Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

At this stage in the game we are all familiar with the perceived flaws/shortcomings of the Palm Pre, especially in regard to it's hardware. We have seen a plethora of threads over time that have discussed everything from terrible battery life to oreo effect to the overall cheap feel of the plastic. However, there don't seem to be many (if at all) threads/discussions about what Palm did right and what they should consider continuing in the next iteration(s) of the device. So I wanted to start a bit of a dialogue about that subject to see what you all think they got right. This is not a thread about WebOS, though. I envision it being more of a diatribe about the hardware of the device.

Here's my short list of things they did right and should keep moving forward (I'll try to list them in order):

1. THE GESTURE AREA. Honestly, this is my favorite aspect of the phone. I use it extensively. In fact, I can't imagine using a device without it ever again. It's one of those things that I think we all know is great, but it hardly makes headlines or is mentioned when discussing how easy it is to navigate WebOS. It makes transitioning from one app to another or one screen to another seamless and effortless. Needless to say, I hope Palm/HP decide to continue this design in future mobile devices. I feel it's a must that they leave it unchanged moving forward(unless they think of a way to make it even better).

2. THE TOUCHSTONE. Though not entirely related to the actual hardware of the Pre, this is another design with which Palm has struck gold. You mean I can just walk into my home or office and simply drop the phone on this gadget and it'll start charging? I really don't have to mess with that flimsy USB flap? Yeah, it's that awesome! I remember a co-worker of mine marveling at it when I brought it to work for the first time. Even that other phone company (think red/green fruit) has commercials now for their version of the touchstone and, surely, they'll make everyone think they did it first.

3. SCREEN SIZE. I'm sure I'll get the most objection about this, but I actually like and prefer the screen and overall size of the Pre. I honestly would hate to have to carry around a bigger device. A few friends that have bigger phones, including that other phone (think red/green fruit), seem to like that the Pre is a little smaller and, therefore, less noticeable when carrying around in your pocket. I've never had a bigger phone and won't deny that my opinion may be affected by that, though.

I guess one could describe this as a wishlist of sorts. I could probably list a few more things, but these are the "biggies" to me.

Disclaimer: These are just my opinions. Nothing contained in this thread is fact or meant to represent fact in any way. For those who love negativity, you won't find that here, so keep it moving. The Pre is the best phone on the market . . . PERIOD.
    Last edited by THAANSA3; 06/01/2010 at 09:28 AM.
    What's Right With My Pre:

MULTI-TASKING - Actual, real, multi-tasking! Not "minimize a program and let it wait in limbo until I get back to it", but "Minimize a program and have it still running AND FUNCTIONING at the same time that I'm doing something else"!

SIZE - Okay, my eyes are getting older and I would like a bigger screen, but most programs allow me to pinch/squeeze to get a different screen size, so I'm okay.

PROGAMABILITY - Wow, you mean I can actually get into the operating system and change things around as I want? And the company trusts me to do this?!?

OVER-THE-AIR UPDATES - Is anyone else doing this - making the device better automatically?

CLOUD - Privacy issues aside, I like not having to worry about losing my stuff.

PALM COMMUNITY - You know what I mean.

APPEARANCE - Can a phone/mini-laptop be sexy?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    What's Right With My Pre:

MULTI-TASKING - Actual, real, multi-tasking! Not "minimize a program and let it wait in limbo until I get back to it", but "Minimize a program and have it still running AND FUNCTIONING at the same time that I'm doing something else"!

SIZE - Okay, my eyes are getting older and I would like a bigger screen, but most programs allow me to pinch/squeeze to get a different screen size, so I'm okay.

PROGAMABILITY - Wow, you mean I can actually get into the operating system and change things around as I want? And the company trusts me to do this?!?

OVER-THE-AIR UPDATES - Is anyone else doing this - making the device better automatically?

CLOUD - Privacy issues aside, I like not having to worry about losing my stuff.

PALM COMMUNITY - You know what I mean.

APPEARANCE - Can a phone/mini-laptop be sexy?
    Yeah, I tried to keep it just about the hardware, but you are right on all counts. I absolutely love the "sexy appeal" of the phone, I love the customization made possible by the Palm community over the air while I'm doing five other things, all updating in real time. It's just awesome!
    all of the above,

PLUS... Screen display, resolution, colors. WebOs sleek and elegant design, awesome calendar, memo pad, text messaging app, nice looking phone dialer... I can go on, but I'll leave some for others to post. ;-)
    GREAT thread! Thanks for starting this. In the days of seeing one Droid Incredible commercial after another, it's nice to read this and realize we have a HELL of a smart phone. I hate that others don't realize it to the depths that many (most) of us do on this forum. But in the end, you're right --- we have a lot RIGHT with this phone. Thanks again!
    the main thing that is right about my pre is this community.... there are some brilliant people here
    I agree with all above – the thing I like best about my pre plus is the homebrew community and WebOS Internals. They have given the palm phones a depth of user experience unlike any other phone on the market. The open architecture of WebOS is something that is often overlooked in the reviews when they speak of hardware, multitasking and synergy. The contributions of the creative members of the user community have added a new dimension to the smart-phone experience.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Notifications!! No one has it better!

Real multitouch. The only other machine ive seen do this correctly is the iPad. My iphone never did. Want to zoom and scroll around the page in any direction you want at the same time? Droid does't. Webos does.
    Quote Originally Posted by dz1262 View Post
    Notifications!! No one has it better!

Real multitouch. The only other machine ive seen do this correctly is the iPad. My iphone never did. Want to zoom and scroll around the page in any direction you want at the same time? Droid does't. Webos does.
    I never knew that about the behavior of multitouch on other devices.
    Everything except GPS.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Love this post!! Yes, this phone to me is damn sexy. I love the way it looks and feels and hope they don't lose that "smoothness".
    All the other items above too!
    Yup, gesture area and touchstone are keepers for me.

PS I love how so many posters here went ahead and commented about webOS even though OP wanted hardware-related opinions. Is it a sign that outside of the OS, people can't really think of much that Palm got right with the Pre... Or is it a sign that most people just skimmed the original post just go get down to the Quick Reply box? Hmmm....
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    For me the form factor is an A+. I will want a similar form factor and size for years to come. While the kb is not perfect, I still feel they got it right. The screen is also pretty darn good. Processor and even though it's not at the top in performance it still has alot of untapped potential. Gesture is also perfect, tho it could use more functions.

It's really the front half plastic that I don't care for, it needs to be tough and flexible like the TS back.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    Yup, gesture area and touchstone are keepers for me.

PS I love how so many posters here went ahead and commented about webOS even though OP wanted hardware-related opinions. Is it a sign that outside of the OS, people can't really think of much that Palm got right with the Pre... Or is it a sign that most people just skimmed the original post just go get down to the Quick Reply box? Hmmm....
    Yeah, that's precisely what I wanted to focus on. The operating system and the community are the best, but I felt we already know that. It's the hardware that's been maligned since day one, but I really never felt it was a complete disaster. I certainly don't attribute the lackluster sales to just the hardware shortcomings either. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I feel there were some good things about the hardware and I wanted to see if others felt the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    For me the form factor is an A+. I will want a similar form factor and size for years to come. While the kb is not perfect, I still feel they got it right. The screen is also pretty darn good. Processor and even though it's not at the top in performance it still has alot of untapped potential. Gesture is also perfect, tho it could use more functions.

It's really the front half plastic that I don't care for, it needs to be tough and flexible like the TS back.
    Bdog, I absolutely adore the form factor of the phone. I have read so many posts about the small screen being a negative, but I feel it's a strong positive, albeit subjective in viewpoint. There's no doubt that Palm will have to develop many different form factors to satisfy the many different tastes that people have, but I think I'll always stick with the form factor that is most similar to the Pre. I really love it that much.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    I really haven't had many significant complaints about the hardware. I love the size, shape, weight, feel, etc. No more oreo than I would expect with any similar slider (since the design allows a keybaord while preserving the full screen, I forgive it). Even my usb door lasted until yesterday...almost a year...and I think it broke after I dropped it without the leather case).

it could be louder (not sure if that's software or hardware), not get so warm and better battery life.

I realized my screen is cracked and very slowly spreading. I would have no problem getting another Pre for a replacement.

of course, the palm community is the most awesome which is why I stick with Palm OS with two Handspring Visors, three Sony Clies, my Palm TX and waited...and waited for the rumored new phone from Palm in 2009!
    I adore the ts back cover....it just overall makes the phone feel better. I also love the lcd notification light. It gives the phone a feel my old bb used 2 have...i could just look @ my phone w/o touching it and know exactly what's going on...great post btw
    I, too, love the form factor, size and weight of my Pre. I, personally, do not want a larger phone, and will hope that at least one of the models HP/Palm comes out with in the future is similar/the same as the Pre's. I haven't had any hardware issues, besides the the slight (very, very slight) oreo that one expects with a slider. And I really love having a portrait physical KB. Screen is definitely large enough for me (and I'm blind as a bat w/out my glasses), KB is fabulous for how I thumb-type, volume is just fine for me. I could go on, but you all get the idea...

Oh yeah: my avatar pic of my latest tatto was taken with my Pre, then cropped and enlarged and it's still a nice clear pic with fantastic colour reproduction.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    love the ink blaize... awesome color
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I, too, love the form factor, size and weight of my Pre. I, personally, do not want a larger phone, and will hope that at least one of the models HP/Palm comes out with in the future is similar/the same as the Pre's. I haven't had any hardware issues, besides the the slight (very, very slight) oreo that one expects with a slider. And I really love having a portrait physical KB. Screen is definitely large enough for me (and I'm blind as a bat w/out my glasses), KB is fabulous for how I thumb-type, volume is just fine for me. I could go on, but you all get the idea...

Oh yeah: my avatar pic of my latest tatto was taken with my Pre, then cropped and enlarged and it's still a nice clear pic with fantastic colour reproduction.
    Agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddfoutz View Post
    GREAT thread! Thanks for starting this. In the days of seeing one Droid Incredible commercial after another, it's nice to read this and realize we have a HELL of a smart phone. I hate that others don't realize it to the depths that many (most) of us do on this forum. But in the end, you're right --- we have a lot RIGHT with this phone. Thanks again!
    There are many good things about this phone and WebOS in general. That's undeniable. But the things that are wrong are so serious, that they overshadow everything that is right with it. That is unfortunate, but it's a fact. If the phone is not reliable at least as a phone, nothing else matters.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast