1.    #1  
    I was on a trip and lost my Palm Pre, fortunately I had the Total Equipment Protection so I put that in place. Unfortunately, they never told me that IF the phone was recovered, I would have to send it back and the $100 is non-refundable! What the!

Even worse, the phone was just recovered by someone who returned it to nearby Sprint store.

What can I do?? I definitely dont want to pay the $100 but even worse, I definitely dont want to have to send back the original if I found it.

This TEP thing seems to be a rip-off and totally NOT worth it right now.

PLEASE HELP
    Wow, that's quite a story.

It's reasonable that you can't use the "lost" phone as a phone, because the ESN is invalidated as if it were stolen so that it can't be used. It's part of how they prevent theft by making stolen phones worthless to potential buyers.

I could imagine that you could still use it like an iPod touch... but if that ESN hits their network, they will assume that you are the thief. Once they find out it's you, then it looks like insurance fraud. I'm not defending this, btw - I just think this is how the system works.

I think your only recourse is to see if you can recover the phone from the Sprint store that has it. You can look over the insurance contract to see if you are "required" to return it. It's possible that there are alternatives if you don't try to use it as a phone.

I've never heard of someone finding a phone and taking it to a store. I would have thought they would try to call the owner or figure out how to reach the owner directly....

The good news is that you have a replacement, and you didn't have to pay full price for it. Still, I can understand your frustration... one for the books!
    TEP is a great program, its just unfortunate you did not fully understand the program. In the future, know the services you purchase, and how they work. I put this on the consumer...
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theblizzard2009 View Post
    TEP is a great program, its just unfortunate you did not fully understand the program. In the future, know the services you purchase, and how they work. I put this on the consumer...
    Have to disagree did they not take into consideration that the device may be found? What kind of stupid program puts in place a non refund for a situation like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Have to disagree did they not take into consideration that the device may be found? What kind of stupid program puts in place a non refund for a situation like this?
    if you don't agree with the programs policy & procedure, then you don't sign up for it. Its that simple.

it cost's money to process a claim, to do so they charge a flat rate deductible, non refundable.

Again, just know and understand the program BEFORE you sign up for it.
    try to send back the replacement and get a refund if it fails then take back the lost phone its yours not sprints and they can not act as a middle man. anyways if it fails and they what it back i will send it back in a million pieces. also lost or stolen phones can not be activated unless its done by the owner yes u can clear the esn but its also fraud since u got it replaced
    TEP is generally a love/hate relationship. However.....anything but following TEP rules is fraud (including sending back the phone in "a million pieces"). Once they have issued you a referb they can't just take it back as it would then need to be referbed again (if that's even permissible).

End of story.

<<Thread Closed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic