1.    #1  
    Good morning gang...

One time about 3 weeks ago, I had headphones on listening to music when the phone rang. I answered it and the person heard me just fine. So...after getting a new car stereo (thinking about how this would be nice to have), I connected to the aux jack and placed a phone call. I heard the person I was calling just fine, but they couldn't hear me at all. I disconnected the plug from the headphone jack and they could hear me again...plug it back in and they hear nothing.

So is there a patch I need? Is this some sort of problem with the phone? Is this something that works? I assumed it would since it worked with a set of headphones plugged in.

Thanks!
    The original headphones have a mic in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by gblack View Post
    Good morning gang...

One time about 3 weeks ago, I had headphones on listening to music when the phone rang. I answered it and the person heard me just fine. So...after getting a new car stereo (thinking about how this would be nice to have), I connected to the aux jack and placed a phone call. I heard the person I was calling just fine, but they couldn't hear me at all. I disconnected the plug from the headphone jack and they could hear me again...plug it back in and they hear nothing.

So is there a patch I need? Is this some sort of problem with the phone? Is this something that works? I assumed it would since it worked with a set of headphones plugged in.

Thanks!
    Did you use the same cable for your Aux input on the new car stereo that you used when it worked the first time, and I'm assuming you were saying in your post that you did do this before on a different car stereo??

Can you clear up your original post? I have a basic 3.5mm male to male plug and use my '06 Civic's Aux input, and as long as I tap the bottom left Audio icon during my call and choose "Wired Headset," I'm fine and the audio is routed through that wire instead of Bluetooth (if you have the hooked up) or Speaker, and plays through the car speakers. The other called can hear me and as long as I don't have the volume too loud, then I don't have any problems with the caller's own voice getting feedback resulting in echoing on their end. If the volume is too loud, the callers voice goes right back through the microphone.

I just use a bluetooth headset when I'm driving, or use the Pre's Speakerphone. I very rarely use the wired into Aux input for phone calls and just use it for music and Navigation when I need turn by turn directions.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I believe it depends on the AUX cable you're using. Check the plug, does it have 2 black bands or 3?

If it has three, it's telling the Pre that you're pluging in speakers AND a mic and since there is no mic no one will hear you. If it only has two, then it should function just like regular stereo headphones and you should be heard through the Pre mic.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I believe it depends on the AUX cable you're using. Check the plug, does it have 2 black bands or 3?

If it has three, it's telling the Pre that you're pluging in speakers AND a mic and since there is no mic no one will hear you. If it only has two, then it should function just like regular stereo headphones and you should be heard through the Pre mic.
    Yes, this makes sense. You need to buy Stereo male to male cables. That is the one with 2 black bands on it. These bands separate the left and right channels. If you look at the Headphone cable jack that came with the Pre, you will notice 3 black bands, so you have left, right, and the microphone.

It is rare to buy 3.5mm cables that are not either mono or stereo. I actually don't even know what the cables with 3 black bands on the Jack are called... They are out there, and maybe that is what you bought accidentally.
  6.    #6  
    I have it on the touchstone and don't want to fiddle with pulling the plug out of the top and then putting it back in. That isn't hands free then...

I used a head phone before and it worked. A plain old pair of headphones that you listen to music from.

I do not want to use the one that came with the Pre.

I put the pre on the stone in my car and stream music from Slacker. When a call comes in I want to answer and use the phone with the audio from the caller coming through the car stereo. I'll have to check out the wire later today to see if it has 2 or 3 wires. I think 2.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    This is a known issue and there have been other posts about it as well. Before 1.3.1 it worked great through car stereos using the aux plug, but 1.3.1 broke it and Palm has never fixed it. I've tried it through regular headphones too, and they work fine, but for some reason it won't work connected to the car aux. Sorry, but it's just the way it is right now. I went out and bought a Kensington Bluetooth adapter from Amazon for about $30 and it works great. It plugs into your cigarette lighter and then into the aux of your stereo. It will do calls, music, and navigation through the stereo. I always wished Palm would fix this issue but after four updates since, they haven't.
    You can use a Bluetooth headset while the aux jack, I do it all the time.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by fbcregan View Post
    This is a known issue and there have been other posts about it as well. Before 1.3.1 it worked great through car stereos using the aux plug, but 1.3.1 broke it and Palm has never fixed it.
    I suspect that Palm might argue with your "broke" opinion . I believe that the change was to make it consistent ... if something is plugged into the headphone jack, then webOS expects the audio input to come from a mic attached to those headphones. There are adapters that can add a mic to any audio output (like a regular set of headphones or your cars AUX audio) ... things like this:

Amazon.com: Griffin SmartTalk Headphone Adapter with Control and Mic for iPhone 1G: Cell Phones & Service
  10.    #10  
    I disagree...I can use regular headphones and there is no mic there so it doesn't expect that to have one.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I'm not sure how the Pre would know if there was a mic or not. There is a switch in the headphone jack to determine if headphones are plugged in and switches the behavior accordingly.

The best you could hope for would be the Pre microphone picking you up with Pre sounds through your headunit. There would be substantial noise and possible feedback this way. This is something that would not have been present with standard audio headphones since the person you were talking to would be isolated from the microphone.

You are trying to use the phone/headphone jack in a hybrid manner that I don't believe the phone was designed for.

Good luck. Maybe with some experimenting you will get there.
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    I'm not sure how the Pre would know if there was a mic or not. There is a switch in the headphone jack to determine if headphones are plugged in and switches the behavior accordingly.

The best you could hope for would be the Pre microphone picking you up with Pre sounds through your headunit. There would be substantial noise and possible feedback this way. This is something that would not have been present with standard audio headphones since the person you were talking to would be isolated from the microphone.

You are trying to use the phone/headphone jack in a hybrid manner that I don't believe the phone was designed for.

Good luck. Maybe with some experimenting you will get there.
    There was a time when the Pre definitely detected the difference between wired headset with a mic and just a stereo aux cable, and that reliably (at least for me). I know this because in addition to routing my voice to the mic on the front, the media and call volumes were also different: when I plugged in the aux cable, media volume when to full (where I left it), and when I plugged in my headset, media volume went to 3 where I left it. So the Pre treated them separately. I don't know how it detected the difference, but it did.

I don't know if the previous functionality was intended or not, but it was great. I don't know if the current functionality (assume all wired connections are headset) is intentional or if it's a bug. But adding a $10 adapter with a microphone (and button, which, incidentally works for pausing/skipping just like the button on the included headset) makes calling in the car work well for me.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Work around to in car speakerphone (since no one's making a patch for it)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dynex Microphone Headset for Select Music Mobile Phones

This adapter allows you to add a microphone to your standard stereo headphone jack so you can switch between music and calls on your Palm Pre.

http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...dxmp3ma_md.jpg

Works in my car perfectly and it's no more than 10 bucks at best buy. I found it in the Apple accessory area.
    Attached Thumbnails
    Email Attachment
    Vote for QuickOffice for Palm Pre!
    http://quickoffice.ideascale.com/a/dtd/21866-5219
    With regular headphones without a mic, you can talk into the Pre's mic to the caller and they can hear you. Now, if the phone is in your pocket, of course the caller won't hear you. If you are using headphones with the mic built in line where it is a few inches from your mouth, then there is no problem where the phone is.

Like I said before, I don't know what type of cable the originator of this post is using that goes from the Pre to the Car Stereo.
    I have an fm transmitter and when i recieve calls while listening to music on my Pre I am able to talk just fine. I purchased a cassete adapter to see if it could get clearer, when i recieve a call I have to hit the speaker button on the Pre to talk back and forth. Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    You can use a Bluetooth headset while the aux jack, I do it all the time.
    +1 for both.

Alternatively, after you connect, if you have all 3 connected, you can select where do you want the sound to go via the first button.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    My aux cable has 2 rings.. No good. The only way to get it to work is to plug in the cable, restart your pre, and bam!! not only does the audio work properly but now you have reached your destination..

I tried purchasing that mic adapter..the echo is horrible for the people on the other side of the line.. Ive tried lowering the volume but I might as well use my phone on Speaker. Someone wake me up when there is a patch to fix this...
    I listen to music in the car all the time with a cassette adapter, and just a couple of days ago I took a call from my wife using the car speakers and the Pre's microphone. She didn't like it, said I was too quiet, but it did work just fine.