1.    #1  
    Hey everybody. I was just wondering if any of you are using webOS Quick Install with a netbook. I'm thinking about buying one (doesn't really matter which, pretty much the same specs all around) and was wondering how much slower it would be compared to this machine i'm using that is about 10 years old. So just give me your thoughts about webOSQI running your netbook. Thanks.
    I use it on my asus 1000HE, and it is fine. Sure, it may be a bit slower than my main desktop, but I do so little through WebOSQI. I usually am on preware.

Whenever asus puts out a new eee with a discrete switchable video card, 720p screen, HDMI out, and maintains similar battery life, I will move up yet again.
  3.    #3  
    I mean i'm on a pretty old Dell desktop with 512mb of ram and its acceptable so a netbook can't be much worse right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    I mean i'm on a pretty old Dell desktop with 512mb of ram and its acceptable so a netbook can't be much worse right?
    My netbook (acer aspire one) has a gig of ram and a 1.66ghz processor so if anything a new netbook would be better
  5.    #5  
    Yeah im shopping around now and the 1.66ghz intel atom processor, 1gb of ram, and 160-320gb hard drive are on pretty much all of them. Some higher end ones such as the HP mini 210 HD have an upgraded graphics card and HDMI out but thats about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    My Acer Aspire has 1 gb of ram, so I would say ... better.

Actually, I have WOSQI installed on my netbook, but I don't use it much. Instead, I usually use it on my "desktop" notebook.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    My Acer Aspire has 1 gb of ram, so I would say ... better.

Actually, I have WOSQI installed on my netbook, but I don't use it much. Instead, I usually use it on my "desktop" notebook.
    Haha yeah 512mb is pretty pathetic nowadays seeing as the pc upstairs has nearly twice the power as this one and 4gb of ram. Although the other day my dad and I tore apart an older machine and put its 256mb ram stick along side this 512mb and now I have a whopping 768mb!/sarcasm.

Anyways ways while ya'll are all here any recommendations on a personal netbook? I'm looking at either a HP or Dell.
    I use it on a netbook all the time. Speed should be the same because the I/O between the phone and the PC is the slowest part of the equation.
    I would recommend the Acer Aspire 1 in the 10.1 inch variety, it has pretty good specs, is very portable and gets a pretty decent battery life. Also if you feel like being adventurous you can get it in a variety of OS's including the hard to find one with a modified android os running on it
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I use a dell netbook with Windows 7 starter, it works fine. It may be a bit slower than my laptop, but it certainly gets the job done.
    I've been very happy with my Acer Aspire One. I've had it about 1.5 years. It is the original model with 8.9 inch screen. As a second very portable computer, it meets my needs.

From what I have been reading, the latest model (532H, I think) has terrific battery life.
    Samsung n510 works fine as well wosqi-wise.
    Just find whichever has the highest real world battery life (not the inflated advertised stat). My 1000HE gets between 6-7 hours of watching video.

If you can, try out the keyboards in a store. While most are now the chicklet kind, there is difference in the feel. Also, the early Dell netbooks had the F-keys as function buttons overlaid on the top row of number keys. That was a bad idea since you'll constantly be using all sorts of Fn-commands already.

Without a real graphics card, many will have trouble with the higher-res youtube videos. That is annoying.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    +1 Acer Aspire One (D250) 1.6 GHz / 1 GB Ram / WinXP

WEBOSQI is a fairly small (read:light) java app. I wouldn't think it would slow down many machines at all....
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcas View Post
    I use a dell netbook with Windows 7 starter, it works fine. It may be a bit slower than my laptop, but it certainly gets the job done.
    I did some research on Win 7 starter. Is it true you can only run 3 applications at a time and not change to background?
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    It is true that you can't change the background through conventional means, but there's a hack for that. I haven't had any issues running applications, though with it being a netbook, I am usually just e-mailing, word processing and surfing the web. I use the Microsoft office 2003 suite, and it's been fine. I saw somewhere a tear down of my machine to double the RAM to 2GB, but haven't felt the need myself.