Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Hey Everybody,

Well, I walked into the Verizon store needing a new phone to replace my 3 year old Blackberry Pearl. To be honest, I fully expected to come away with an Android phone of some kind. I was thinking Incredible or Motorola Droid. When I handled both of those phones in the store, I wasn't impressed. The Android operating system seems good, and I was pretty sure that I could get used to it (I'm a bit of an old geek), but neither of the phones really moved me enough to spend the money and tie myself to Verizon for another two years, especially with Verizon's semi new policy of the $350 early termination fee. To be honest, there is always that 800 gorilla, the iPhone in the background lurking.

So not seeing a phone I thought I could live with for two years, and not seeing one I could commit to for two years, I decided to leave the store. On the way out I saw the Palm Pre Plus. I picked it up, looked at it, and then remembered that I'd wanted one last year when they were released on Sprint, but was kind of turned off by some of the reviews at the time (and the prospect of Palm going under and Google and Android rising, and Verizon getting the iPhone, yada yada yada). To be honest, what sealed the deal for me was the fact that I could get the phone for a year, for cheap, and then, if need be, be out of my contract and defect to ATT for the 4th or 5th Generation iPhone if they turn out to be the greatest things since sliced bread.

So I bought the Pre, came home, and geek that I am, immediately got on the net to find out more about the phone (kind of backwards, I know). I found a good review on cnet, and of course this great community. Because of the people here I found out about the Radio Shack accessory deals (Picked up 3 Touchstones, two car chargers, a leather case, and some screen protectors.). Of course mixed feelings about the sale. On the one hand I saved a lot of money, but on the other hand, Radio Shack (and maybe Best Buy?) seem to be dropping the Pre. I thought long and hard about that, but came to the conclusion that I don't really care if my phone is popular, or even still on the market, as long as it does what I need it to do. (And in the worst case senario, I could go back to my Blackberry or, gasp, even my LG8300 to play out my contract.)

Of course it would be great to have a phone popular enough to attract the developers that Android and iPhone do (would love an Audible app or a Kindle app), but I hear cool things about the whole Homebrew thing and will be looking into that.

What does concern me is the reports of various hardware and/or software problems: the oreo thing; Music player not working correctly after the last update, problems with the on/off switch, etc. All of the little things that seem to go unfixed when a phone isn't one of the more popular ones, or the company (now HP) decides to go in another direction. I have no doubt that HP will keep WebOS going, it really is a great operating system, but I don't know where that leaves Palm and me as an owner of a Pre.

By the way, I bought the Pre Plus without knowing about the free mobile hotspot thing. Very cool.

So this very long first post is to introduce myself. I'm an old guy (late 50s) who has had computers since the early 80s (RIP Kaypro.) I lurked for a couple of days, then joined up. A really great community. I still don't know if I'll keep the the Pre, I've had it now 4 days, but so far I'm loving it. Just some thoughts and concerns.

Thanks for the great community,
    JD
    Hi JD and Welcome to the P|C forums and to your newest addiction!

Great first post!

Without seeming too much like a Pre evangelist, I truly believe you will be extremely happy with your decision to go with the Pre and webOS! To address your questions/concerns about hearing all of the 'issues' the device suffers from (ie: 'oreo' thing, music player problems, issues after updates, etc...) - no matter what device and/or operating system you go to, you will find the same gripes. No matter the forum, be it us, android, apple, etc... there will always be people saying "this" doesn't work now, or "that" is giving me problems suddenly.... its the same all over.

Yes, the Pre had an issue with an "oreo" effect when it was first introduced, but current models have taken care of this and have great sliders without this issue. There have been minor issues with quirks after updates, but these are fixed quickly. Palm has a track record of releasing an update every month and half (approx) and has always improved the webOS experience with each. Palm has always been the small, scrappy company trying something new and exciting... webOS is definitely no exception!

If you want the full experience, the first thing everyone here will tell you is to install Preware on your device and play with all of the Patches and Homebrew apps and themes available. Unlike other OS's, you really cannot "brick" your Pre. If you ever screw things up and want to go back to the way it was, you can simply run an application called the Doctor and take your device back to factory settings. How great is that?!

Again, welcome to the forums and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    welcome!

personally i think with the acquisition by HP, palm and webOS will be around for a good while.

personally i haven't had any ptoblems with the oreo (have a day 1 pre on sprint). the music player is working fine for me as well. i have had problems with the on/off switch ...mine isn't working:P

yeah the community here is great!
    many have confused the original oreo problem (which was real) with having enough play for the slider to work.

they keep twisting it to 'check for oreo' and can only expect a self-fulfilling prohecy. Remember the springs on flip phones? If they were too tight, they couldn't close. Over time they got looser with use. May people snapped their phone open and shut as a nervous habit, and the wore out faster than needed.

inspect your phone carelly right now. Gently check to see if it can trwist more that a tiny bit (its plastic, it will always have play). Best test is to push down on the gesture are when the slider is open. It shouldn't move. If there is no gap there, you don't have oreo.

if your phone isn't perfect at this moment. Exchange it right away. If it is perfect, never try to twist it again, and realize that moving parts wear and losen over time. I love my VZ Pre, and I predict you will too. Let us know how we can help...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 06/01/2010 at 05:28 PM.
    Welcome to another old Kaypro owner! We may be the only two late fifties Pre owners who also had Kaypros. (Mine was later in the 1980s -- 8 MHZ, 640 K RAM, 20 MG hard drive.)

Some of us have owned our Sprint Pres for nearly a year without problems (no oreo and no power button problems). I don't use the music player much, so I can't speak to a music app problem. There is a music remix homebrew app that you may want to try out.

As HelloNNNewman said, you'll want to load WebOS Quick Install and Preware and try out homebrew apps and patch to make your Pre your own.
    Scene That- Welcome to the land of real geek heads!

I am an old Winmo user that had a lot of your same trepidations. The community here is fantastic. Let me give a a big shout out for Preware, because you will go crazy not wanting to customize things your own way.

If you were looking more for an Apple experience there a lot of things that you can do to increase that. One frustration I had was wanting to sync things up like itunes. I have found that Double Twist fits the bill nicely.

Hope you stay and enjoy the new found freedom.

CC
    welcome
    I'm 57 and launch day owner of Sprint Pre. Still thrilled with this phone. The Uber and Govnah overclock is my most recent thrill. I brag about this phone to everyone. I go into Verizon and Sprint stores and tell the salespeople that this is the greatest phone ever and that they should get to know them and sell them to everyone.
    Welcome SceneThat. I too am a new member here waiting for my phone to arrive and already bought a ton of accessories like you. I was nervous about the same things that you were worried about but lurking on the forum for about a month and reading up on patches, homebrew, 3rd party apps seemed to alleviate some of my concerns enough for me to order my pre plus.

The community here is great, everyone here is extremely nice and eager to help with whatever problems or questions you may have. I'll have my phone on Thursday and in the meantime got the files and software ready on my pc to load up on the Pre when it gets here.

Again, welcome to P/C
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Amazing response from all of you. I saw all of your responses and wanted to get off a reply before everyone began to think I had run for the hills, never to be heard from again. It's been one of those days where a million things seem to come up. I'm just about to leave home to pick up my dog from the groomer. Will get off a more detailed response when I get back.

Bit of a Side note: Just returned from my yearly physical. My doctor saw my phone and asked, "What kind of phone is that?" I found myself not only telling him what it was, but letting him know about many of the features. I think I might be hooked!

Thanks again. Talk to you soon.
    JD
    Quote Originally Posted by SceneThat View Post
    Amazing response from all of you. I saw all of your responses and wanted to get off a reply before everyone began to think I had run for the hills, never to be heard from again. It's been one of those days where a million things seem to come up. I'm just about to leave home to pick up my dog from the groomer. Will get off a more detailed response when I get back.

Bit of a Side note: Just returned from my yearly physical. My doctor saw my phone and asked, "What kind of phone is that?" I found myself not only telling him what it was, but letting him know about many of the features. I think I might be hooked!

Thanks again. Talk to you soon.
    JD
    You are in trouble now! Lol You have just entered the webOS Twilight Zone, and rest assured you won't be leaving any time soon.
    Here is some info to help you along the way.
    Welcome to PreCentral the premier forum for webOS. You can learn more tips and tricks here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ps-tricks.html

If you'd like to add more ringtones or create you own take a stop by here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...own-music.html and if you'd like to find some cool wallpaper for your phone, stop in here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...r-gallery.html

As you may know we have a very stong homebrew community here which will allow you to customize you phone with Themes and Patches and Homebrew Apps. When you're ready to delve a liitle farther into your phones capabilities, jump in here:http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes and Preware here:http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2040315

One of the things you will need to learn along the way is how to economize your power. You can get battery tips here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...life-tips.html

We even have a general guide for Newbies, right here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html

You can find anything you want here. Here's how: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...recentral.html

If you ever need help or have questions don't be afraid to ask. Again welcome to PreCentral and enjoy your phone!

P.S. And just to give you a taste of it's power, I created this post on my Pre.
    Last edited by vza33; 06/01/2010 at 09:27 PM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Welcome. We are glad to have you here. However, I think the real important question here is.

Why was sliced bread so great?

Welcome aboard the Pre-addiction and P|C train! It's like the Hotel California...you can enter but you can never leave...heh. As everyone else has said, please feel free to ask questions! We like to help.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    OK, another day with the Palm Pre. Have been over to Radio Shack and bought another Touchstone (my 3rd). These little chargers are great. I have one on my desk, one on the nightstand, and now one in the car. I've basically bought out all of the remaining Pre supplies from my local RS. To date: 3 Touchstones, 2 car chargers, 1 leather case, 1 pack of screen protectors (don't much like these. They were easy to put on, but don't cover the entire front of the phone and since I don't know what I'm doing, they look horrible with little bubbles everywhere. I took it off.) I also went over to AT&T and picked up a plastic case. The price of accessories, even at discounted prices, is fast approaching the price of the phone. Might be in over my head here!

As for the phone, I'm pretty much loving it. I have to say that it's taking longer than I thought to get used to the keyboard. Coming from the Blackberry Pearl, a phone which also has a very small keyboard, I thought I would not have a problem typing on the Pre. But the feel of the keys on the Blackberry is better, and the phones ability to "guess" the words you type made for a much more pleasant typing experience The Pre, especially with the ATT case attached, is way more difficult to type on. For the present I've taken off the case and might return it. How long does it usually take to get used to the keyboard?

The Pre looks so good, it's a shame to use a case at all. But I'm thinking that if I leave it "naked," the front of the phone, including the screen, will scratch. I take great care of my stuff, but there is always the occasional accident.

I haven't yet gotten to the Preware stuff yet. Gonna see if I can get around to that tonight.

I used a program called DoubleTwist (I owe you a thanks Count Cellular), and was able to put a bunch of music onto my Pre. This might be my imagination, but the sound of my music from the Pre sounds better than when that same music is played from my iPod Touch. Go figure.

So at this point I'm wondering if there are any tricks to using the keyboard, or does it just take time to get used to it. I'm also wondering about protection of the phone itself, so if anyone wants to advise me on that I'd appreciate it (I'm going through the accessory forum to try to figure out which is the best case and or protector for the Pre.)

That's it for now. So far I'm happy with my decision. I'm going to return the car charger I bought from Verizon (don't need it now that I've gotten the RS deal). It will be tempting to have a look at the Androids, and I will do so, but the Pre is a really good device. It really should be more widely know outside of the tech community.

JD
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    By the way, Johnny Pre. Though I'm not quite old enough to remember the invention of sliced bread, I hear that before the invention of the slice, people had one heck of a time making a decent sandwich. I'm not saying that's true. I'm just sayin'.

JD
    your best bet for a "full coverage" screen protector will be ZAGG, Phantom, etc. They cover the corners. Be sure you watch the installation video before trying. it cuz the corners are a pain.

But, over the next few days bubbles disappear like magic. The material they use it almost impossible to scratch, too.

Also, don't forget the "buy an app day" in Sunday. That's a grass-roots idea somebody came up with the celebrate the 1-year anniversary of the Pre by supporting app developers. I plan to buy several. I hope everyone does that... so it will have maximum impact and perhaps some press coverage...

EDIT: I picked up a full body ZAGG at Best Buy for $8 over the weekend. I already have one, but that's 1/3 of the normal price. They were selling the front-only zagg for over $20, but the full-body version was on sale for $8... I had to grab it at that price so I always have one on hand in the event that I have to order a warranty replacement for it (They only charge for shipping).
    Quote Originally Posted by SceneThat View Post
    By the way, Johnny Pre. Though I'm not quite old enough to remember the invention of sliced bread, I hear that before the invention of the slice, people had one heck of a time making a decent sandwich. I'm not saying that's true. I'm just sayin'.

JD
    Actually, the invention of sliced bread was no big deal. It was just a natural progress from inventing the bread slicer... now THAT was a groundbreaking invention...
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Welcome . As you can already tell, the people here are extrememly helpful and very friendly. It is very easy to find an answer to any question you may have. I just wanted to comment on the keyboard. It probably took me a good week or so to really get used to the keyboard. Now that I'm used to it though, i can type pretty fast on it and rarely make mistakes. If you can get used to it with a case, I would probably do that. I'm on my second pre. I never got a case for the first one I had, and even though it was still in pretty "new" condition, I could find all the little imperfections in it. I bought a case from verizon when I got my second one. The only time I take it off is when I need to plug it into the computer. (I can't get the usb cover off with the case still on). If you're worried about oreo, which I don't think is really too much of a problem anymore anyways, a good case with rails will help with that. Well, have fun with the phone. There always seems to be something new to learn about it
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Thanks for the ZAGG recommendation. Some day someone will come up with one of these skins that goes on easily. That person will rule the world. (OK. Maybe a slight exaggeration.)

That "buy an app day" is a very good idea. I'm going to grab a couple before then, but will be sure to save something for Sunday.

JD
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    There is a best buy near me, and near the Verizon store. I'll return the car charger and then drop by Best Buy.

Thanks Cantaffordit,

JD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast