View Poll Results: Has this tweak helped you?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • I see drastic performance improvements!

60 15.63%
  • I see a small performance improvement.

197 51.30%
  • I do not notice any change in performance.

112 29.17%
  • I actually see a small slowdown in performance

6 1.56%
  • My phone is super laggy!

9 2.34%
Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey all,
    Since launch day, I have found that my Pre would get randomly slower/laggy for up to a few days at a time then speed up and get really smooth. I always thought this was a CPU bug but it seems I may have finally found the problem: the phone very often creates log files of apps and system tasks in the background, and this sometimes causes noticeable slowdown. I tried setting the logging to "minimal" and have had a VERY smooth Pre for the last few days. It's so smooth for me in fact that I've actually disabled all overclocking and am back to running at 500mhz! Here are the steps to do this, and bear in mind this is permanent unless you doctor your Pre. I haven't noticed any caveats at all since doing this, only performance improvements!

1. Open the phone dialer.
    2. For Sprint/Verizon/CDMA: Dial ##5647 (##LOGS) and press SEND. For AT&T/O2/GSM: Dial #*5647# and press SEND.
    3. Tap "Change logging levels."
    4. Tap "Set logging to minimal."
    5. Tap OK to confirm.
    6. Tap OK again after it finishes.
    7. Reboot your Pre.
    8. Enjoy the performance boost!

For more information, please see tc600's post here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2484267

Or Rod Whitby's post here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2484941

Please try this and post any feedback!

I also recommend clearing your Phone history often too if you don't need it, especially if you have a long list going back for weeks or months. It can also help bring a noticeable increase in responsiveness. To do this:

1. Open the phone dialer.
    2. Tap the Call History button in the bottom-right corner.
    3. Tap the upper-left corner menu and tap "Clear Call History."
    4. Tap "Clear Call History" again in the pop-up. No reboot required.
    Last edited by QuarlesLT; 07/14/2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Added tip for clearing call history
    jcmarcos and Rnp like this.
    Is this reducing the logging that the phone does to sprint?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    If it's that easy to change, are you sure it's permanent unless doctored? Seems odd.
    My sprint pre is even faster with my overclocking kernel. Thank you very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    But OP suggests it could be even faster.
  6.    #6  
    I believe the logging is for submissions to Palm if you have certain problems they may want that info for, but maybe HardBeatZ can chime in for clarification.
    Do you have a source for the information on the logging? As in, how did you find out about it?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    If it's that easy to change, are you sure it's permanent unless doctored? Seems odd.
    When you make the change you get a confirmation message saying that it can't be reverted back, but I'm assuming doctoring would set everything back to defaults.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    Do you have a source for the information on the logging? As in, how did you find out about it?
    It has probably been posted here before, but I randomly tried it because I submitted logs to Palm months ago for battery drain issues (still have them) and knew the option was there.
    ##5647 does nothing for my pre

I tried ##5647# and it just deletes it and does nothing

Bell palm pre... is it different?

nevermind
    apparently today i'm a bit on the dyslexic side and was dialing 5674
    Last edited by kjb86; 05/31/2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: because i'm an idiot
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Of course 800mhz will be faster, but I find the battery drain isn't worth it if I'm getting this great performance at stock speed. I can wait an extra half a second to do stuff.
    I believe some of the ## codes will vary by carrier... sounds like this is for Srint Pres so far.
    Try it! my Pre is fast!! the combination of this + UberKernel makes me forget about 1.4.5 update xD
    I did it but I don't know how you KNOW it'll be a speed enhancement
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    can we get someone else to speak on this topic? While i appreciate everything the OP is doing to help make our Pre's faster, it has been only a few days since doing this right? There could be unforseen issues related to the carrier... I'd like more info on the risk of doing this...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    im interested but id like to see an actual explanation of what it does and how it works
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    I did it but I don't know how you KNOW it'll be a speed enhancement
    Well I've tried it on mine and my boss's Pre over the last week and we notice a difference.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    all the logging does is record things that may go wrong or happen to a program that is on your phone. if this occurs and you need to send palm your log file, they may not have all the info to correct the problem. if this is not a concern you may have, it will speed up the OS. it is just like disabling error logging in windows. it shouldnt have any effect on the carrier.

also like it was mentioned before the only way it seems to fix it, would be to doctor your pre. you can however after it is set to minimal, go to set log levels and set the level per program.
  19.    #19  
    The launcher pages are especially smooth and respond to touch much better for me.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bog3nator View Post
    all the logging does is record things that may go wrong or happen to a program that is on your phone. if this occurs and you need to send palm your log file, they may not have all the info to correct the problem. if this is not a concern you may have, it will speed up the OS. it is just like disabling error logging in windows. it shouldnt have any effect on the carrier.

also like it was mentioned before the only way it seems to fix it, would be to doctor your pre. you can however after it is set to minimal, go to set log levels and set the level per program.
    Thanks for the clarification!
Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast