Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have been overclocking using Uberkernel and Govnah for a little over a week now. I have it set to run at 800Mhz all the time, but sadly, I don't seem to notice the incredible speed/performance increases that so many have talked about. Everything related to performance seems to be the same. Could it be my expectations were too high, or did I do something wrong in setting things up? Are there any tell-tale signs or actual stress tests that I can use to confirm an increase? Any commentary would be appreciated.

P.S. On a "happier" note, I have noticed no heating issues (including on the touchstone), nor have I seen any extra battery drainage.
    "In fact, there is no Uberkernel. The hordes of admirers, the tons of patches, this forum - we faked it all as en experiment in human psychology. In fact, your highness, your real name is Edward Belcher, you're from Long Island, New York, and it's time to go home, Eddie."
    are you sure it's on? you have to use Govnah and adjust the settings. And if you turn off the phone or reset it you have to redo the settings again
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    "In fact, there is no Uberkernel. The hordes of admirers, the tons of patches, this forum - we faked it all as en experiment in human psychology. In fact, your highness, your real name is Edward Belcher, you're from Long Island, New York, and it's time to go home, Eddie."
    Thanks for adding nothing of value to the discussion.
    Best way to prove it is to do what many, many alpha/beta testers did before the original kernel was released - remove Uber Kernel (or Super Pre Kernel) and time (using a stopwatch) how long it takes apps to open - how long it takes the phone to boot - how long it takes websites to load etc.

Then try it again with the 800mhz setting active. There's a whole mountain of previous statistics and test results proving that it works - but sometimes it's good to test things for yourself and see it with your own eyes.
    My son has a Pre that is not overclocked, and when we did a side by side test, he said "I want that."
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    are you sure it's on? you have to use Govnah and adjust the settings. And if you turn off the phone or reset it you have to redo the settings again
    Yes, Warblad, I made sure everything was on before posting. I read about it extensively before even putting anything on my device. ti guess that may be why I was expecting so much.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    Best way to prove it is to do what many, many alpha/beta testers did before the original kernel was released - remove Uber Kernel (or Super Pre Kernel) and time (using a stopwatch) how long it takes apps to open - how long it takes the phone to boot - how long it takes websites to load etc.

Then try it again with the 800mhz setting active. There's a whole mountain of previous statistics and test results proving that it works - but sometimes it's good to test things for yourself and see it with your own eyes.
    I hear you. I have tried it using the default setting and then overclocking it immediately afterward, but I can't say I have seen a huge difference. I really would hate completely removing it just for the purpose of testing it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    My son has a Pre that is not overclocked, and when we did a side by side test, he said "I want that."
    Quote Originally Posted by PreG8ter View Post
    I hear you. I have tried it using the default setting and then overclocking it immediately afterward, but I can't say I have seen a huge difference. I really would hate completely removing it just for the purpose of testing it, though.
    You're right though - I think perhaps you were expecting a big difference. Remember when it was released we were all using an older firmware version which was slower, so perhaps the difference was more apparent to us (assuming you're a fairly new Pre owner here).
    There is not only a noticable difference, but a measurable one.

However, keep in mind that it's only a upgrade in the processing speed, it doesn't suddenly give the Pre more RAM, or make any other hardware upgrades. So if you're expecting a HUGE jump in preformance, then you'll probably be disapointed. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    just try the sunspider benchmark or whataer it's called
    I went back to the standard Kernel after a few battery problems and to be honest the slight lag that is the norm is hardly noticable, so I don't think I'll bother to go back for now.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I went back to the standard Kernel after a few battery problems and to be honest the slight lag that is the norm is hardly noticable, so I don't think I'll bother to go back for now.

Same here, in addition my phone app. became very buggy, not worth going back.
    Are there any tell-tale signs or actual stress tests that I can use to confirm an increase? Any commentary would be appreciated.
    Well, the first thing to check is whether Govnah is saying that you are running at 800 mhz. There's a little "Frequency" graph that shows you exactly what speed the CPU is currently clocked at.

If says 800 consistently, then it's very likely that everything is working as it's supposed to. Otherwise, there's a problem (did you reboot the phone after install?)
    nothing placebo about it... 800 makes my pre awesome....
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Far Side reference?

Anyways...I have been using the UberKernal 800 MHz as well as CPUScaler and also wondered about the "placebo-effect" until this past weekend. My brother has a Pre running at 500 MHz and the difference is incredible! He immediately wanted to run overclocked.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisott9628 View Post
    Far Side reference?

Anyways...I have been using the UberKernal 800 MHz as well as CPUScaler and also wondered about the "placebo-effect" until this past weekend. My brother has a Pre running at 500 MHz and the difference is incredible! He immediately wanted to run overclocked.
    I wish I knew someone else with a Pre so I could see a side-by-side comparison.
    I can tell a noticeable difference running my Pre at 800mhz. In fact I can tell a difference when it's oc'd to 600mhz.
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post

I agree with you on everything with the exception of the "how long it takes the phone to boot". The Uberkenrnel boots at 500MHz regardless of what setting you have it when you start the reboot process. This is done to ensure that your phone will boot correctly, or rather that a boot failure will not be caused by overclocking your CPU.

I believe the overclocked sticks during a luna restart though...

Interestingly enough -- I tried doing several luna restarts at various MHz settings and between 500 and 800 there was only about a 3 second difference in the restart times.
    I wish I knew someone else with a Pre so I could see a side-by-side comparison.
    I would be interested in seeing this too, but the problem with a "side-by-side" comparison is that there are so many factors that influence performance it would be difficult to achieve. The two phones would have to be identical (build from webOS doctor upto loading Uberkernel and Govnah), then it would be fair. Even if you took two videos of the same phone running at different speeds we would not be able to fully say the only difference is the kernel.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast