselves aligned with either Sprint or T-Mobile exclusively. Sprint is a harder sell because they are trying real hard to get on the Android bandwagon with the Evo and Galaxy, but success can be had with a kickass phone and a great marketing push.

Verizon and ATT have already made their beds and are sleeping in them. They've made it abundantly clear that they are not interested in Palm. Sprint had the most success with the Pre, and it's existing Pre owners are definitely going to upgrade to the new phone, should it come out.

All they need is amazing hardware, more accessible API's for the devs to play with, and a few good apps like QuickOffice, ShopSavvy, and games like the soon to be released Rage on the iPhone.

**** Verizon and ATT. Make them approach Palm to carry their phone and not the other way around. And don't bother with the whole 'multiple channels' argument. It obviously isn't working now, so screw the other channels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Well it makes sense. If you only have a couple hundred devices, why wastet the time and effort testing a release of an OS?

Granted, I'm sure it's more than that, but at some point the number is not large enough to justify the expense. If that really is the case they should offer all Pre+ owners the option of moving to a Pixi+ and dump the Pre+ all together...

This can't be making Palm happy at all.
    Time to take a deep breath everyone. These rumors remind me of the stories about HP killing the Palm phone effort which were mis-interpretations of poorly worded comments from Mark Hurd. A few question before we hit the panic button:

1) (no disrespect intended) Who the heck is Phonenews.com so that we should take their word as gospel, (or Talmud, or Koran or the writings of your choice)? And why would Verizon or Palm feel obligated to tell them anything?

2) A few hundred Pre sold by Verizon? Really?

3) If two were true (and it's not) would that negate the obligation to treat customers professionally, at least while still under a two year contract?

Most of the Tech Blogs are a waste of space (good when they publish facts, but take opinions at your own risk). Survey them after any event and you will find completely divergent conclusions reached by them after considering the EXACT same data.

For example, after the BB Torch was released some said RIM was "back in the game", some said it was a mixed success, and others said it was a failure. The opinions probably depended on what phone OS the writer is likes best.
    Last edited by C-Note; 09/05/2010 at 10:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    Verizon and ATT have already made their beds and are sleeping in them. They've made it abundantly clear that they are not interested in Palm.
    To be fair to AT&T, they have a long history of carrying and promoting Palm phones from the early Treo 600, 650, Centro, 750, with the exception of the Treo Pro.

AT&T's excusivity with the iphone has about ran its course. I would look for them to kick up promotion of Android in the nexy few months. Plus they have very good upgrade prices on the Pre and Pixi.
    Mike
    Rumor or not, carriersdo place bias on which phones to support and which phones to put on the backburner. It's a business decision, and a smart one. A phone company is going to push the latest and greatest hardware, not an update for a phone that barely gives them any subscribers.

With what resources they have, they will have them focus primarily on the updates for their flagship phones. The Pre Plus could eventually see the update, but not while Android 2.2 is all the rage, and certainly not while the Droid is their bread and butter.

Rumors like this are indeed good, if only because it raises an awareness of the need to support existing technology and good customer relations. It is the primary reason why the media in the country, while despised, has the freedoms that it has. They stir stuff up.

If no one speaks up, no one cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    To be fair to AT&T, they have a long history of carrying and promoting Palm phones from the early Treo 600, 650, Centro, 750, with the exception of the Treo Pro.

AT&T's excusivity with the iphone has about ran its course. I would look for them to kick up promotion of Android in the nexy few months. Plus they have very good upgrade prices on the Pre and Pixi.
    True, but in the smartphone world, those phones were supported generations ago. When discussing smartphones it's all about the here and now.

You don't get points for being the nice guy a long time ago. Besides, when ATT supported those devices, Palm was at the top of it's game. It still had it's slice of the business market.

Not so anymore. ATT and Verizon have abandoned Palm at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Who the heck is Phonenews.com so that we should take their word as gospel, (or talmud, or Koran or the writings of your choice)? Anfd why would Verizon or Palm fell obligated to tell them anything?
    Very good point. This quote from the article,

"However, today Verizon noted to PhoneNews.com that there is no public status available for webOS 1.4.5 on the Pre Plus. Only the Pixi Plus has been updated to webOS 1.4.5, despite indications to the contrary from Palm and Verizon previously"

sounds like the same canned response anyone would get if they called up Verizon.
    Mike
    Strikerage,

What you say is true, but when media make up things to get press, they hurt their product in ways which actually cause harm. (See Shirley Sharrod).

If this proves to be true, I'll be among the first to move all of my family over to a different carrier. But if this is true, there should be an official statement from Verizon. This is what they implied. Where is the press release, or at leas the name of the Verizon official who had the authority to say this?

If it's true, it more than us users who will be upset. What about all of the developers who will not be able to sell product. (Angry Birds, anyone?)
    Let's wait till monday or tuesday and see if any of the mainline blogs pick up on this one....or not.
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Strikerage,

What you say is true, but when media make up things to get press, they hurt their product in ways which actually cause harm. (See Shirley Sharrod).

If this proves to be true, I'll be among the first to move all of my family over to a different carrier. But if this is true, there should be an official statement from Verizon. This is what they implied. Where is the press release, or at leas the name of the Verizon official who had the authority to say this?

If it's true, it more than us users who will be upset. What about all of the developers who will not be able to sell product. (Angry Birds, anyone?)
    I agree, bad, false press can do more harm than good. But we're talking about the phone carriers here. They are the controllers of the different communications spectrums in America. If I had to accept false, hurtful press placed upon any organization, it would be on the phone carriers in america.

They are bloodsuckers. More bad press for them means better service to us.
    Rumors..rumors...rumors..
    Verizon just released their most popular phones as of right now. The droid x, droid 2, and the soon to come samsung fascinate. So their pretty busy with these phones and these updates (since android is glorified on verizon) sooner or later, us pre pus owners will be getting the update. Its not a major update hence the reason why verizons lagging on it. I'm sure 2.0 will be right on time since its such a big update. And I don't think the next webOS phone will be coming to Verizon. Sprints customers have been waiting much longer, and it would just make much more sense to release it to sprint. Verizons more of a android carrier, as sprint holds many varaties.
    I dont want a pixi. I just want my pre plus to have 1.4.5
    Why has Verizon Forsaken us?