• >10 years

5 41.67%
  • >4 years

6 50.00%
  • <2 years

1 8.33%
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I am trying to see if i can use my pre as an old school modem with my computer (like the bluetooth modems used to be) where I can dial into a phone number and communicate with some ancient equipment. (We are using Cisco VOIP now :*( )

If any of you guys think this is possible with the Pre, please tell me; if not then if you have a good suggestion please tell me.

Maybe Classic????
    on vz we used to just dial #777 but I haven't tried it with the Pre
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I'd have to connect it to my computer as a phone as modem first. Hats what I can't figure out how to do
    So, why would you want to do this exactly? Perhaps you haven't encountered the tethering capabilities? There are some official and some unofficial. Connection to the computer can be USB, Bluetooth, or wifi.

See here for starters: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...light=mytether
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I have a campbell scientific logger with a com300 modem attached to the logger which is my only means of communication with the logger.

I need to dial into it at 555 5555 and up/download data. I have yet to see a way to communicate with this over the net. I need to dial into it. I am not connecting two computers. I am in a situation where the logger does not get on the net....now if anybody in florida has an sc32b cable or an ethernet module for campbell sciences equipmnt then would you be willing to let me borrow it?

thanks for your post jbg.
    i don't need it, but i would love if I could use my pre as a modem (I could check out a few BBSes while on the train )

On a quick search I did find this thread that may be of some use: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ering-dun.html

Yet another thing to add to my list of 'do more research when I get time'.
    Totally and utterly awesome. You, sir, have geek cred.

Okay, so now that I understand your problem better, I think you're not going to be able to get the Pre to do that. It seems like there should be a way. I think a few years ago many cell phones could actually do this (but probably at speeds no higher than 2400 bps). But I don't know that they can anymore.

What you might be able to do is dial the number with your Pre and use the headset jack to transfer analog sound to something else on your computer that would then do the modem part. I just don't know what that something else is. I suppose you could rig something up with a regular modem, ie connect directly to the proper wires on the phone jack, but I don't know about the voltage differences between the phone line and the headset output.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Seems like there should be such a thing as a modem that connects to the headset of a cell phone, but I think you would be the only one who would use it these days.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer