Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As for the keyboard, at some point you just have to trust your touch, then after a while it will become intuitive.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by SceneThat View Post
    As for the phone, I'm pretty much loving it. I have to say that it's taking longer than I thought to get used to the keyboard. Coming from the Blackberry Pearl, a phone which also has a very small keyboard, I thought I would not have a problem typing on the Pre. But the feel of the keys on the Blackberry is better, and the phones ability to "guess" the words you type made for a much more pleasant typing experience The Pre, especially with the ATT case attached, is way more difficult to type on. For the present I've taken off the case and might return it. How long does it usually take to get used to the keyboard?

So at this point I'm wondering if there are any tricks to using the keyboard, or does it just take time to get used to it. I'm also wondering about protection of the phone itself, so if anyone wants to advise me on that I'd appreciate it (I'm going through the accessory forum to try to figure out which is the best case and or protector for the Pre.)

JD
    Sounds like you are becoming a Pre junkie. Welcome aboard!

As long as you can press the individual keys you will get accustomed to the keyboard. Use whatever technique suits you. I find myself using my thumbnails to press keys (they are not at all long, but I get better tactile feedback that way). I realized that it's the same way I use my Blackberry keyboard as well.

If I let the keyboard rotate very slightly (left or right) in my hands as I press the keys , they are easier to accurately press.

Hope that helps.

C
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Read the lead story on the front page of PreCentral. Reminded me of a line from my favorite movie: It appears that destiny has taken a hand. I guess the app train for the Pre will now come to a halt. Unbelievable how things have changed.

I took my generic micro usb car charger back to Verizon. While there I had a look at the Droid and the Droid Incredible. Funny, after my time with the Pre keyboard, I had no problem whatsoever typing on the Droid keyboard. The keys felt spacious. From my limited experience with the WebOS, and even more limited experience with the Android system, I definitely like WebOS more. But the Androids continue to have apps in development and it appears, unless I'm wrong, that HP/Palm is pretty much going to abandon the the Pre and the entire smartphone market.

I'm not quite back where I started. I know that I don't want any other phone that Verizon currently offers. If I were to give up the Pre, I'd go back to my Blackberry, with no contract, and wait for the next great thing to come along.

No real point to this post. Just venting, or typing out loud or something.

JD
    Hurd clarified his statements in another interview (see today's homepage). I think he was trying to emphasize that HP is looking out stuff BESIDES just a phone. I don't think he meant to imply HP was going to kill the phone. I expect they'll make this clear soon.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I'm definitely going to keep my Pre. Whatever HP is going to do, that's what they will do. This is a very good phone RIGHT NOW and with the free hot spot from Verizon, it's a great deal. I'm even getting used to the keyboard. If the body holds up for a year, I will be one happy camper. If it doesn't, then I'll keep getting replacements until the year is up. (Having said that, I was wondering if I should get the Verizon insurance. Where do people stand on that? I have 30 days to decide.)

As for apps, with the official ones and the homebrew ones, I think I'll be well taken care of. It's funny. About two years ago I bought an ipod touch. I loaded every app I could, (mostly free). But when it comes down to it, I use very few of these apps. I would love to have dropbox and 1password, the Kindle app, and Audible on my Pre, but the lack of these apps aren't deal breakers, not even close. I have my Touch which I can use with the Pre hot spot. I'm set.

Again, this is a great community. If I hadn't found it, I might have bailed on the Pre by now. Thanks you.

JD
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    OK, it happened. After a little over a week I'm good enough on the Pre keyboard to not want to throw it against the wall because I sent to soon while typing a text message. A real breakthrough.

JD
    OK, it happened. After a little over a week I'm good enough on the Pre keyboard to not want to throw it against the wall because I sent to soon while typing a text message. A real breakthrough.

JD
    Congrats! You will only get better from here.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"

JD
    LOL. There is a virtual keyboard you can add to the Pre on the screen but it wasn't for me, preferred the physical one. On Screen Keyboard - WebOS Internals & http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ancements.html

Have you started patching your phone at all yet?

-
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Haven't done the patch thing yet. I guess I've been too chicken. Hope to get around to it when I work up the nerve.

I'm loving my Pre. The keyboard suddenly became very good. I hardly make mistakes at all now. In fact, I was going to download a virtual one, but decided that I really don't need it. Love a physical keyboard.

Haven't posted in a while, but did do a post over in the Bluetooth forum. I'm finding out that people are having a hard time hearing me when I use my Plantronics Voyager Pro. In fact a couple of times the person on the other end has hung up thinking that I'm no longer on the phone (Even though their phone says I'm still connected, and I can hear them just fine.) I'm still within my 30 day return period, so the Pre might have to go back. I'm hoping someone in the Palm Pre Bluetooth forum will have a solution, otherwise I'm going to go over to Verizon later today and see if they can fix or replace my Pre with one that works with my bluetooth. The Voyager Pro is the only bluetooth I've used that works for me (I'm thinking because I need a boom mic for my abnormally large, Jay Leno chin of a head). Poor bluetooth coordination would be a deal breaker for me. Darn it all! Really like this phone.

JD
    There is a patch that makes the return key jump to the next line in the text message instead of sending it. That one's a real lifesaver for me!

JD
    Welcome to precentral.net! Yeah, they have a patch (Enter Key for New Line) that causes the enter button to insert a new line instead of sending the text message. Very helpful in preventing accidentally sending a text message by mistake while typing. I think my launch day Pre was sent from the future, no oreo or any other problems, running Preware with many patches including the Govnah/Uber-Kernel and still love using my Pre.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    The whole patch thing is really tempting, but let me get one thing confirmed. If I do the patches and something goes wrong with my Pre, I can get rid of the patches, etc if I need to take the phone back to Verizon, or send it to Palm, right? I'm just a little queazy about doing the patch stuff.

JD
    Yeah, Preware has a utility that will remove all of your patches if so desired.

Read up on Preware here:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:Preware
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Actually, the invention of sliced bread was no big deal. It was just a natural progress from inventing the bread slicer... now THAT was a groundbreaking invention...
    Perhaps that should read the invention of PRE-sliced bread?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    If you like your Pre now, wait till you overclock and patch it. Welcome!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I'm definitely going to keep my Pre. Whatever HP is going to do, that's what they will do. This is a very good phone RIGHT NOW and with the free hot spot from Verizon, it's a great deal. I'm even getting used to the keyboard. If the body holds up for a year, I will be one happy camper. If it doesn't, then I'll keep getting replacements until the year is up. (Having said that, I was wondering if I should get the Verizon insurance. Where do people stand on that? I have 30 days to decide.)

As for apps, with the official ones and the homebrew ones, I think I'll be well taken care of. It's funny. About two years ago I bought an ipod touch. I loaded every app I could, (mostly free). But when it comes down to it, I use very few of these apps. I would love to have dropbox and 1password, the Kindle app, and Audible on my Pre, but the lack of these apps aren't deal breakers, not even close. I have my Touch which I can use with the Pre hot spot. I'm set.

Again, this is a great community. If I hadn't found it, I might have bailed on the Pre by now. Thanks you.

JD
    scenetheat, first off welcome! there is a dropbox app in the app catalog called dropboxify

hope this helps

i wish we had audible support as well...soon i hope!

enjoy your pre+ !
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    Perhaps that should read the invention of PRE-sliced bread?
    Oh Pre humor... classic
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Yep. Gotta love that Pre humor. By the way, I posted this in my other thread. I did a soft reset and don't know if it is coincidence, but I'm I had about 15 calls today and no problems with my Voyager Pro bluetooth (I asked all callers). Have no idea what's up with that, but but for now problem solved. For the next few days I will continue to be a pain in the **** by asking people I talk to if they can hear me OK, (if they can hear me now). but for now all is well in Pre bluetooth land.

JD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12