1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I have multiple patches, and home brew apps (no themes) installed. At some point in time, my Sprint Telenav stopped being able to get a GPS signal and Google Maps is slow too (unsure if this accesses the GPS on the device or just data). Has anyone ever borked their GPS?

I am going to go thru the arduous process of uninstalling/unpatching till I get it fixed, but just curious.

Thanks all,

HOMEBREW ROCKS!
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i have 40 patches and several hombrew apps installed and just used my Sprint TeleNav today and it got me right to the door of the address.

good luck with your process of elimination
    <<Thread renamed>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    This issue is not usually related to any patch you may have. I think you will find that none of your patches are causing this. I am sure you have restarted your device a few times by now. I have 50+ patches, and have no problem with my nav, either Sprint, Google maps, or the home brew Navit working, I have had occasion where Sprint nav tells me it can't get a fix, so I open Navit and it gets a signal then I go back to the Sprint Nav, and voila! Hope you figure it out.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    im having this problem too. somtimes opening google maps will help it get a fix on where im @, but 90% of the time it cant find me. i also have multiple patches/homebrew, so im not sure where things went wrong. this has only started in the last week or so tho.
    You can use my app to help troubleshoot. Search for "NiceGPS" in the app catalog.

It has adjustable accuracy/speed in Preferences.

i've noticed that GPS seems to work a lot better (faster, and even more accurate) when I have a good data connection. Not sure why.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    You can use my app to help troubleshoot. Search for "NiceGPS" in the app catalog.

It has adjustable accuracy/speed in Preferences.

i've noticed that GPS seems to work a lot better (faster, and even more accurate) when I have a good data connection. Not sure why.
    Good luck!
    Having said that, Navit works without a data connection and works as a stand alone GPS option with 'on device' maps, and it works very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jakelaw View Post
    Having said that, Navit works without a data connection and works as a stand alone GPS option with 'on device' maps, and it works very well.
    If I try to launch sprint navi without data or wifi on, I get an error: A data connection is required but not currently available.

If I launch with data, then shut it off (to simulate driving in a dead spot between towers), it does not display any on device maps.

I always assumed it requires a constant data stream to display maps, just like google maps.

...If you input a route, does it download all the maps along that path? I tried to test this, but without a gps fix, I could not. It is raining outside, no thanks.
    with Sprint Nav and Google Maps, you have to have a data connection because the maps are not stored on the device. sometimes it looks like you don't need a connection, because the device caches the maps. Thsi is another reason why i like tha Navit solution. maps are native to the device so no data connection is needed.
    Two things I do when my Pre's GPS is wonky:

(1) In the Preferences of the Phone application is an option to "Update PRL". This updates the Preferred Roaming List, which tells the phone which towers it should talk to, and the towers are used for the aGPS. (FYI, Device Info shows that my current Sprint PRL to be 60665.)

(2) Reboot the Pre using ORANGE-Sym-R
    Last edited by derhooner; 06/04/2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Add current PRL info