View Poll Results: Has this tweak helped you?

Voters
384. You may not vote on this poll
  • I see drastic performance improvements!

60 15.63%
  • I see a small performance improvement.

197 51.30%
  • I do not notice any change in performance.

112 29.17%
  • I actually see a small slowdown in performance

6 1.56%
  • My phone is super laggy!

9 2.34%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    I'm no Palm software expert, but I don't believe changing logging to minimal is a disservice to Palm. With most user software, advanced logging should only used when troubleshooting a problem. If there are no problems, then advanced logging is just using resources. When someone does experience a problem they'd like to troubleshoot, then just re-enable the advanced logging, recreate the problem, send it in and turn it off again. If it's an intermittent issue, then just keep advanced logging on until the problem occurs.
    Ridiculous amounts of logging going on by default. Too much is just as bad as not enough. Especially when you are really trying to solve a problem and don't know what to filter on. Thanks OP for the easy method to kill most of it. When my cell phone is spewing log data faster than my enterprise mail servers for a fortune 500 company does, something is seriously wrong with that phone's configuration.
    : (){:|:&};:
    I voted I didn't notice any change, but it's not accurate. I forgot to re-enable govnah after the reboot, so my phone IS snappier. It is running almost as smooth as when I overclock.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Just wanted to add in case there is someone who hasn't noticed. Jump over to 'Set Log Levels' scroll down and you can disable RDXD auto upload as well :-)
    How often do the logs get uploaded to Palm? Is it only when a crash occurs?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Just wanted to add in case there is someone who hasn't noticed. Jump over to 'Set Log Levels' scroll down and you can disable RDXD auto upload as well :-)
    Can you say what that does and how it helps to turn it off?

I switched logging to minimal. Not going to vote yet because I havent felt a difference. I wish after its done the "Set logging to minimal" button would go away. I did it twice because I thought I messed up when I saw it was still there. Also cleared my logs.
    Here's a little random info on RDXD Research RDXD - WebOS Internals

http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/Palm_Pre_privacy/

I believe GPS location, what apps you run and for how long are uploaded daily, along with some other stuff. I'm not 100% sure, I'm still researching some more on all of this but I've already disabled mine because some of the info could be considered "personal"
    I made this change yesterday, and no I'll effects so far...
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    As I said in a previous post, I set everything to minimal and noticed an increase in the snap of the phone. I really like the change. It seems to be much more responsive with less lag. So, instead of waiting a second for something to register it seems to be much more instantaneous.

However, my question for those in the know is: What about the " Java Module Log Levels" under the "Set log levels" tab? Everything else is now set to "Err" (minimal) but the java module levels are still set to "severe". Should these be left alone or can we decrease the amount of logging that java modules do?
  10.    #150  
    I believe, in the case of the "Java Module Log Levels," that logging only occurs if something really severe happens, so they should be even less frequent than the logs set to "error." It's probably best for those to be left alone.
    Honestly I can't tell a difference, but that doesn't mean there isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Where is the Set Log Levels?
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert View Post
    Where is the Set Log Levels?
    Figured it out...apologies.
  14. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    GPS Fix options information? Anyone?
    I can't really tell if things are working faster or not.

WHOA, NEVERMIND. Just cranked it up to 800mhz and this thing loads some cards almost instantly.

I wonder what other tricks we can use to slim down what webOS is doing in the background. I'm the kind of guy that does msconfig in Windows and turns almost everything off.

Needless to say, I like this tweak! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    Set logs to minimal yesterday and then manually set the entries that allowed it to NONE. Also turned off the RDXD Auto. Could be placebo, but phone is a bit snappier when opening and closing apps. Also does anyone else notice improvements in battery?

Again could be placebo, but so far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I believe you just tap Restore Base Profile.
    Did this yesterday, and tapping Restore Base Profile returned it to normal.
    Phone was acting sluggish today and experienced a Luna Restart (which hasn't happened in a while) so I tried to Restore Base Profile and it stated that levels were already at desired levels. Checked Set Log Levels tab and everything remained at the minimal settings. Grrr.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Giving it a try
    There is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Did this yesterday, and tapping Restore Base Profile returned it to normal.
    Phone was acting sluggish today and experienced a Luna Restart (which hasn't happened in a while) so I tried to Restore Base Profile and it stated that levels were already at desired levels. Checked Set Log Levels tab and everything remained at the minimal settings. Grrr.
    Did you reboot after making the change?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Yeah, not sure how the Base Profile inherited the minimal settings. I did create a new profile yesterday just to see what would happen, deleted it immediately after creating it. I don't remember what sequence I did all this in now (meaning, I don't remember if I restored the base profile before or after creating and deleting the Test profile).
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I've had my Sprint Pre from day one and loved almost everything about it except the incredibly laggy performance. Coming from the amazingly snappy original Palm OS made this even more galling. However, I have never installed any patches, homebrews, or made any modifications beyond the official OS updates and apps installed from the official app catalog. Until today.

This mod seemed harmless enough, easy to implement, and easily reversible, so I tried it. OMG! I noticed an immediate and gratifying improvement in UI performance. This is a happy day! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Who knows, I may get bold enough to install Preware now!
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast