Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    So I just got a replacement Pre a couple days ago and it has 1.4.1.1 installed. Well just a couple minutes ago I got a WebOS update notification pushed to my phone and when I open the message it says it's 1.4.1.1. Anyone know anything about this or why I might be getting the notification?

Am I the only one who got this?

I went ahead with the update and nothing appears to have changed, same OS etc. Anyone have any clues on this?
    It's probably nothing to be concerned about. Just keep an eye on it
    This happened last time right before 1.4 came out...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Maybe a sign another update is imminent?
    Hmmm, also no new apps yet today, and only one update...
    i think that was an update to the last update ha ha ha ha !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    Am I still the only one that got this update? I feel so strange. LOL
    You may have misread the message that popped up. There have been reports of Sprint pushing the latest prl update. That may have been what was updated. Just a guess tho.
    Sometime you are the ball; sometimes you are the pins.
    Okay, here is the summarized version of what im going through. I have Sprint. I want the Palm Pre Plus. But obviously I can't have that. So I am really looking into the Palm Pre from Sprint. But with the HTC EVO 4G coming out friday I am torn between getting that or the Pre. The data add-on for the Pre is $30 extra add-on for my current families plan. (Summarized, not quite) Now the Evo is a $40 data plan a month, but I dont like in a 4G area at all. I like how the webOS looks and I have been able to play around with and it was nice. But after knowing there is a better Pre with more RAM out there I am just frustrated. I keep going back and forth between the Evo and Pre. Now I have a phone contract that I am able to renew and get $150 credit towards and new 2 year contract. This would pay for the pre completely, and I would have to spend and extra $50 for the Evo. Also it will be $120 extra a year for that 4G coverage that I have no clue when will be available to me. I see that the Pre has an active Homebrew community, I've done homebrew on other devices, especially hardcore on the PSP, and iPod Touch. I have been reading a lot about the Pre being outdated, and bad battery life. But I love the physical keyboard (does it have a backlight) and the size of the phone. The Evo is HUGE. I was able to use one hands on a few days ago. So, can someone with some smartphone knowledge give me some guidance and insight. Is a Palm Pre a good starting smartphone? I also want to swipe up a touchstone. I have read that the touchstones are hard to find recently at sprint retailers, and there are rumors of the Pre Plus for sprint...rumors?
    Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl10pnr View Post
    You may have misread the message that popped up. There have been reports of Sprint pushing the latest prl update. That may have been what was updated. Just a guess tho.
    Nothing about a PRL in the update, it specifically said WebOS update 1.4.1.1 was available so I double checked my OS version to verifiy again that I was already running 1.4.1.1. and I was.

Being the curious sort I went ahead and loaded the update, it took about 10 min. rebooted it's self a couple times in the process and I'm still showing 1.4.1.1.

I'm just a bit baffled by it. Seems odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzpwnage View Post
    Now I have a phone contract that I am able to renew and get $150 credit towards and new 2 year contract. This would pay for the pre completely, and I would have to spend and extra $50 for the Evo.
    Actually you realize the "instant savings" for the phones includes your $150, right? You do not get the $150 upgrade ion top of the price. This means if you have the full upgrade rebate available the Pre is $149 and the Evo will be $199. not free and $50 as you stated.
    Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzpwnage View Post
    Okay, here is the summarized version of what im going through. I have Sprint. I want the Palm Pre Plus. But obviously I can't have that. So I am really looking into the Palm Pre from Sprint. But with the HTC EVO 4G coming out friday I am torn between getting that or the Pre. The data add-on for the Pre is $30 extra add-on for my current families plan. (Summarized, not quite) Now the Evo is a $40 data plan a month, but I dont like in a 4G area at all. I like how the webOS looks and I have been able to play around with and it was nice. But after knowing there is a better Pre with more RAM out there I am just frustrated. I keep going back and forth between the Evo and Pre. Now I have a phone contract that I am able to renew and get $150 credit towards and new 2 year contract. This would pay for the pre completely, and I would have to spend and extra $50 for the Evo. Also it will be $120 extra a year for that 4G coverage that I have no clue when will be available to me. I see that the Pre has an active Homebrew community, I've done homebrew on other devices, especially hardcore on the PSP, and iPod Touch. I have been reading a lot about the Pre being outdated, and bad battery life. But I love the physical keyboard (does it have a backlight) and the size of the phone. The Evo is HUGE. I was able to use one hands on a few days ago. So, can someone with some smartphone knowledge give me some guidance and insight. Is a Palm Pre a good starting smartphone? I also want to swipe up a touchstone. I have read that the touchstones are hard to find recently at sprint retailers, and there are rumors of the Pre Plus for sprint...rumors?
    First off, yes the Pre keyboard is backlit. Secondly not knowing what sort of family plan you are on now, my suggestion is that you switch to the everything data family plan and then all messeges and data are unlimited and included, plans start at $129.99. Third and again not knowing what your plan or situation is I would like to clarify the standard $150 discount eligibility. The 150.00 reflects the amount that will be discounted off of the full retail price of the phone plus all other applicable discounts. I know this will never add up mathematically (at least it doesn't for me) but the bottom line is that you will get the new line price of a new phone and since the PRE is currently 149.99 or EVO 199.99 that is the price you will get thru Sprint, if there is a rebate involved you May also have to pay the rebate price up front and wait for your refund. With that being said depending on your plan status it is possible that you are eligible for upgrade without having the pay the rebate. You'll have to ask at Sprint store to verify. Lastly it is my suggestion that you check both Bestbuy and Radioshack's pricing since both of these stores sell Sprint and don't do rebates.

I put some thought into the 8GB vs. 16GB memory issue and decided that I never filled my 2GB card on my other smart phones so I'd probably never need more than 8GB anyway since I don't really listen to music on my phone.

Lastly, EVO will likely be a fantastic device and personally I prefer the Android OS above WebOS, I have owned the Hero 3 different times and loved everything about it except the lack of physical keyboard and the form factor. It weighs about the same as the Pre but it is much taller which made it difficult for me to do one handed tasks (my pinky supports the bottom of the phone and my index holds the top of the device which leaves my thumb free), I had difficulties doing this with my hero because it was too tall for my fingers and the screen was so sensitive that every slight touch would trigger an action I didn't want. The EVO was something I considered waiting on but knew as lovely as it is, I would end up not liking the bulk and be unhappy with it so I went with the Pre. Stock from the factory the WebOS feels like an unfinished project to me, however with time and trial and error I have found patches that make the OS seem complete and best of all I can tweak it the way I like it. I also have Uberkernel and Govnah on my Pre so it runs overclocked at 800 mhz which makes it a bit zippier.

As with any purchase your decision has to be based on your needs and wants not what works for others.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

BTW I'm in NE Indiana and was told by a Sprint Rep and few days ago that its expected to take a couple years to get 4G in my area.
    I remember reading somewhere that the extra .1 had something to do with losing the NFL comtract.
    Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    That's possible but I already had 1.4.1.1 on my device, that's what is baffling. Must have just been a strange fluke.
    Quote Originally Posted by pegb856 View Post
    That's possible but I already had 1.4.1.1 on my device, that's what is baffling. Must have just been a strange fluke.
    are there any black vans hanging out by your house
    Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    are there any black vans hanging out by your house

Nope not that I have seen. The only thing that I can think of is if Sprint automatically pushes an update to recently activated devices to make sure they have the latest software since this is a replacement phone.